• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Chris Tulach, of WotC, Talks 4E at ConnCon

mmaranda

First Post
Chris Tulach was at ConnCon today and he mentioned several interesting facts in a speech he presented at dinner.

Origins is expected to have 2 new 4E "preview" style adventures.

Return to the Moathouse is going to be one of them. It will be a delve back into the moathouse near Homlet. Mike Mearls is slated to write it.

Winter Fantasy and other Cons are expected to be test beds for new concepts. They may have opportunities to play Pre-Generated characters with new skill, powers, classes or races. And Developers will be on hand to receive feedback.

DDI will be a place where they preview ideas before things get to print.

World Wide Games Day will be the day after 4E is released to stores. June 6th is the release and 7th is the games day <My notes don't have the dates so I am puling them from memory>.

One of the trivia style games is going to be a D&D family feud thing. Chris claimed it was fun.

WWGD will have more events than appeared last year (still only one mod, but trivia games, and the like). It will be 4E and is expected to be a lead up to Keep on the Shadowfell.

RPGA in general information:
RPGA Classics will return. They will be D&D Championship preliminary and final adventures. They will be released as classics after their time as championship qualifiers is over.

Living Forgotten Realms specific new:
All major cons (Origins, Gen-Con, D&D XP) will have 2 round specials.

LFR adventures will have an expected 3 month development time and each story line and final adventure will be cleared by WotC.

WotC will be buying the writes to all mods written.

There are expected to be several dozen mods released at the start of the campaign.

Still no decision on: How treasure will be handled, what Interactives will be like (if they exist), what there will be (if anything) to act as Time Units/upkeep

Last edited:

Rugger

Explorer
My fingers are crossed that this all pans out... I generally enjoy LG and the idea of Con campaign-games...

Oh and several dozen mods available at launch? Color me skeptical...

-Matt

mmaranda

First Post
Given the RPGAs tendency to exaggerate I agree. But it sounded like the plan was to have 3 mods from each region ready at launch.

mmaranda

First Post
The Campaign will premier at GenCon. Campaign guidelines will be ready before that. (No hard date for when guidelines would be available, it won't be until after the PHB/DMG/MM are out.)

mmaranda said:
World Wide Games Day will be the day after 4E is released to stores, June 7th.

WWGD will have more events than appeared last year (still only one mod, but trivia games, and the like). It will be 4E and is expected to be a lead up to Keep on the Shadowfell.

Ok, first of all, how do you "lead up" to a first level adventure? Secondly, how do you "lead up" to something that's been out for 2 or 3 weeks?

-TRRW

The_Baldman

Explorer
Rugger said:
My fingers are crossed that this all pans out... I generally enjoy LG and the idea of Con campaign-games...

Oh and several dozen mods available at launch? Color me skeptical...

-Matt

The correct quote is 'more then a dozen' and not several dozen. Big difference there.

cdrcjsn

First Post
mmaranda said:
Given the RPGAs tendency to exaggerate I agree. But it sounded like the plan was to have 3 mods from each region ready at launch.

I doubt it'll be 3 mods per region. Each one is only getting 4 or 5 mods per year total. The initial ones will probably be written by the admins themselves.

1 mod per region (12 regions) plus a few core mods sounds about right though. Enough material for several conventions at least (taking into account LG stuff also premiering) which leaves enough time for other volunteers to write the rest of the scenarios for the year.

Remove ads