• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine To Star In D&D Movie

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021. Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble...

The long, slow process towards a modern take on D&D movies took a large step forward with the announcement of a huge star signed to the project. Considering that filming is set to start soon a cascade of announcements should be revealed in initiative order imminently. Filming begins in Q1 2021.

Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley will be directing the film which features "an ensemble cast and take a subversive approach to the game."

chris-pine-variety-studio.jpg

Chris Pine has closed a deal to star in Dungeons & Dragons, the live action film based on Hasbro’s massively popular role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Hasbro/eOne and Paramount are jointly producing and financing, with eOne distributing in the UK and Canada, and Paramount the rest of the world.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
:looks at what you wrote:
:looks at tons of material discussing LotR as commentary based on Tolkien's experience with WWI:
shrugs
Yep, even noted allegory-hater Tolkien made commentary on real life in his work.

Most good fantasy and sci-fi does.

What do you think about a D&D movie based in the module "castle Greyhawk", the module, not the world. The castle would be a demiplane created by a lord fey (who visited our world and fall in love with the geek culture) and is a trap for dungeon crawlers, not to hurt them really but to mock them, a hilarious version of haunted house. Like a pocket universe from Ravenloft but created with hilarious reasons. It would be a mixture of comedy and adventure, fun even for people who doesn't know D&D lore. It would be almost a spoof movie. Then end is everybody survive, but with the pride totally broken by the humilliations and the pranks. Then the bard has got an idea, and all the music she was listening for the adventures of the castle is her new source of inspiration and she makes a lot of money playing bardcore covers of music from our world. And the illusionist invents the cinema industry thanks a magic lamp to record videos.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While I agree your proposed explanation is true, I don’t buy that rotten tomatoes critic score actually changes what people watch and enjoy, nearly ever.

I was talking about relevance. Rottentomatoes gets something like 26 million unique visitors each month - 14 million or so of them from the US. It typically rests in the top 150 most visited websites in the US. You don't get hundreds of millions of visits a year to sites folks feel is not relevant to them. They find it relevant to them, even if it doesn't change what they choose to see.

I don't think honest critique/criticism exists to change what you enjoy, so I find that extraneous.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Tolkien wasn't as much "commenting on" WWI (or II) as his writing was affected by his experience

I don't really feel like getting into an argument with you about how commentary can and does exist, even if the author does not intend it.

doctorbadwolf

I was talking about relevance. Rottentomatoes gets something like 26 million unique visitors each month - 14 million or so of them from the US. It typically rests in the top 150 most visited websites in the US. You don't get hundreds of millions of visits a year to sites folks feel is not relevant to them. They find it relevant to them, even if it doesn't change what they choose to see.

I don't think honest critique/criticism exists to change what you enjoy, so I find that extraneous.
Criticism came into the discussion in the context of the idea that it indicates what the general audience will buy into and spend money on, so it's relevant primarily in that context.

And people visit the site, sure. And they care more about the audience score than the critic score in the context of what they watch.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Criticism came into the discussion in the context of the idea that it indicates what the general audience will buy into and spend money on,

"Critical acclaim," came into the discussion in the context of an assertion that positive acclaim is an indication of quality.

doctorbadwolf

"Critical acclaim," came into the discussion in the context of an assertion that positive acclaim is an indication of quality.
I think the context was more about the success of the movie, but I don't care enough about this to go further down the rabbit hole.

I find this kind of quibbling very tiring, to absolutely no benefit.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I would love to see a movie with a group of scoundrels (various race/class mix) in a Dragon Heist style plot......Not the Dragon Heist adventure we got, but the one we all had in our heads when it was first announced.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I would love to see a movie with a group of scoundrels (various race/class mix) in a Dragon Heist style plot......Not the Dragon Heist adventure we got, but the one we all had in our heads when it was first announced.
WotC: "Hey, want to play this adventure called Dragon Heist?"
Players: "Hell yeah! We get to rob a dragon!"
WotC: "Actually, they're just coins, that are called dragons."
Players: "Oh..."
WotC: "And you're preventing the heist, actually, not taking place in it."
Players: "...so we play narcs? Weak."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads