• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

christmas goodies lament

lior_shapira

Explorer
last year around this time there were so many discounts going on I really felt like a little kid at... well, christmas time. White wolf had big discounts and I got all three counter collection books, FFG lowered their legend and lair books to 5$ each so I got lots of them... ah, the good old days. This year we only have the drivethrurpg discount (which is nice I admit) and an email from the guys that hacked into White Wolf, threatening to reveal all my personal details (oo scary). Merry Christmas!

I know being jewish and all, I shouldn't expect good things on christmas ;) but I've grown accustomed to good things :)

Merry christmas everyone from Israel :) !

lior

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Actually, all of those sales were -- for the industry and continued support -- bad things. Sales like we saw last year came about because of how bad sales were for so many publishers.

The reason we're not seeing the exact same thing this year is that the publishers that were having the sales slowed -- or in many cases, stopped -- production of new d20 materials. Additionally, many publishers dumped product on liquidators in order to clear space in their warehouses for products with commercial appeal and value.

Anytime you see such a massive sale from so many publishers at once you must ask yourself what their reasoning is.

So while those sales were a great thing for gamers -- at the time -- the long-term effect is anything but positive.

lior_shapira

Explorer
point taken. it is a shame I guess, I really liked the legends&lairs product line.

But in all markets there are always ups and downs, its logical that product lines and companies, even really good ones, end eventually. And its good that when they do stop that customers can get the material at an attractive price, cutting the companies loss. Then the cycle continues and new companies bring out new product lines, for example Mike Mearls who wrote the best L&L books in my opinion is thriving in Malhavoc...

lior

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
lior_shapira said:
. . . I really liked the legends&lairs product line.

Agreed.

lior_shapira said:
Then the cycle continues and new companies bring out new product lines, for example Mike Mearls who wrote the best L&L books in my opinion is thriving in Malhavoc...

Though he is no longer with Malhavoc and is now at WotC. But yes, some of the better Legends & Lairs releases were written by Mike.

Storm Raven

First Post
lior_shapira said:
last year around this time there were so many discounts going on I really felt like a little kid at... well, christmas time. White wolf had big discounts and I got all three counter collection books, FFG lowered their legend and lair books to 5$ each so I got lots of them... ah, the good old days. This year we only have the drivethrurpg discount (which is nice I admit) and an email from the guys that hacked into White Wolf, threatening to reveal all my personal details (oo scary). Merry Christmas!

SJGames has many of their GURPS titles on sale. Granted, it is due to their move, and not necessarily Christmas related, but there you are. White Wolf seems to still be having their annual Christmas sale, despite the hacking incident.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Voadam said:
Plenty of sales at www.rpgnow.com as well, such as the TSR ESDs and goodman games titles.

I picked up a bunch of goodman games ones and might take advantage of the DTRPG one as well.

And Drive Thru RPG has an almost across the board 20% off sale right now. Good time to download Legends & Lairs PDFs, they're about $4.00 each right now. :)

The Auld Grump

Remove ads