Chronicles of Mesion: Considering Hiatus; Comments Needed.

LordVyreth

First Post
Mesion Excerpt #4: The Secret Sermon

The Secret Sermon

I look at those gathered around me and I feel pride. For years unfathomable by the mortal mind I have struggled to reach the level of power that I now have, but it was worth it. I knew that I would not be able to conquer my own weaknesses, let alone have the right and the honor to lead and inspire others, until I could become the equal of the creators themselves, using my own skills and abilities to be a peer of the makers of Mesion and the beings that guide it to this very day. You must understand that to be a teacher and a guide to you, my people, is the most difficult and rewarding task of my long life.

And yes, I do refer to you as people. I know that few would give you that right. They’ve called you animals, monsters, and simply threats to “society.” But I know that you are thinking, feeling creatures, because I have felt what you feel and thought what you think. I know the conflict; the desire to be part of two worlds as one, and the temptation to give in to one side entirely. I have struggled against that temptation to the point that I was willing to become little more than a slave and a pawn of greater forces to resist it. But those days are long gone, and now I offer the same gift of control that I once received. Instead of unquestioning loyalty, however, I request only your faith and honor, the same honor I want to give you. Give me this, and you will be able to retain the strength and power you can now call your own without shame while holding on to the things that make you above a mere creature. And I know your suspicions regarding this, but I assure you that when I speak of such things, I am not referring to the foolish morality that emphasizes so-called good and evil. We more than anyone know that the only rule of reality that remains consistent is that the strong thrive and the weak are the tools of the strong, and that civilization is nothing but this rule with further complexities added. But those complexities are what we must value the most! The appreciation of fine art, the way the music moves the very soul, the splendor of nature’s beauty, and the love of one’s kin are our right as much as anyone’s to enjoy. No, it’s our right more than others, because we have to strength to claim them and we know what it’s like to lose them.

My people, my followers, my friends: join me and create a new, better, authentic society. United, nobody can stop us. Not the half-beings some of us once were, not the muddled crossbreeds that betray our nature to join their civilization, and not even the celestials and fiends that so often ravage our land will oppose us. Even the Primals will be helpless before our strength.

Name of high/priest avatar withheld

OOC Notes: Unlike Earlier Excerpts, this one's source is potentially obvious to readers or players of my earlier campaign. To others, there's some clues as to who the speaker is addressing, but beyond that you'll have to wait and see!

LordVyreth

First Post
I love a Parade: The Night of the Parade

Just as the sun started to set and evening began, an excited crowd gathered around a seemingly unimportant turn in the middle of the parade route. As expected, they cheered the city’s various heroes and the treasures on display until a float approached that, unlike all the others, didn’t seem to be slowing down for the next turn. In fact, it wasn’t turning at all! Panicking, the crowd fled in every direction to get away from the barricade the float was about to crash into. With a deafening smash, the float burst through the barricade without even slowing down. As it did so, one of the two watch guards on the float was knocked screaming from the float. He landed in a heap in the middle of the float’s path, and was apparently knocked unconscious by the fall.

From the float right behind it, Luke and Ik looked on in shock. They knew about an attack, but despite the research the rest of his team were doing, they didn’t know that such an elaborate plan to separate the target float was underway. They had little time to ponder this, however, for they soon realized that both their float and the one right behind it, which held the unbreakable column, also were going into the dark alleyway behind the barricade. Fortunately, since the first float smashed into it so hard, the barricade was mostly destroyed before the other floats reached it, ensuring no more accidents like the one that was about to claim the life of one of the watch guards.

From the shadows of the alleyway, Anastacia, Enrique, Elvis, Lorren, and Grim emerged. None of them were too pleased with what they saw. “I thought Treafilel said only one float would go this way,” Anastacia muttered.

Enrique shrugged. “Maybe we can’t trust our patron as much as he claimed. I’m not surprised.”

They soon realized they would have bigger problems, however. From above, the howls of countless humanoids monsters could be heard. Luke, who had a better view from the top of the second float, looked up with worry. Why were so many creatures attacking one treasure, no matter how valuable it is?

Before the floats reached the first humanoids, however, they had to worry about the more traditional thieves. From the ground, Lorren fired on the last surviving guard on the Jewel’s float with a bolt of magic, and Elvis followed it up with an arrow, sending the inexperienced warrior to the ground in a bleeding heap. Meanwhile, Enrique, Anastacia, and Grim made their way onto the catwalks of the float itself, with the swift-footed barbarian Grim easily taking the lead. He already was at the gem’s pedestal and trying to pry it out when the first threats appeared.

From the second float, Ik made a risky leap onto the lead float, and she managed to successfully land on one of the twisting catwalks leading to the top of the float and the pedestal. Meanwhile, three goblins made the equally daring leap from nearby rooftops. One made it as far as the top of the float, a second made it to one of the side catwalks, and a third severely mistimed a jump and ended up dangling on one of the float’s railings.

Elvis boarded one side of the float and began to swing at the goblin on the lower catwalks, while Enrique and Anastacia moved to block the top goblin from distracting Grim as he continued to work on removing the Jewel of Success. When Enrique reached the top of the float, however, Ik looked at him with recognition. “Hey, I know you!” she shouted accusatorily. “You were hired to help guard the float. You were supposed to work for us!”

His co-conspirators looked at Enrique angrily, but he just shrugged. “I just wanted to get more information. Don’t worry; I’m here to protect you. I want in on this Jewel as much as you do.”

Meanwhile, Lorren fired another blast of magic at the dangling goblin, and when that didn’t finish him off, he picked him off with a crossbow shot. With the goblin dead, he quickly ran to catch up to the lead float and leapt onto the lower catwalk before he got left behind.

Back at the top of the float, Anastacia and Enrique were trading blows with the goblin, but Anastacia appeared to be doubtful about the whole thing. She looked at Ik, who had a similar hesitation about current events, “Hey, you?” Anastacia muttered. “What do you say that we work together on this one? Whichever side wins, the other will vouch for the loser?”

Ik thought about it, and shrugged. “Fair enough. I’ve only been with the watch for a day anyway.”

Back on the second float, Luke blessed his dwindling side, and then began to fire at his enemies with his own crossbow. For now, his main concern were the humanoid monsters, since he knew firsthand how brutal they could be and how many were in the city. One shot struck the lower goblin, which Elvis finished off. The final goblin was killed by Anastacia and Enrique just as Grim managed to finally pry the Jewel from its pedestal! The heist was already almost a success!

But there was no time to celebrate. As the floats proceeded forward, the lead one drew parallel to a wooden mechanism on a nearby roof. Suddenly, the device lowered, creating a bridge from the roof to the float! Four kobolds carefully navigated the bridge, mindful of the difficulty of reaching the still moving float before it got past the bridge. Seeing how crowded it was on top of the float, only two of the kobolds reached that point, where they swarmed on Enrique to reach Grim and his treasure. The other two jumped to the lower catwalks to engage Ik and Elvis. One scored a lucky shot on the confused bard, knocking her unconscious. It was rewarded, however, by a crossbow bolt between the eyes by an increasingly frustrated Luke.

Despite the element of surprise, however, the kobolds had a very short-lived success. As Grim pocketed the gem and moved away from the upper layers to escape with the reward, Anastacia, Enrique, and Elvis converged on the three surviving kobolds. Anastacia, enraged at losing her new ally, drove her rapier right through one of the tiny reptile’s heads, while Elvis struck another one down with his longsword. Enrique wounded the third, and it was brought down with more magic by Lorren.

The next wave of humanoids struck immediately, but it was underwhelming at best. Four more goblin leapers dove at the float, but the roofs were farther from the road at this point and the jump was much more difficult. One missed the float entirely and landed on the ground. A loud, audible snap could be heard from somewhere inside its body, and it collapsed immediately from the pain. A second suffered an even worse fate, as it mistimed the jump completely and fell between the first two floats! It couldn’t move out of the way in time, and with one last anguished cry, it was crushed by the wheels of the massive float.

As the party moved to engage the final two, they saw that another barricade was set up just a few dozen feet down the road! Unlike the last one, this one didn’t appear to be set up by the city, as it looked like it was made hastily and with little effort. Most likely, it was done by the humanoids, the thief’s guild, or whatever forces rigged the floats and hired much of the party in the first place. With the risk of falling off the float now the priority, the party moved to duck behind railings and defenses and only swung at the goblins after it was safe. Nonetheless, another goblin was killed by Grim. When the lead float hit the barricade, some of the part was knocked off their feet, but the only once knocked off the float entirely was the final goblin, which apparently didn’t see the barricade in time.

But while it appeared that the assault of the humanoids was starting to slow down, some of its most powerful allies still remained. Two orcs charged out of the next houses passed, where they quickly got onto the float and targeted Elvis and Lorren, who were still on the lower levels of the catwalk. Elvis nimbly dodged the attack, but Lorren was surprised by the sudden threat. The orc effortlessly stabbed the young mage in the chest, leaving him dying. Before he could climb farther up the catwalk, however, the orc was nearly sliced in half by the suddenly enraged Grim!

As Enrique and Elvis teamed up on the remaining orc, Grim used his limited training as a healer to stop the bleeding on his ally. Unlike his efforts on the wounded rogue earlier, he was successful here. Meanwhile, Anastacia and Luke noticed that more kobolds were waiting on the next few roofs. Unlike the earlier kobolds, they didn’t have bridges, and they didn’t seem the type to leap onto the float. Instead, they were armed with slings, suggesting that they were archers. Both sides fired a volley of arrows, bolts, and rocks at each other until the party noticed the next obstacle. A small trench was dug into the road, and while it wasn’t likely to cause a float to crash completely, they did look deep enough to shake up the floats again! The party dove behind more barricades just in time.

When they got up again, most of the party turned their attention on the archer kobolds, but a few noticed that they were under attack by less obvious threats. Luke chanced a look behind him and noticed a strange figure was boarding the last float, which contained nothing but the supposedly useless gem column. The man was fully clad in a strange black armor, and while he couldn’t see the details due to the obstruction of the column and the poor light, it almost looked like the armor was shifting and moving, as if it was alive. Meanwhile, Enrique noticed a cloaked figure was sneaking onto his float. He carefully moved behind the hiding threat, and noticed with a shock that it was Treafilel!

Enrique tried to shout a warning while attacking their treasonous employer, but while he gave the rogue a vicious cut across his back, it wasn’t enough. He plunged his sword into the unaware Grim, leaving the unconscious barbarian grasping onto the last inch of his life. He noticed Enrique was staring at him with hatred and smiled. “You fools,” he gloated. “You were nothing but a diversion to our real target.” Enrique silenced him with one swing of his sword.

As Treafilel crumpled over dying, though, the mysterious black armored man reached the column. He drew a tiny, seemingly useless hammer and swung it at the column with all of his might. Despite being supposedly unbreakable, the column shattered with one blow! The man casually tossed away the hammer and took his apparently target; a strange rod that was apparently contained inside the column. Luke desperately fired at the man, but he walked on without seeming to care about the attacks. He leapt off of the float and then jumped down an open sewer entrance that was right next to the float when he got off. If this was what Treafilel gave his life to distract the party from, it apparently went off perfectly.

But the rogues of the party had bigger concerns than that. They had allies to heal and heist to finish. Elvis quickly took Grim’s pouch containing the Jewel of Success and then tried to heal the dying Grim. When that failed, Anastacia and Enrique desperately tried to help, even though they weren’t as trained at the art of healing as Elvis was. Nonetheless, they managed to stabilize their friend just before he would have died from blood loss. Anastacia and Elvis grabbed the unconscious Grim and Lorren, respectively, and dashed towards the nearest open building. As they fled, a loud sound could be heard from the other side of the alleyway, and hundreds of guards and soldiers began to rush in to secure the area!

Luke, grateful to finally get reinforcements, shouted, “Over here. They went this way!” He then began to follow the fleeing thieves, unaware that Enrique was sneaking up on Luke himself. With the heist successful, Enrique didn’t want to further endanger his reputation by killing another guard of the city, and attacking a priest of a notably good god just struck him as wrong anyway. He instead swung at him with his sap, hoping to simply knock the cleric unconscious. He narrowly missed, but Elvis noticed the attack and moved to help Enrique. He decided to follow Enrique’s lead and simply struck Luke in the head with the blunt edge of his sword. Already wounded from the kobold’s earlier rock barrage, Luke collapsed, and as he watched the rogues flee, everything went black…

“Are you alright?” someone shouted, much louder than he appreciated at the moment, as Luke regained consciousness. He found himself in the same alleyway, and it looked much darker out, suggesting that several hours had passed. He looked around, and he noticed both Ik and the guard that Lorren and Elvis brought down were similarly recovering from their wounds.

“I’m fine,” he groaned. “Look, we have to go after the thieves!”

“Don’t worry about that,” the militia officer questioning him ordered. “Just tell me what happened.”

Luke explained the entire story, and as he neared the end of it, he saw Operative Vel approaching him. He pulled the officer aside, exchanged a few quick words too quietly for Luke to hear, and then looked at both Luke and Ik. “Both of you, come with me,” he tersely addressed them. Nervously, the two began to follow him.

They quickly made their way through the crowds witnessing the investigation and noticed a half-orc in an Operative uniform addressing the people. He was trying to placate the situation as well as he could. “Let me explain what happened. It nothing important. There was crash, a big fight, some guard casualties, but nothing go wrong. Investigation ongoing. We find anything serious, we let you know.”

“Who is that? I can’t believe he’s an Operative,” Ik comments with disbelief.

“That’s Operative Grok,” Luke explained. “He’s the Operative’s public relations man. They always bring him out when something goes wrong. He’s supposed to be relaxing to the public. I think the general assumption is that people think that if anything really horrible happened, they wouldn’t let somebody like Grok talk about it, which makes it easy to convince people that nothing really horrible happens.”

Vel led the worried duo to a hastily assembled tent, where they had at least some privacy. As soon as he was away from the crowd, Vel’s voice turned softer and more serious. “As you are aware of, we have a situation we must deal with.”

Luke gulped. “Yes, about the Jewel of Success…”

Vel interrupted him, however. “Forget about the Jewel of Success! We already have contingencies in place for that. The destruction of the gem column, however, and the mysterious rod that was inside it are much bigger issues. We already had magic used to divine its purpose, and the gods have been silent. We haven’t seen them be this quiet since the Bladestill and their unwillingness to discuss its cause. This situation may be urgent.”

“What are we going to do about it?”

“Well, we’ll do as little as possible in public. If it gets out that we let a major magic item disappear during the Parade, public confidence in our government will shatter. An investigation will be needed, however, so preferably information about this event will involve as few people as necessary. That’s where you two come in. As eye witnesses, you already are aware of the event, and as you are the only ones who saw both the rod and its thief, you are ideally suited to lead this investigation.”

Ik looked worried about this. “Just the two of us? What about that third guard?”

Vel shook his head. “He was knocked unconscious before he saw anything, making him strictly outside of the “need to know” classification. However, we have some other investigators that could prove useful to you.” He slid a bag full of papers to Luke. “This contains information on where to find them, means to help you persuade your other investigators to join you, initial funds to finance any starting equipment, some leads to help you start your investigation, and a location outside of the city where you will meet with another Operative, who will give you additional funds equal to 1,000 gold.” He then tossed ten gold each at Luke and Ik. “And this is your pay for last night’s work. Given the success of your ‘guarding,’ I’m sure you can understand if we don’t give you any further bonus. However, if you can assist us in this investigation, your rewards will be much greater”

“I’m in!” Ik eagerly said after hearing about how hefty their initial reward was. She left to make preparations, but Luke waited behind. He seemed conflicted about the mission and its scope still.

Sensing that hesitation, Vel leaned in. “We are also prepared to offer further rewards based on a successful performance. We are well aware of your concern about High Priest Infernis of the Ehlonna church. We agree that he may have some disturbing positions, but a response to it is not our priority. However, if you work for us in ending this incident, we may be more inclined to alter our priorities. Do I make myself clear?”

Luke sighed. He couldn’t refuse if working for Vel meant his church could be saved. “Very well. I’ll work with you, but I still don’t think the Jewel of Success can be ignored.

Vel just smiled. “As I said, we already have preparations for that made…”

“Well, at least I owe you one thing,” the old man said as he examined the Jewel of Success. “You finally proved something I always suspected. The city fakes at least some of the treasures on display in the Prosperity Parade.”

Anastacia looked crestfallen. “You mean it’s a fake? How do you know that?”

The old man shrugged. “You don’t work as a fence and live to be 92 years old without learning the real value of goods. The gem itself is pretty expensive, but the only magical aura on it is there to make the thing only look magical.”

“So how much is it really worth?” Lorren, who along with Grim was brought back to consciousness with rest and a little healing, asked.

“Well, you could probably get three thousand gold or so in the right market. If you’re willing to travel a bit, the city of Ciudadbonita has a well-respected curio shop. But good luck getting anything near that here. I’ll give you five hundred gold for it, and I’m being generous. I’ll never find a buyer for it here until things quiet down.”

Enrique glowered at Lorren. “Are you sure we can trust this guy? I still think we shouldn’t have shown this to anyone until we got out of the city.”

“I know him, he can be trusted!” Lorren protested. “Besides, what makes you think we’ll get out of the city any time soon? We’ll get caught if we even try.”

“In a city this big? That’s ridiculous. They’ll never find us,” Enrique argued.

“Maybe not if we just go into hiding here, but they’re bound to stop us if we try to leave, at least through the main gates. Remember that there were eyewitnesses. Those guards at least know what we look like.”

“Actually, I have a plan to help all of us,” a voice announced from outside. All eyes turned to see Luke and Ik standing outside. Several hands went to weapons, but Luke shook his head and held up his own unarmed hands in a gesture of peace. “No, I only want to talk!” he quickly said before violence can erupt. “Look, I don’t like this any more than you do, but I learned that the Fra Dane government is willing to make a deal. You remember that black-armored warrior that shattered the pillar and stole a rod? The city doesn’t care about the Jewel of Success. They just want to know about this guy and the rod, and they’re willing to offer you full pardons and a share of a thousand gold in exchange, with more money available if we find anything.”

The five rogues pondered this, and after some negotiations, they agreed. “But that doesn’t help us out of the city, does it?” Elvis asked.

Luke pulled out the first of several documents from the satchel and showed it to his new party members. “They Operatives even took care of that. There’s an inn known as the Dane’s Edge, which leans slightly over the wall. The watch patrols the area with extra care, but there are gaps in the patrol which the Operatives gave us. All we need to do is order the ‘special’ room extends past the wall, and we can escape from there.”

Later that night at the Dane’s Edge, the party was examining the materials in the satchel to plan their next move and what lead to follow. “According to this file, they tracked the humanoids we killed to three tribes. The good news is that the three tribes are more or less in the same area. The bad news, though, is that all three reside in the Gate of Madness,” Lorren read.

Grim groaned. “Well, that’s out. I’m not going in that place. I heard that since the Bladestill, the whole dungeon’s gone insane!”

“That’s not entirely true,” Ik retorted. “The first few levels are supposed to be more or less normal. It gets weirder when you get deeper in, but it’s not uninhabitable.”

“Well, I’d prefer to wait on that until we’re better prepared,” Enrique said. “What else do we have?”

“The city’s convinced somebody smuggled the humanoids into the city. They suspect some performing group called Henna and Hecubine’s Otherworldly Wonders. The group already has some suspicions about using performers as a cover for smuggling and even slavery, or possibly the reverse and they harbored escaped slaves. Either way, they want us to infiltrate them and find out what they know,” Elvis said as he reviewed another file.

Ik looked excited at this possibility, but Anastacia was dismissive. “Forget it. How are must of us supposed to convince them that we’re performers? Besides, I’d like a mission with a little more action.”

“Well, this is the last one,” Luke muttered as he examined another file. “The city thinks some sort of secret society must have created a plan this complex. They want us to find a man they believe belongs to a local secret society. His name is Guillermo Del Grande…”

Enrique recognized the name instantly. “That’s it! He’s my uncle; we have to find out what’s happening to him.”

Luke shrugged as he read the rest of the file. “Well, his last known location is Ciudadbonita. You said that there’s a good place to sell your so-called Jewel of Success, right?”

“I still don’t think it’s a fake…” Enrique began, but Grim, who was still nursing his injuries that almost killed him, nodded eagerly, as he needed no convincing the item didn’t help at all.

“We can kill two birds with one stone if we take this lead, right?” Luke asked. The others soon agreed, and a plan for tomorrow was made. The party looked at the other items in the satchel, including the disposed and seemingly innocent hammer used to the destroy the pillar, a flute that Vel insisted could be used to contact the Operatives in most civilized lands, and a tiny sculpture of an arrow that the files suggest might be related to Guillermo. This would be the beginning of their adventure together, but the ending was far less obvious and its consequences could change the face of Mesion itself.

OOC Notes: And so the first adventure ends after a third session. The party is now working together, so the party’s options expand. From hereon, there will be several leads or alternate adventure paths the party can consider, and I intend to railroad this game as little as possible.

Grok deserves a special mention. He was originally my character in another game. He started out as a generic half-orc fighter, but when I noticed how cheap a hat of disguise is, I couldn’t resist giving him one. His gimmick was that he’s a generic stupid orc, but he refuses to act like one. He would always wear disguises, try tricking people, and even provide exposition, and that legacy lives on in Mesion.

Last edited:

LordVyreth

First Post
Discovering a New World: The First Journeys

The first order of business would be finding a way to Ciudadbonita. Many options were proposed: simply walking, buying horses, getting a wizard to teleport the new party, even taking a boat part way. But all were considered too dangerous or too expensive. They even considered combining two of their leads by working for Henna and Hecubine and convincing them to go in the right direction, but they realized it was unlikely getting them to go in exactly the right direction, especially if the city is right and the duo really were involved in nefarious deeds. Grim even considered suggesting that they travel with his menagerie of animals but thought better about getting his loved ones involved.

Finally, the party decided to rent the service of some carriage drivers. It was relatively cheap, and at least they’d have the protection of the vehicles if something went wrong. When they looked for interested drivers, they only found one group interested. A kalashtar named Kanatash and a xeph named Cyra were co-owners of their small transportation service, and they were willing to make the fairly risky journey of 150 miles to the city. However, as they were planning for the journey, a messenger suddenly brought something to Ik. Her face darkened as she read it. “I’m afraid I can’t join you on this specific mission,” she said gravely. “I have something I must do. As soon as you finish with Guillermo, return to Fra Dane and I should be able to assist you again.”

Luke and the others were disappointed to lose an ally, even if only temporarily, but they parted ways for now. With that settled, the party quickly finished selling what they could find from the heist, bought provisions, and then simply decided who would go in which carriage.

“I’ll keep watch in the front,” Elvis volunteered, and he went into the front carriage, where Kanatash was already waiting to guide the horses.

Luke nodded. “Well, that’s not my specialty. I’ll stay in the rear carriage to protect and heal anybody who needs it.”

As soon as they heard the cleric would go in the back, Anastacia and Enrique dashed into the front carriage. Grim, however, just watched them and chuckled as he and Lorren joined Luke in the back carriage. “Apparently they never met an enthusiastic kalashtar before,” he muttered with amusement.

As the carriages set off, the party members in the back carriage could faintly hear Kanatash ask his riders, “Say, friends, have you heard the news about the All-Powerful Truth of the Universe? Let me explain…,” followed by the screaming of Enrique.

Almost a day and a half passed without incident, and the party almost reached the town of Rosavilla, a fairly popular crossroads almost sixty miles from Fra Dane. However, on the second day, the carriages suddenly skidded to a halt.

“What’s the problem?” Lorren asked with irritation.

Cyra pointed ahead to a river blocking the path. “There used to be a bridge here. We were just on this road a couple of months ago, and it was fine then. We’re going to have to find a safe place to ford the carriages. The river’s too deep here.”

As the combat-inexperienced drivers waited behind, the party explored the nearby paths to find a way across the river. They soon came to a wide, often used clearing right next to the river. Sensing an ambush, however, they carefully examined the area, and Enrique stumbled upon a symbol carved into a nearby tree. “It looks like a bull’s head,” he commented as he studied the symbol. “Or a demon’s,” he added ominously.

Anastacia looked at the symbol and shook her head. “No, that’s Adventurer’s Cant. Explorers use it to warn each other of danger or inform them about unusual or useful locations. This symbol means ‘Be prepared to defend yourself.’”

Elvis looked at the clearing, and thought he saw something moving in a bush on the other side. “Sounds like a good idea to me!” he shouted as he suddenly fired to catch whatever was hiding in the bush by surprise. To his own surprise, however, the bush itself started screaming!

As Elvis, Luke, and Lorren fired on the bush, and became increasingly surprised as the bush itself fired back at them, Enrique, Anastacia, and Grim carefully entered the clearing to check for other enemies. Their concern was soon justified, for a strange red snake slithered onto the top of a nearby hill, seemingly to watch the battle, while a strange predatory cat bounded towards the frontrunners of the party. Horrifyingly, the skin around its face somehow peeled away from its face as it looked at Enrique and screamed a terrible, agonized wail! The scream left Enrique shaken, but he quickly recovered and helped Anastacia and Grim attack the cat.

Lorren, meanwhile, was just about to fire at the bush again when a volley of massive thorns struck him. The pain was excruciating, but the young wizard cursed at the bush and fired one last sphere of magical force before ducking behind a tree. The blast finally struck the bush right into the center and shattered its central stem, causing the strange, screaming bush to collapse in a heap. While Lorren finished the bush, Grim crushed the cat’s exposed skull and led the charge on the snake. Surprised at the new threat, the snake simultaneously coiled aggressively and burst into flame. It spat a wide fan of fire at Grim and Anastacia, burning them both severely even though they both dived out of the way of the worst of the flames. Angry at seeing the pain his new friends were in, Enrique slipped behind the snake and drove his sword into and through its head. It collapsed instantly as its fire died with it.

As Lorren began to pull the barbed thorns out of his skin and Luke traveled among the party to heal the worst of their wounds, Elvis examined the river near the clearing and Enrique searched for other objects of note. Behind the hill, he discovered the nest of the snake, where he found the remains of an unfortunate humanoid who was apparently caught by this same ambush, a single gold coin and a small gem, and a nest made of wood and paper. Curious about the paper, Enrique took the nest apart and found that some of the paper had some sort of notice on it. He quickly read it.

To All Heroes of Great Courage and With a Drive to Show Valor:

The City of Zoridel is Working to cull the fiendish hordes from near our fair city while obtaining living subjects in our studies to eradicate the evil beings from our world forever. Expeditions are forming to investigate and cleanse noted fiendish enclaves. Rewards as high as 25 gold multiplied by the power of the fiend will be offered for the remains of slain fiends. Captured, living fiends will be worth triple this amount. The most triumphant heroes will be celebrated throughout Zoridel and be given a title of honor by Zoridel’s Chosen. Come to your nearest Headquarters for the Chosen of Zoridel to join the hunt and earn your worthy rewards!

As he returned to the party, he had what he thought was a potentially easy way to make money. “I think we should bring the bodies with us. You know, as trophies or to sell to scientists or something. And I don’t suppose anyone knows where a place called Zoridel is?”

Later that night, the party was surprised when they arrived at Rosavilla and found it was in the middle of a celebration of some sort. No sooner did they arrive than free food was thrust at them by the happy partygoers. The apparent, if surreal, source of both the food and the cause of the party were obvious moments later when the party first saw the remains of a giant bird the size of a large house.

“So, what happened here, exactly? I bet it’s a good story,” Luke asked.

A nearby partygoer explained the recent events. “Well, this bird first flew close to town a few days ago, and we were worried it would get too close and attack us. Fortunately, a wandering group of adventurers were in the area and agreed to destroy the bird for us. Once it was dead, they determined that it was actually safe to eat, provided we throw out the eyes.”

Lorren glanced at the dead bird’s eyes in response. Sure enough, though the eyes have been removed, the eye sockets were several times larger than expected for a head of that proportion. Lorren heard about a creature like this before. They’re called Hive Birds, and they apparently have semi-petrified eyes that house swarms of insects.

“To celebrate our safety,” the villager continued, “We decided to hold a feast using the bird itself. It’s done wonders for almost all the inns and taverns in town. They’re nearly all packed!”

Worried about the implications of this, most of the party decided to find rooms for the night, though Luke preferred to look for supplies for the next leg of the journey and Enrique decided to find some information and excitement in town. After hearing many villagers inform him that all the taverns and inns are full except for one known as the Jagged Blade, he decided to find out why. He soon discovered the reason when he entered the tavern and saw that a half-dozen harpies were drinking in the corner! After seeing everyone else in the tavern giving them a wide berth, he followed suit, but he noticed that they didn’t seem to be hostile, and they were paying generously. Nonetheless, he decided it was time to return to the party.

When he rejoined them, he was shocked to find they managed to get rooms in the best inn. “How did you pull that off?” he asked with shock.

Anastacia, with no small amount of embarrassment, admitted, “They just gave me them when they saw that I was, well, the ‘Prophesized One.’ A lot of half-elves think I’m some great savior because I was born on the same day, and supposedly the exact time, of the Bladestill. Nobody really knows what I’m supposed to do, though. I think I have to bring peace to the half-elves or something, but nobody can agree on the specifics. It does get me special treatment at times, though.”

The next morning, Enrique explored the town with a clearer head and better daylight, and he soon found out that the Zoridel’s Chosen had a headquarters in town. Eagerly, he showed the bodies of the creatures killed the other night to them, but their response was disappointing. “Indeed, these are fierce beats, and this snake is an intelligent and evil foe who some have claimed is tied to an evil god, but none of them are fiends,” a Zoridel’s Chosen agent commented upon after his headquarters examined the beasts. “If you want to participate in our noble plan to rid our world of fiends, we are organizing expeditions in Zoridel itself. We would be honored for brave heroes such as yourself to join us!”

Enrique, however, quickly felt his allergy to excessive nobility flare up and mumbled his goodbyes as he joined the group back at the carriages. They set off for the next leg of their journey. Ciudadbonita, where the truth about Guillermo and perhaps about the purpose of the rod itself would be found, was only 91 miles and a three day journey away.

OOC Notes: The party made more progress last game than I expected, so the second half of the adventure will be posted later this week. Keep in mind that this update and the next are from the same adventure, as this may become important later. Sharp-eyed readers might have even noticed a pattern between recent adventures.

One thing I planned on doing with these fairly inconsequential combat and role-playing opportunities is to tie all of them into the central storyline of the world in one way or another. For example, there’s the flyer the party found in the combat, and there might be more to the dead hive bird than expected as well. More about the adventure in general following the next update.

LordVyreth

First Post
Discovering a New World: A Brave New World

As night fell on the first day out of Rosavilla, the party once again witnessed firsthand the dangers of traveling in Mesion’s wilderness. While traveling through the woods, the party first heard the howling of a wolf, and then the sound of battle. The carriages slowed slightly when they reached the source of the battle: what appeared to be a heavily armored man was fighting against a horde of animals. What was unusual was that the animals were not all of the same species and made no sense working together. A giant lizard seemingly led the attack, but he was joined by a hyena, two badges, and most inexplicably an enraged deer!

“This makes no sense. The animals must be insane,” Enrique commented. Grim could only respond with a quiet sob. The sight of animals driven to such a horrible state was almost too much for the strong but gentle warrior.

“Do you want us to stop?” Kanatash called to the heroes.

“Sure,” Enrique replied. “Maybe he’ll reward us.” As the carriage slowed, Enrique kicked the door out and leapt at the deer, the closest of the threats. Before the deer could even realize it was being attacked, Enrique calmly stabbed his sword into the creature’s neck. It collapsed silently.

Anastacia, however, was not pleased. “How could you do that? It was just an innocent deer!”

The man, who looked like he had already received a number of wounds, shouted out, “Don’t trust these animals! They’ve been infected by some sort of madness!”

Anastacia still looked reluctant, but she had far less trouble attacking the slavering hyena. As she went after that foe, Grim followed with even more reluctance, as fighting animals was such an anathema to him. Elvis and Enrique, meanwhile, charged the badgers, and Lorren and Luke were content to fire from a distance.

The party made short work of the hyena and the badgers, but they and the lizard wounded the man as well. Fortunately, whatever madness made such a strange group of animals attack a seemingly innocent man also made them far less effective in combat. Often, they would cease attacking entirely to stumble in a semi-coherent haze, and the lizard even fled from some unseen fear midway through the battle. The man, taking advantage of this lull, raised a holy symbol over his head and called upon his god’s power to be healed. Luke, however, realized he didn’t recognize the god called upon or the symbol (a triangle decorated with rows of animal weapons, like claws and teeth,) and he grew suspicious. While the rest of the party went after the fleeing lizard, he used his own holy power to sense the presence of evil.

Soon, the lizard was dead, and the party returned to the victim victorious. The man eagerly greeted his rescuers. “Thank you. I am Ralfan. If you didn’t come along when you did, I don’t know what those animals would have done to me. I must give you a reward…” but he stopped after seeing the look Luke gave him.

“You’re no innocent victim,” Luke claimed. “You radiate the stench of evil.”

The party, realizing the situation might have changed, began to surround the man they just rescued. “Yes, I was wondering why animals would just attack someone, unless that person did something to them,” Grim muttered ominously.

Ralfan narrowed his eyes. He looked at the party unapologetically, but he replied diplomatically nonetheless. “Like I told you before, I had nothing to do with this. Something in this forest drives the animals crazy. I am grateful for your help, and have no desire to fight or betray you.” As he spoke, he removed a pouch and tossed it towards Enrique. “Here is a reward for your services. If you have no further quarrel with me, I will be going.” So saying, he scooped up the bodies of the two badgers, presumably for food, and began to slowly back away.

The party turned to Luke, letting him make the decision. Again, just as when he was forced to confront the Achieve employee, Luke was conflicted between stopping evil and the situation at hand. Even if the man was evil, he did nothing to the party, nor did he do anything immoral that the party was aware of. He stood, watching Ralfan leave, until it was clearly too late.

As he turned to walk away at a more normal pace, having sensed that Luke’s inaction was the party’s decision, he added one more warning. “If you do find the source of this forest’s madness, whatever you do, keep your horses away from it. They react especially badly to it.” As soon as he finished his warning, he vanished into the woods.

Enrique carefully picked up the pouch Ralfan left behind, and not eager to open it himself, he tossed it to Luke. Luke ensured it didn’t radiate evil, and then turned it upside down to test its contents. 100 gold pieces tumbled out.

“Well, at least he was honest,” Lorren admitted.

“Yes, but look at this,” Elvis countered. He pointed at the ground. “I was wondering why we didn’t see that wolf we heard earlier, so I checked for tracks. There’s a series of unusually large wolf tracks leading right to where Ralfan was standing, but they never moved from there.”

Grim groaned. “So, not only did we let an evil cleric go, we let an evil werewolf cleric go?”

Lorren pondered this. “He was strange, if he was a werewolf. Most of their kind isn’t supposed to be so ordered.”

A few uneventful days later, the party finally arrived in Ciudadbonita, where they immediately headed for Magnificent Magecraft, the curio shop they were told about. As they arrived, they noticed that the place had an unusual number of guards.

“Why is this place so well-guarded?” Lorren asked with suspicion.

Gabriela, the store’s caretaker, explained, “We recently received a large number of items from one of our citizens.” As she spoke, she gestured towards piles of paintings, sculptures, and even large furniture. “He also warned me that some soldiers might come to the store. I decided to hire some of the local militia to keep the store safe, and it proved to be a wise decision. Just a few hours ago, some men in black armor came to the store. They looked at the items I just purchased, and then left angrily.”

Realizing who those men likely were, Enrique urgently asked, “Do you know a man named Guillermo? I was told he lives in this city?”

Gabriela looked surprised. “Why, yes. That was the same man who sold me all of these items. He’s sort of a local recluse. Sometimes he leaves the town for months or years, only to come back and stay in his house for more months. He lives in a house just outside of town.”

Enrique quickly asked for directions, but before they left, the party also showed her the other reason they came this far. “Oh, I heard about this one. News travels fast in my circles,” she commented. “That is the fake Jewel of Success, right? I should be able to find a buyer. I can give you 3,000 gold for it, but give me a day to liquidate some assets, first.”

Their first business done, the party set off for Guillermo’s house. They found it, as Gabriela explained, several miles from the rest of town, adjacent to large tilled field. As the party arrived, they noticed that a farmer was circling the farm. Lorren glowered as he looked at the farmer, but the rest of the party was in too much of a rush to investigate. As Lorren watched behind him, Enrique first knocked on the door, and then when there was no answer, he simply kicked it in!

The scene in the home confirmed his worst nightmares. His uncle, his estranged but nonetheless beloved family member, was lying on the ground in a pool of blood! To make matters worse, his apparent murderers left a few surprises for anyone who investigated the death. A gigantic bee suddenly stirred from the corner of the house, and a wasp nest tossed onto the floor suddenly shook with activity. Anastacia, Grim, and Elvis made short work of the bee, but Enrique, blinded by despair, went to the side of his fallen uncle and was immediately swarmed by the wasps.

“Lorren, help us!” Luke called from the doorway.

“But…” Lorren began hesitantly. He looked behind him and saw the “farmer” take off the instant the door opened and the insects attacked the party. It was obvious to Lorren that this was some sort of spy or lookout, probably for the same people that killed Guillermo. But by the time he noticed what was happening, the man was out of Lorren’s range. He sighed and turned to help the party, only to see that the bee was already dead and his magic was useless on a swarm of thousands of insects.

Elvis retreated to the doorway to help Luke, who was already lighting a torch to scare off the swarm. “Run!” he called to those still inside the building as he lit a torch and helped Luke. Anastacia didn’t need to be told twice. She smashed the first window she saw, dove out of it, and ran for the nearest pond. Grim followed, but not before grabbing Enrique, who was now poisoned, half-mad with despair, and sickened by the insects crawling on his body. He grabbed the unfortunate rogue and dove into the pond as well. With their allies safe, Luke and Elvis split up and made for safety as well.

Several minutes later, the party converged back at the house after the wasps dispersed. They smashed the hive and began to investigate the house for some clues on what motivated Guillermo’s death. However, the place was almost complete empty. Like Gabriela said, nearly everything was sold before the party arrived. The question was, why was it sold, and will any of it help the party?

Enrique searched the place, but he soon admitted defeat. “I can’t find a thing,” he said. “The only unusual things are the nails stuck in the walls.”

“What’s unusual about that? We know he had paintings that he sold to the curio shop,” Anastacia asked.

Enrique pointed to one nail. “This one is of a much better quality than the others.”

“Maybe he wanted to be especially certain that painting was in a certain spot?” Elvis offered hopefully.

The question, though, was which painting. The party returned to the curio shop, where they looked through the paintings Guillermo sold. There, they asked about the paintings Guillermo, and if they could see them. “Ah, yes, the paintings,” Gabriela said dismissively. “None of them were worth anything; they were of no artistic value. I could show you them if you want.” She returned a few moments later and began to sort the pictures. “Let’s see, there’s an archer preparing to fire at a bullseye, a woman in profile, a still life of various fruit, a picture of a warrior fighting a bullette, and, well,” Gabriella hesitated before handing over a majority of the remaining pictures, “There is a surprising number of scantily clad elf women in various states of undress.”

The party examined the pictures, especially the last ones. Finally, Anastacia solved it. “Wait, Luke, what was that item that Operative gave you? It was the one that was supposed to be related to Guillermo.

“It was an arrow,” Luke replied, and the revelation hit him as well. He quickly pulled out the picture of an archer and realized that neither the archer nor the bullseye had any arrows.

Quickly, the party gave Gabriella a few gold for the picture and returned to the house. There, they hung the painting on the notable nail, and when nothing seemed to happen, they put the arrow onto the bullseye. As Enrique did so, he noticed something; there was a nearly microscopic hollow right behind that part of the painting! After finding the button right behind it, part of the wall slid up, revealing a hidden compartment. Inside were only two things: a strange black egg the size of an ostrich’s, and a note. Enrique quickly snatched up the note and read it. A moment later, barely able to move, he wordlessly passed it to Anastacia, who anxiously read it to the rest of the party.

“To Whoever May Find this,” she began, “If you have found this, then I fear the worst has happened, and I am no longer able to fulfill my duty. I pray to the gods that you are a person of wisdom and loyalty; who can be trusted with this artifact. What you see here is the single most important and dangerous weapon on Mesion. Until recently, the Hivekeepers, a secret society dedicated to keeping it hidden, has kept it from the world. But we have new enemies now. There is another society that calls themselves Effervo Vesica. I don’t know what they want exactly, but they are increasingly powerful and dedicated to taking this item, the Infernal Swarm Egg, for themselves. I believe they have access to great resources, possibly even the wealth of a nation, and from what I have heard from my fellow Hivekeepers, they may have greater, inhuman monsters at their beck and call. I fear they have almost succeeded, for I do not know if any Hivekeepers are still alive.

“The Egg is very powerful but more delicate than one might expect. It resists weapon blows generally well, seems to be immune to fire and acid, can partially resist other energies, and slowly heals itself if damaged. However, a dedicated attack or even something as simple as a great fall could be enough to destroy it, and if it destroyed, all hope is lost. Even worse, it appears to be tied to Mesion itself. It can leave this plane for an instant, but if more than a few seconds are spent with it outside of this plane of reality or even in a pocket plane, it will become agitated and then shatter, scattering its contents back into our world.

“Even we don’t know exactly what the Egg can do. For unknown eons, it was unknown and hidden from the world save for us. But during the Godfield War, it was discovered by the outsiders and taken from us. Foolishly, they sought to find a way to control it. In a seemingly impossible truce between celestials and fiends, they created two artifacts that, if combined with the egg and taken to a control center the outsiders built on Order’s Peak, can be used to take control of monstrosities inside the Egg. The two artifacts, rods made of strange metal, were split between the sides, with one going to the fiends, and the others to the celestials. We have no idea what happened to those control rods, however. Fortunately, this plan gave us one shred of hope, for if both rods are used to control the Egg, they can be used to destroy the Egg harmlessly.

“My last hope, I beg of you to treat this quest with the respect it deserves. If you are ever unable to take the Egg with you safely, perhaps because you must leave this plane or hide in a demi-plane, find an ally you can trust with it, or keep it well hidden. If there are any other Hivekeepers left alive, you can find them at a secret headquarters 500 miles east of Dromis Prime. Go to that city and find the tavern Rhylixx Qvist. Ask the bartender there if they know of any groups nearby with an interest in beekeeping, and she’ll guide you from there. Be warned that this headquarters is a fair distance from here, and it is located in the Playground. Make sure you are prepared before undertaking such a journey. My hope and faith go out to you, Guillermo Delgrande,” she finished.

“So this egg is the most powerful thing on the planet?” Grim asked incredulously.

“So it would appear,” Luke replied. “At least now we know what happened at the Parade. That man must have been a member of Effervo Vesica, and now they have at least one of the Control Rods.”

Several minutes passed in stunned silence, before Elvis asked the question on everyone’s mind. “So,” he asked, “What do we do now?”

OOC: What indeed? That’s more or less where we are at this point. The next game is a little more than a week from now, so expect the next Story Hour update a few days later. In the meantime, if things don’t get too busy, I’ll contribute a few more excerpts by then. The next few games, though, should be…complicated.

For the record, though I fully intend to use the dreaded railroad as little as possible in this campaign, I was planning on the party finding the Egg sooner or later. I definitely planned on letting them find it this low level (they just hit second level at the end of this game.) I wanted to make this a central challenge to the campaign, regardless of how the party handles it.

And before you ask, no, I didn’t base any of this plotline on the DaVinci code, either in movie or book format. I do recognize the similarities, what with the old dead relative who belonged a secret society and who had to protect an important, world-changing artifact from a more evil secret society.

LordVyreth

First Post
Opening the Gate: The Sinister Caravan

“So, what do we do now?” That question lingered on everyone’s minds for several minutes, without an answer among the party.

Finally, Lorren came to his senses. “We get out of here. If that man really was a lookout, they know we’re here now. I don’t necessarily think Guillermo’s right about this Egg, but we can’t risk endangering it if he is.”

“Wait,” Anastacia protested. “We can’t just leave. We have 3,000 gold ready for us tomorrow, and we’re injured from the fight.”

“Very well,” Grim said. “We leave this house immediately and spend a day at the town’s inn, and then we head back to Fra Dane as soon as possible.”

“What about Guillermo’s body, though?” Luke asked. “It seems wrong to just let it rot here.”

“We could burn it,” Elvis suggested.

“No,” Enrique said angrily. “He wouldn’t have wanted that.” All eyes turned to the devastated rogue, as they knew this must be his choice. Finally, with an agonized look in eyes, Enrique made his decision. “We have to leave him here. We may not even have the time to dig a grave, and we can’t let the townspeople know what happened without getting ourselves involved.”

The party left the home, as Enrique turned to the body of his dead uncle. “I’m sorry, Guillermo. I’ll do my best to fulfill your dying wish.”

The day at the inn was otherwise uneventful, and the party spent much of the next day planning their next mission, what they will tell the Operatives, and preparing to leave by purchasing superior weapons and items. The services of Kanatash and Cyra were again utilized, and this time, the trip home was uneventful. At Fra Dane, the party was met at the edge of the city’s shantytown outside of the walls by Ik, who happily met again with her friends.

Before leaving town, the party decided it would be wise to meet up with Operative Vel again and update him on the success of their mission so far. Of course, the problem was exactly how much they wanted to tell him.

“We have to give him something,” Luke insisted. “Otherwise, he might take us off the investigation, or worse, start his own investigation and find it leads right to us. Besides, you still need those pardons.”

“Well, we should definitely avoid any information about the Egg itself,” Anastacia nervously proposed. “But what about the rods?”

“Let’s just give him information about Eff-Eflu Vicar…” Luke started, sheepishly.

“Effervo Vesica,” Lorren sharply corrected.

“Right, we’ll talk about them,” Luke replied. “And we have to mention the Hivekeepers to at least explain what was so special about Guillermo. But if that’s enough, we can avoid revealing anything about the rods for now.”

With the information prepared, Ik and Luke entered the city, since the rest of the party was still unable to legally enter it. They soon met up with Vel, where they explained the situation.

“So, tell us exactly what you found out about Guillermo,” Vel prompted.

“Well, we did learn that he belonged to a secret society called the Hivekeepers, but he wasn’t responsible for the theft.”

“Oh, who was?” Vel prodded.

“We learned of another group, known as…” Luke quickly looked at a note Ik handed him, “Effervo Vesica. They were the ones who stole the rod.”

“Really? How did you learn that? Did Guillermo tell you?”

“Unfortunately, he was already dead when we got there.”

“Then how did you learn all this?”

“Well,” Luke hesitated. He’d rather not spread information about the note the party found, or even imply that it existed. “We talked to the owner of the curio shop. She told us some of this.”

“I see,” Vel replied. He carefully adjusted some papers in a way that somehow unnerved Luke immensely. “Well, that is very helpful, but we’d like some information about what this Effervo Vesica organization’s ultimate goals are, or what the purpose of the rod is. You truly have nothing else for us?”

Luke gulped, “No, but we want to investigate the Gate of Madness next. We might learn more about Effe…the thieves from there.”

Vel nodded. “Excellent news. We actually can help you with that objective. We are aware of a Hensen and Children expedition headed in that general direction. We can ‘persuade’ them to take a slight detour and delay their departure long enough for you to join them, and we are even willing to pay for their services. They should be able to get you to the destination in only nine days or so; much faster than an ordinary travel service.” Vel then ended the briefing by sliding a pouch containing a thousand gold pieces and the dearly desired pardons.

As Luke and Ik gratefully left to tell their fellow party members what happened and prepare for their journey with the Hensen caravan, Vel summoned some of his fellow Operatives. “Make preparations for a strike force,” he instructed. “We need to learn more about this knowledgeable curio shop owner.”

“These are very strange carriages,” Grim commented as the party located the caravan’s departure point.

“You mean, besides the fact they aren’t attached to any mounts?” Elvis asked. “Do you think they pull themselves?”

Grim shook his head. “No, they have harnesses, but they’re very strange.” He demonstrated by holding one of the harnesses up. “Look how much they can be moved. They look like they can go all the way above the carriages themselves.”

“And the sides of the carriage are very wide as well,” Lorren noted. “Maybe they can float?”

“Hey, look back here!” Enrique called. “I found a carriage with animals!”

The party dashed the rearmost of the twenty five cars of the massive caravan, where they saw it was being pulled by strange, gray lions with paler manes. “Oh, I know what those are!” Lorren commented. “Those are Leoni. They’re a sort of magical lions. They can be transformed briefly by supernatural magical pressure points. But that doesn’t explain why they’re used for this wagon and not the others.”

Their answer came later that day, when first the other passengers and then the “animals” joined the caravan. The passengers were for the most part the children of affluent nobles, though they were an unusual lot. Most were dressed strangely and were adorned with skulls, demonic imagery, and other dark clothing. At first, the party was worried that they had somehow been surrounded by an evil cult, but further investigations revealed the truth.

“So, where are all of you going?” Ik asked her fellow carriage, a young human woman.

“Oh, we’re going to see the Shrill Harper!” the woman, who introduced herself as Rilliana but insisted that everyone call her Rumor, explained.

Upon seeing Ik’s confused face, Rumor pulled out a paper explaining further.

You know Her! You Love HER! And now, Shrill harper is coming to ulgurtha!

Her fans have called her passionate, spirited, terrifying and yet wondrous. Fiends and mortals alike have been charmed by her wit and power. She defies the performer’s guild, the common superstitions about morality, and the pointless conflict of nature itself. Her songs have motivated love, hate, death, rage, and all the primal emotions. She is shrill harper, and Ulrich Bludwright is honored to have this woman, who represents all that Ulgurtha holds dear, perform for as long as her fans demand! Born of a mortal harpy and a fiend and raised in the bleakest realms of the Gate of madness, she has crawled out of that dark place to bring the musical world of the surface to its knees! Come, all fans of music, to share in the magic!

Ik looked shocked. “You’re going to a city inhabited by demons and devils to hear the music of a fiendish harpy?”

Rumor shook her head. “I know how that sounds, but she’s not like that. She struggled out of her horrible fiendish nature out the pure desire to sing! It’s the noblest thing a person could do! She inspires me!”

Ever the bard, Ik was intrigued. “Could you sing some of her songs?”

Rumor struggled with an answer. “I’ll try, but I’m not nearly as good as she is.” Ik soon learned that Rumor was putting it mildly, and her journey just felt a lot longer.

But the rest of the party was more impressed with the creatures pulling their carriages. After the crew first checked that nobody was traveling with any natural animals, a series of bizarre creatures were fastened to the wagons. Each seemingly had no permanent features; one moment one would have the head of a goat, and the next, it would be more like that of a great cat.

“What the hell are those?” Grim asked with shock and not a little disgust.

Aware of the pattern at this point, all heads turned to Lorren. Sensing their expectations, the young genius sighed and said, “I think those are called Environs. One of the Hensen’s children discovered the creatures recently, which catapulted them to the position of dominant transportation service on Mesion. Apparently, they can cross any terrain without difficulty, because their bodies always adjust to that of the ideal animal. They can even climb steep cliffs, swim across the surface of a body of water, or fly! They just have some issues with normal animals. Apparently, animals get spooked by their presence. I bet that’s what the Leoni carriage is for. If we did have any animals, they’re magical creatures, so they could transport the animals.”

Grim, however, said nothing. He remembered the forest earlier where the animals were all seemingly driven insane, and he was a little suspicious that these unnatural things had some relation.

As the days turned into over a week, the party soon met more of their fellow passengers and drivers. Luke made friends with Avale Zherri, a paladin of Pelor and a member of Zoridel’s chosen. She and several other clerics and paladins from both Zoridel and Fra Dane were sent to investigate the concert for possible sinister purposes beyond simple musical expression. Even a paladin and a cleric from Luke’s own church of Ehlonna were participating! Meanwhile, Ik (when not trying to charm the nobles with her own music,) made friends with Pellene Stirring, a bard traveling to Ulgurtha as an expert for the Performer’s Guild. He seemed pretty depressed during much of the journey, however, possibly as a result of the presence of Guild representative Trish Bline. From what she learned, the Guild’s use of Pellene as an expert meant that he hasn’t been hired to actually perform, making it against Guild rules for him to sing in public!

“What are you planning on this trip?” A naturally suspicious Ik asked the Guild official.

Trish smiled. “Well, we want a professional critique of the Shrill Harper, of course. If she’s as competent as we’re hoping, we’re considering persuading her to enter the Guild. We could get her to perform in Fra Dane and other cities that aren’t as inherently dangerous or such a long a distance away from more humanoid-populated lands.”

“Yes, I’m sure that’ll be a big success for you,” Ik muttered, now sick of the Guild’s general attitude towards music.

Unaware of Ik’s intent, Trish merely nodded. “Oh, I’m sure it will change the world.”

Ik, understandably, spent much of the rest of the trip avoiding Trish and playing for the nobles and the more traditional merchants, who Enrique was more interested in charming as possible connections later. Elvis and Grim were more interested in studying the strange creatures and conversing with the caravan’s crew, Lorren took an interest in the caravan’s wizard advisor, Advisor Bathail Malph, and Anastacia hobnobbed with the rebellious children of Fra Dane.

The caravan was a bumpy but uneventful trip for the first eight days, but that changed midway through the eighth day when the caravan abruptly stopped, seemingly for no reason. Curious, the party disembarked to investigate and found themselves on the top of a tall cliff, where Callis Torrand, the caravan’s leader, was observing something. The party moved in to look as well and saw that in the jungle below, a strange building rose above the canopy of trees. It was hemispherical, seemingly made entirely of metal, and though it was hard to tell from the distance, it seemed to be slowly rotating!

“What’s that?” Anastasia asked.

Bathail frowned. “That appears to be a modron enclave. They’re strange, semi-mechanical creatures that represent pure law. This is most disturbing; they haven’t been seen on Mesion for hundreds of years.”

Callis turned to his advisor and issues his command. “We need more information about these creatures. Contact the nearest towns and see if they know anything about this, and then we’ll speak with command about this.”

A few hours later, Callis gathered both the rest of the crew and the increasingly anxious passengers to share his plan. “Bathail spoke to the local villages magically, and he learned that this enclave has interfered with the local villages lately, and they pose a threat to the area.”

“Interfered? How?” a skeptical Grim asked.

Bathail hesitated, as if he didn’t expect an interruption so soon, but he replied. “They have attacked local hunters. They haven’t killed anyone yet, but they have been willing to use lethal force.”

“So, that sounds like they’re just defending their territory,” Grim pressed.

“And they have been expanding that territory,” Callis finished. “So we have been authorized to destroy the enclave and collect a bounty offered by the villages. We have been given permission to seek assistance from any combat-minded passengers in exchange for a share of the bounty, but we can’t promise your protection if you agree to this plan.”

The party agreed, though Grim did so with extreme reluctance and Luke seemed uncomfortable about the whole thing. Also joining the raid were Avale Zherri and the other paladins and clerics, Rumor and several other noble children with some training or special powers, and, after hours of arguments with Trish, Pellene himself. Callis split the entire assembled group into four wings, with Callis, Bathail, and Pellene leading the attack into the enclave’s core. The other three groups were to guard the other three exits and defeat and modrons that attacked from that side.

Before long, the environs had dropped the party off, and they carefully made their way to their interception point. As the shouts of combat rose up all around them, they charged their own entrance as a small army of spherical, flat rectangular, and triangular metal creatures poured out. They engaged the party with teeth, claw, and even simple weapons like spears, but it was clear that they were simple-minded foes, and soon the battle was over. As the party recovered from their wounds, a victorious raiding party, including Pellene at the happiest the party’s ever seen him, returned, dragging a five-legged metal starfish with them. The party returned to the carriages to count their earnings and confirm that the egg was safe (they left it with Ik during the fight, as she planned on staying in the back and assisting the party with her magic,) but as they left, Grim noticed something. Bathail had a tear in his robes as a result of the fight, and Grim noticed he had a tattoo on the small of his back of two dragons attacking and eating each other. For a moment, he could barely control himself; that same symbol was on the same attackers that killed his parents. For a barbarian, though, Grim was unusually known for his ability to keep his cool. He decided that it would be suicide to do anything about this now; Bathail was wounded, but he was still a highly respected wizard within a powerful organization. He might be able to destroy Grim in an instant, and even if Grim got the upper hand, Callis and the rest of the Hensen staff would attack him. He would, however, make a note of this. This was the first hint about the death of his parents that he received so far, and he intended to do something about it sooner or later.

OOC Notes: This was actually only the first half of this session. The numerous role-playing opportunities and background information takes generally produces more story in less time than the average fight. The modron fight was slightly more difficult than it seemed here, but not too fascinating. Low-level modrons really disappointed me from their lack of abilities; bring on the screaming bushes and face-peeling cats in my opinion! Nonetheless, like nearly everything that happened so far, it gave the party some clues about future events or potential leads. Very little has been accidental so far…

You might have noticed some edits in earlier entries. I gave the party the option to change some features about their characters now that they know them a little better, and Luke decided to opt for a slightly less lawful character and the deity of Ehlonna instead of Bha-Ael. This still puts him at or near the moral center of the party, though, so it didn’t change things too much, yet.

LordVyreth

First Post
Mesion Excerpt #5: Musings of a Beginning

The mission was a success. Contrary to the assumption of their enemies, their plan was not merely the fate of the Egg. That was important, and perhaps the beginning of it all, but it would not be the end. But of all the threats they faced, they feared the Egg the most. Whether used for good or evil, the Egg represented something that they despised; that was the absolute opposite of their ultimate goal. At least now, they knew that no sentient group would be able to use the Egg for their own ends, now that they had part of the only system that can control it. But it wasn’t enough. They never really were opposed to the Hivekeepers; they just knew that the Hivekeepers never went far enough. But they did keep the Egg safe for these many years, and now it was over. The Egg is lost, and thus, it could be used by the foolish, or hatched on accident. “No,” Invenir thought, “We need the Egg.”

That was Invenir’s task, at least primarily. The Egg’s return to Mesion civilization was only the start of the new developments. Everything on Mesion was returning; was changing. This was exactly the problem Invenir and her people wanted to correct. Invenir knew better than to work directly, she (if she could even call herself a gender now; it’s been so long since she had a relatable form,) was better suited to seek assistance from allies, whether those allies were good or evil. Her allies suited her well in this last mission, but the Egg has been another story. Invenir realized they might need new allies for this mission.

It was a difficult task, but a necessary one. With effort, the changes of Mesion, which would ultimately twist it beyond value, can be delayed long enough for it to be Invenir and her people’s chance to change again. And then things could change in the way they desire. After all, they already saw, and even participated, in the escalating of events that led to the destruction of an entire universe. They knew what it looked like, and since they already did so much for Mesion, it was time to do one more thing.

LordVyreth

First Post
The Gate of Madness: Beware the Squeakers!

“Well, that was a fun trip!” Ik enthusiastically commented. “And I think I made some fans.”

Lorren grumbled. “I didn’t have as much luck. I thought I could get some assistance in my magical research from Bathail, but he was far more interested in magic far too…subtle for me. Also, well, he remembered me from my work in Fra Dane.”

“Your work?” Elvis asked cautiously.

“Well, one of my experiments was officially known as Sulphur Day, because of the smell.”

A look of recognition passed on Luke’s face. “That was you? It took me weeks to get the smell out of my clothes! What did you do?”

Lorren shrugged. “Every genius has to make a few mistakes. I’m happy knowing that I’m already a living legend at such a young age. It’s not for something I’m exactly proud of, but it’s a start.”

As they continued their discussion, the party slowly made their way to the entrance of the Gate of Madness, mere hours after the caravan dropped them off near it. The party already began their preparations for their first dungeon raid. According to Callis, the caravan they just left could pick them up, but since it takes over forty days to reach Ulgurtha, by the time the caravan was returning, almost three months will have passed! Since that would put the date into winter, this was not an attractive option. Alternately, another caravan was arriving much sooner, but it only gave the party seven days to find out all they could about the humanoid tribes Effervo Vesica hired.

The entrance to the Gate of Madness was almost disappointingly plain. There was nothing to mark it but a hole in the round and a simple wooden sign. Lorren read the sign. “The Gate of Madness. Abandon all ‘blank’ ye who enter here.”

“It says blank?” Enrique asked with skepticism.

Lorren shook his head. “No, but something was blacked out, and then somebody wrote something else over it. And then somebody crossed that out and wrote something else. It goes on like this for dozens of words. Apparently, the most recent word is ‘parsnips.’”

Ik eagerly grabbed a quill and some ink. “Oooh! I want to write something new. How does ‘Abandon all Arugula’ sound?”

While Ik fiddled with the front of the sign, Enrique noticed further writing on the back. Among the writings were more symbols in Adventurer’s Cant, which spelled out to say “Be prepared to defend yourself,” “Mean monster here,” “Natural Dangers,” and “Trap.” A less general but more ominous sentence under that the Cant symbols simply read, “Leave the squeakers alone.” Unfortunately, the party had no idea who or what the squeakers were, so they made a note of it as they carefully assembled the party, drew their weapons, and descended into the dungeon. It was about halfway down the stairs into the first cavern of Mesion’s largest and most dangerous dungeon that they realized none of them brought a lantern.

“What do you mean we don’t have anything?” Luke asked angrily.

Grim shrugged. “I can see in the dark. I don’t know what your excuse is.”

Elvis pulled some torches out of his backpack. “Look, this will have to do for now. Hopefully we can find something better as we travel. If worse comes to worse, we can find that town that’s a day or so off from here. It’ll cost us a few days, but it beats stumbling around in the dark.”

The party found themselves (once they could see it,) in a seemingly normal-looking cavern with three tunnels extending to the northwest, southwest, and northeast. After a brief investigation, only the northwest tunnel stood out. For one thing, it smelled slightly of honey, which was unusual at the very least. More importantly, another Adventurer’s Cant symbol was above the entrance to the tunnel. After translating it to read “A good and/or kind resident lives here,” the underequipped party had no trouble choosing this direction to start their journey. They didn’t get far, however, before finding another large cave at the end of the tunnel. Grim, who was taking the lead because of his ability to see in the dark, quickly scanned the cave for threats, and noticed a flock of bats on the roof. “I see some bats,” he simply pointed out. “But I’m not sure if they’re a threat.” Grim seemed hesitant. He had to fight enough animals or creatures he had no immediate problems with already.

“Wait, don’t bats squeak? I thought we were supposed to leave the squeakers alone!” Anastacia said worriedly.

Lorren shrugged. “Well, if they leave us alone, we’ll do the same to them.”

Grim took a few cautious steps into the cave, immediately prompting the bats to fly down and swarm the unfortunate barbarian. Even as the bats began to suck his blood and leave brutal wounds that seemed unable to close on their own, the party was slow to respond out of fear from the warning. Eventually, though, they decided to stop the bats’ attack, and so with weapon and torch the bats were dispersed. The tunnel continued on the other side of the cave, so the party traveled northwards until they came to a door.

“The good person the Cant symbol told us about could be here,” Luke offered.

Enrique looked skeptical. “After what the ‘squeakers’ did, I’m not so certain we should trust random symbols that could’ve been written by anyone.” He searched the door for traps, made sure it was unlocked, and listened for any suspicious noises on the other side. After finding out that the door was harmless and the next room was quiet, he and Grim quickly opened the door and stepped inside.

Finally, the first signs of the bizarre nature of the Gate were revealed to the party. The next room perfectly emulated the interior of a giant bee hive, complete with its inhabitant, a humanoid-shaped bee! The bee, however, seemed harmless enough. He was simply reading a book on insect zoology when the party entered, and he gave them a glance but didn’t appear hostile after seeing them.

Luke took the lead as party goodwill ambassador. “Hello. I was told that a friendly force could be found here. Are you he?”

The bee looked confused, and replied in Common, albeit with high-pitched, buzzing voice. “I would not know what you speak of. I have been in this facility for months now, so I do not know who or what would tell you that. But I am not your enemy.”

Lacking Luke’s tact, Elvis asked, “What are you?”

The bee replied. “We are the Abeil. We live in the mountains near this dungeon. We value knowledge above all things, so frequently our queen schedules expeditions into this dungeon to learn about its secrets. When these expeditions are over, one remains behind to maintain our facilities. I am that one.”

“So you know what we can expect to find in this dungeon? Can you give us a map?” Anastacia asked.

The abeil shook its head. “I’m afraid not. After the raid, the abeil leave with all the information gathered. I am left with only a few books to pass the time and everything needed to keep the hive maintained. I have not left the hive in months.”

Enrique nodded, and then he noticed another door at the far end of the hive. “Excuse me, Mr….what should we call you?”

“We have no names,” the abeil replies. “We are just given identification numbers. I am Worker #89.”

“Well…89,” Enrique replied. “Do you at least know what’s behind that door?”

89 nodded. “That’s where the explorers come from. I don’t think you should go that way; you won’t get very far, so it’s pointless.”

“What are the explorers?” Ik nervously asked.

“Oh, they are relatively safe, at least at this level. They periodically arrive on this level and simply pass through, mapping everything and recording every change. It’s best to leave them alone.”

The wording of that phrase set off alarms in the party’s heads, but they decided that these explorers merited further investigating. Taking their leave of number 89, they traveled through the north door to find a long hallway. At first, the hallway appeared empty save for one creature, an imp-like monster that sat at the far end of the hall and seemed unconcerned with the party’s presence, and a strong-looking metal doorway at the other end. Watching the potential threat carefully, Grim strode quietly into the room, where he promptly was struck by a swift-moving scythe trap.

“Can I stop taking point?” Grim complained, as he bandaged his new wound. Despite the sudden attack from the trap, the creature remained inactive.

“Well, I might as well,” Enrique replied. “I might be able to spot any future traps before it’s too late.”

He carefully searched the hallway, but when he closed with the monster just a bit further, it finally acted by screaming as loud as it could! The screams echoed down the hallway and seemingly proved too much for Enrique, who could do little but block his ears and try to recover from the sudden pain.

“An alarm system!” Elvis yelled, and he quickly prepared his bow to finish the creature. Lorren followed through with his own magic, and the rest of the party opened fire as well. Grim, however, was not interested in attacking from a distance. He preferred to face his enemies directly, and so he charged the monster, where he promptly fell into the pit trap just a short distance from the monster! This was not his day.

Fortunately, the beast eventually fell to the volley of attacks, and Enrique promptly finished exploring the hallway while the party retrieved Grim. His explorations only lasted a few minutes, however, when the metal door opened. A half dozen vaguely humanoid figures emerged. Each was wrapped head to toe in a strange black cloth, making it impossible to see any of their features, but they had a reptilian gait. One of them was sitting on a metal tray of some sort, which was slowly pushed by the other creatures. As it moved, its thick, rusty wheels made a sharp squeaking noise, alerting the party about the nature of these beings. Heeding the message’s advice, they simply watched as the monsters visited each trap, where they removed a number of tools from the trays and reset them both. As they did so, the one on the tray was furiously scribbling on a pad of paper, drawing every detail of the room, including the heroes, perfectly. Finally, one of the creatures grabbed the corpse of the fallen monster, while another took a perfectly healthy monster of the same race out of the tray. The new monster was trapped in a jar, but in a few moments, the metal door opened, the black-clothed creatures removed the screaming imp-creature and placed it where the last imp was, and all half-dozen of them re-entered the darkness beyond the metal door. With a long, slow rumbling noise, the door was closed and the mysterious creatures were gone.

OOC Notes: And that’s as far as the party got through the Gate of Madness so far. I wanted to impose the weird, surreal, creepy nature of the dungeon early on, and hopefully between the giant, friendly bee-man and the “squeakers,” I got things off to a good start. I got the idea for the Gate of Madness from ENWorld, actually. A topic in the main forum was discussing the merits of dungeons, with many complaints about the unrealistic nature of the old-school dungeons. Another poster supported the old dungeons and thought they worked as a more symbolic place than a literal one; a descent into nightmares and the classic underworld, instead of just being a big hole in the ground with its own ecology. Now, I can see the point of the other posters about making it make sense, but I also realized that if handled right, capturing that old-school sense (albeit with more realistically balanced encounters,) could work in a modern game, Hence the Gate of Madness. Now, the reason the Gate is the way it is still poses a mystery, at least to the players, but trust me; I worked out something.

LordVyreth

First Post
The Gate of Madness: Ophidian ophidian ophidian

“So, I say we go after them!” Enrique suggested, to the amazement of Luke and the general acceptance of the rest of the party, which only surprised Luke more.

“Why?” Luke eventually sputtered out. “We have to find the local humanoid tribes, not distract ourselves and probably get horribly killed by bothering the one thing that everyone we met in the Gate so far has agreed that should be left alone.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it; I won’t bother them,” Enrique said. “I’m just going to talk to them.”

“And kill them if we think we have a chance, right?” Elvis asked with an unusual amount of bloodlust.

This prompted a small argument, before Enrique shrugged and approached the door (so far, the replacement screaming creature ignored the party, possibly because they were already inside its sphere of alarm when it was released. “Well, we’re not going to figure out anything by just standing here.” So saying, he simply knocked on the stone door at the end of the hallway.

In an instant, the door opened, revealing at least a half dozen of the strange creatures. The door itself slid open sideways and didn’t even have a doorknob. In addition, a second, much stronger metal door opened just as the stone one did, with a small gap in the walls, floor and ceiling between the doors.

For a moment, both sides wouldn’t move; they simply watched the other in anticipation. Finally, after several minutes of peace, one of the Squeakers pushed a button on his side of the wall. With a soft whir noise, the doors closed, the party heard an audible ring now on the other side of the wall, like the peal of a bell, and then another rumbling sounds abruptly started before fading away.

Enrique tried to knock again, but to no avail. Finally, he and the others decided there was nothing more that can be done here, so they returned to the abeil in the hopes the could rest for the evening in the relative safety of his hive. Negotiations were difficult, but eventually the party agreed to exchange a potion they already required in exchange for a safe night’s rest. The night was uneventful, though Anastacia was greeted by an unpleasant realization that the water in her skin spontaneously turned to blood overnight! After refilling her waterskin and cursing the Gate of Madness in general, the party resumed their journey the next morning, when they returned to the central cavern of the Gate of Madness and tried another direction. This time, they decided to travel the northeast path strictly on a whim, since they saw no other traits that distinguished one of the remaining paths from the other.

Soon, the party came to a strange underground pond, where they met even more of the dungeon’s unusual inhabitants. Four strange reptilian heads rose out of the water, and while three seemed wary of the party and kept their distance, the fourth drew closer and spoke to the party. “What do you want ophidian?” it spoke in a raspy and irritated, but not necessarily hostile, voice.

Luke looked surprised, but he tried to maintain order, much to Elvis’ disappointment. “We are looking for some of the inhabitants of this dungeon. Do you know what is beyond this cavern?”

The lead reptile snorted. “Sure we do ophidian. Beyond here is the goblins ophidian.”

Anastasia already was getting annoyed. “Will you quit saying that?”

The reptile looked confused. “Quit saying what ophidian?”

Even Lorren was starting to get confused by these creatures. “What are you thing?”

“We are the Opidians ophidian.”

Finally giving up on the subject, the party decided to see if these creatures could be helpful to them. “Can you tell us anything about the goblins?” Luke asked.

“Sure ophidian. They call themselves the Suncrush tribe, we think ophidian. They’re not really a tribe, though ophidian. They’re more an outpost for a bunch of hobgoblins ophidian. The goblin chief here gets them something special from here, so he makes a lot of money by trading with the hobgoblins ophidian.

“Does he ever deal with others groups?”

“Sometimes ophidian. Just a while ago, a man in black armor came this way, and he brought a whole bunch of goblins out with him ophidian.”

Luke quickly glanced at the others, who revealed they were thinking the same thing he was. “Was there anything strange about the man’s armor?”

“Yeah ophidian. It looked like it was alive or moving or something ophidian.”

The look on Luke’s face said it all. “Thank you for your help. Is there anything we can give you in return?”

“That depends ophidian. Are you going to fight the goblins ophidian?”

“It’s possible,” Luke admitted.

“Good ophidian. Bring any goblins you defeat back to us ophidian.”

Luke agreed to the deal, and soon the party was entering goblin territory. Unsurprisingly, the entrance was guarded, though initially it appeared that only three normal goblins blocked the entrance. As soon as the party approached, they leveled their weapons and shouted at the party with an angry and warning tone, though sadly no one in the party knew what they said.

“Well, what do we do?” Grim, who was again leading the party, asked. “We need information from these creatures, but we don’t understand their language!”

“We need to speak to their leader at least!” Luke suggested. “Even if he doesn’t speak Common, he must have some translator to do it.”

“But how do we even reach the leader?” Ik asked. “These goblins don’t especially look friendly.”

Elvis smiled as he drew his bow. “I recommend the traditional way!”

Grim groaned. “We can’t simply invade their home just to force information from their leader!”

“I’m sorry, are we talking about the same goblins that attacked MY home?” Lorren asked. “Because I’m pretty sure they deserve some retribution, if we’re talking about those goblins!”

Nobody could argue the point, so Grim quickly led a charge on the goblin guards. This was quickly followed by a retreat FROM the goblin guards when a trap was apparently triggered, shooting lines of electricity across the room! From the relative safety of the corridor, the party instead fired at the goblins while enduring the goblins’ own ranged attacks, but soon the party was victorious. This just left the problem with the trap, which had since reset. Enrique took a moment to investigate the floor, and while he could find a pressure point that apparently triggered the trap, he was unable to disable it without setting off the trap again.

“Anyone else have an idea?” a frustrated Enrique asked.

Grim quickly studied the room and responded. “I think I can reach the other side of the room without touching the ground. Did you notice the goblins were never hit by the electricity? I think there’s a safe place to stand over there. Once I get there, I can try to find a way to turn off the trap or help everyone else get a cross.”

After getting a running start, Grim easily cleared the room. However, he didn’t have any luck find a way to disable the trap on his side, either, and the rest of the party didn’t have as much faith that they could reach the other side of the room with a simple jump.

Finally, Lorren came up with an idea. After driving a dagger into the opposite wall, he tied one end of a rope to it and tossed the other end to Grim. “He can keep the rope taut, and the rest of us can climb across it to reach the other side!” The others agreed it wasn’t a bad plan, but they were less enthused after Lorren, who didn’t exactly have the upper body strength to easily cross ropes, volunteered the rest of the party into trying it first!

Finally, Enrique and Anastacia made it across, when they discovered another problem. There wasn’t any more room on this side for the rest of the party without taking the risk of standing where the goblins didn’t, and thus possibly setting off the trap again. Sick of waiting around, Enrique finally snapped and just opened the door into the goblin territory, where he discovered by a strange lever and a number of additional goblins. While Grim and Anastacia moved up to deal with the new threat (which was in doubt until Grim managed to pull the dagger from the wall again,) Enrique pulled the lever, hoping that it was the control for the trap.

The two close-range fighters in the party soon reached the goblins, but not without difficulty. As they traversed the hallway, a massive, barbed chain burst out of the wall and tried to trip them. They managed to avoid falling at such a crucial time, but not without a cost, as the blade managed to slice at each them. As the duo neared the goblins, the rest of the party cautiously took a few steps into the electrically trapped room, and to their relief Enrique indeed managed to find the trap release, letting them assist the lead members of the party. This proved very helpful, for moments later, another half-dozen goblins poured out of two side paths of the hallway.

The party was suddenly outnumbered. Granted, it was by goblins, but nonetheless it was a difficult situation for a party wounded by traps and still slightly recovering from past injuries. Nonetheless, the party prevailed. Many of the goblins were fortunately unable to get into the corridor with the party’s strongest warriors blocking their paths, letting the rest of Fra Dane’s unlikeliest heroes surround the goblins and pick them off using distance weapons or emerge behind any goblins that managed to get into the hallway and try to overwhelm the opposition.

The party was victorious, but they also had too many injuries to safely continue into the goblin’s territory. “I don’t like having to retreat this far into the goblin’s base,” Luke pondered. “They’ll be ready for us next time. But we can’t confront the goblin chief with any kind of authority if we can barely stand up, either. We need to find a safe place to rest.”

“What about Worker 89?” Ik asked. “He seems trustworthy. He didn’t do anything to us last time.”

Most of the party, though, looked reluctant. “Something about him really disturbs me,” Elvis commented.

“Besides, he’ll probably make us pay for it again,” Enrique added. “I’d rather not waste any more of our treasure if we can help it. What about the ophidians? They said we should bring the bodies of any goblins we defeat to them. Maybe we can work out a trade.”

Elvis didn’t look any happier trusting their lives to the lizard people than the bee person, but the rest of the party seemed to agree. They quickly stripped the goblin bodies of any worthwhile items they could find, including a note that was unfortunately also written in goblin, and then dragged the bodies back to the strange amphibious monsters.

“If we give you these goblins, will you let us rest by your pond?” Luke asked the creatures.

The only ophidian who can apparently speak common nodded. “Yes ophidian. The goblins won’t attack us here ophidian.”

“What do you want the goblins for, anyway?” Anastacia asked.

The ophidian grinned. “They’re delicious ophidian. We can’t eat fish all the time ophidian. But did you take any of them alive ophidian?”

Before anyone could stop him, Lorren asked “Why? What’s so special about living goblins?”

“We need them to make more ophidians ophidian. We aren’t many now ophidian. We need more to fight the goblins or return to the lower level ophidian”

Nobody seemed interested in learning more about how the ophidians reproduced, or at least they managed to stop Lorren from asking this time, but information about the lower level could be useful, they realized. “How do you get to the lower level?” Luke asked.

“The goblins have their own way ophidian, but we have a tunnel to our river below this level ophidian,” the lead ophidian replied. “But we can’t go down there now ophidian. Too many enemies would fight us ophidian.”

“Like what?”

“Our most hated enemies are there ophidian. We call them the inphidian ophidian. They’re very bad ophidian.”

Not eager to talk further (and really sick of the word “ophidian,”) the party let the creatures return underwater, and then made camp at the far end of the pond. They spent several hours planning the next day, and were well aware that if they wanted to escape the Gate region before winter, they only had only five days left.

When they returned to the goblin camp the next day, the party wasn’t surprised to see that new guards were at the entrance, and they were certain the electric trap was set again. What was surprising, though, was that one of the guards was shouting at the party as they arrived, and not in a hostile way. Instead, he was waving a piece of paper, and when the party was sufficiently confused by his actions into holding their attack, he slid the paper to the party.

Grim, being an unusually literate barbarian, quickly read the note. “It says that he goblin chief decided to speak to us,” he said. “He wants us to meet with him. Apparently we got his attention after our actions yesterday.”

Enrique snorted. “Yeah, we’ll just meet with him in the depths of his cave, with who knows how many goblins between us and the way out? If we’re going to do this without violence, make him meet us on our territory. What about next to the Ophidians?”

The party generally responded the same way, so Grim wrote the party’s response on the paper and slid it back to the goblins. The goblin that picked it up didn’t even bother reading it; he simply banged on the door behind him, and then gave it to the goblin that opened the door.

A few minutes later, a voice called out to the party in Common. “This is Geritch, the chief of the goblins. I understand that you have been responsible for some concerns within my tribe. I suggest, if you do not trust me sufficiently to visit my office, that we compromise and meet here. It will give us both a means to withdraw should negotiations break down.”

The party conferred before reluctantly agreeing. A few moments later, a goblin in unusually impressive clothing entered the room, accompanied by both more goblins and more exotic creatures. A bat, seemingly made of fire, rested next to the goblin leader. Even stranger, a mass of electricity in a semi-humanoid form stood in front of the goblin chief, serving as an obvious if unusual bodyguard. The party could even swear they saw a miniature storm cloud on the other side of the door before it inexplicably slammed it!

After finishing his obvious display of power, which as usual ruined Elvis’ plan to just kill him, Geritch opened the dialogue. “So, what exactly did you need from me so urgently that you had to kill my warriors to get it?”

Luke tried to take a conciliatory tone. “We are from Fra Dane, and we do apologize for the attacks on your tribe, but we came to see answers for your own attack on our city.”

Geritch nodded knowingly. “Ah, so that’s what this is about. Yes, some strange humans in black armor sought our assistance. We were supposed to work with some of the other tribes to procure something called the Jewel of Success.”

“Were they upset that you couldn’t get it?” Enrique asked, while barely hiding his smug tone.

Geritch shrugged. “They never mentioned it. I suspect they just wanted a diversion. I decided it was better not to ask.”

“And you don’t mind what happened to your people?” Grim asked with disgust.

“Not really,” Geritch replied with a laugh. “The payment they provided me made it more than worth it. My employers, if you will, provide me with enough men to make up for any losses.”

Anastacia was in awe of this. “They must have paid you a lot of money for such a flippant response.”

Geritch shook his head. “Oh no, they didn’t offer something as simple as gold. My skills and this location provide me with enough resources that mere money wouldn’t have made it worth it.”

“So what did they offer you?” Luke asked.

Geritch considered this, and then shouted in Goblin towards the door. “One moment, please,” he said pleasantly to the party. A moment later, a goblin carrying a small class case entered the room. The case seemed to contain a tiny wasp-like insect with a tail that glowed slightly.

“This is a phase wasp,” Geritch explained. “Our new ‘friends’ apparently breed them in mass. They offered me three entire hives worth of the creatures for payment. Only a few have reached maturity now, sadly, but soon, I’ll have an entire swarm of them! I haven’t decided if I should sell most of them to my hobgoblin brethren, or use them to consolidate power here.”

“Are you sure we shouldn’t kill him?” Elvis asked anxiously, but Luke brushed him off.

“We really have more interest in the people in black armor. If they organized the raid on our city, we must take our vengeance to them. Can you tell us anything about them?” Lorren asked.

“Well, they said their organization was called Effervo Vesica,” Geritch offered.

Lorren looked disappointed. “We knew that already. What about the names of the people themselves?”

Geritch replied, “Actually, we only dealt with one of them. There was apparently another member who was once in charge, but he first went to the kobolds, and, well, he didn’t come back. This second man was intelligent enough to treat both us and my kobold neighbors fairly. He had somewhat more trouble with the orcs on the next level, but he apparently cowed them into servitude as well. If you speak to the kobolds, you might be able to get the head of their less diplomatic ambassador. As for the one that spoke to us, I believe the orcs learned his name during the fight. He was a very unusual man, I believe. He wore some sort of strange living armor.”

Luke nodded excitably. “That’s our man!”

Enrique was less enthused. “So, let me get this straight. You can offer us nothing about him?”

Gretich smiled. “Oh, not at all. You see, while we were happy to work for these Effervo Vesica people, we don’t obey their every word. Specifically, he ordered us to never follow him back to his local base camp, so I had my little assistant here do it.” He pointed to the fiery bat, who shrieked on cue. “As a result, I have a very accurate map to a nearby base of theirs. I will be willing to part with it for, say, 500 gold. In addition, my lair has other features you may be interested in. We have control of the only physical staircase to the next lower level. If you plan on confronting the orcs, we can grant you safe access to it for another 300 gold.”

“We’ll definitely need that map,” Ik whispered after the party formed a huddle. “But I’m not sure if we need another way down. After all, the Ophidians mentioned they had a way, and we already are on good terms with them.”

Luke nodded. “Very well. We’ll give him five hundred gold for the map, and see if we can do business afterwards if necessary. After all, we nearly made five hundred gold just from the goblins we already fought.” He turned to Gretich. “We will take your, map, but not the access to the next level.”

“Are you sure?” Gretich asked innocently. “We can let you visit our sauna while you’re here. And I can show you the frescoes we discovered after settling here.”

“You have a sauna?” Ik asked with interest, but Luke shook his head.

“No, that will suffice for now. Perhaps we can make some sort of other deal later?”

“Maybe,” and Gretich’s eyes narrowed, “On one condition. I noticed that some of your friends aren’t so inclined to trust me.” Almost on cue, Elvis and Lorren started whistling as casually as possible. “If we want to remain on good diplomatic terms, I want you to swear to your god that you will keep your people under control and honor our truce.”

Luke hesitated, but he related. “Very well. In Ehlonna’s name, we will remain peaceful with you so long as you do the same to us.”

“Fantastic!” Gretich cheered, and he quickly wrote something on a piece of paper and handed it to Luke. Luke skimmed it, and realized it was a message written in both Common and Goblin that the holder of this note are to be treated well and not attacked by goblins. At least, that’s what Luke thought the Goblin part said, but he couldn’t really be certain.

And so, the first part of their mission was successful. They obtained information from the goblins about Effervo Vesica. Now, it was time to shake the kobolds down for whatever they could tell the party.

OOC Notes: One thing about the Gate of Madness that I enjoy is the ability to use enemies from nearly any source. The last two adventures had monsters from nearly every monster book I collected. The next few games should be fun, though, as I’ll be able to soon use monsters I made myself!

LordVyreth

First Post
The Gate of Madness: The Horror of the Giggling Door

Negotiations with the kobolds were breaking down. After finding the entrance to their lair on the only path they haven’t explored yet on the first level, the party confronted the two guards at the door, only to find that they didn’t speak Common, either. However, concerned with the respect the goblin chief had for a mere kobold, the party decided to try negotiating first. This brought a kobold diplomat who did speak Common, but apparently he and the chief shared a lack of interest in the party. As the negotiations turned to shouting and threats of violence, the two kobold guards, who couldn’t understand a word of the conversation but easily picked up its tone, looked increasingly desperate at their so-called ambassador.

Fortunately for the two of them, at least for now, the last display of power by Lorren was enough for the kobold ambassador to take notice. Seemingly cowed, he called the two guards in from the entrance (to their undisguised relief,) and then told the party to enter so that they can begin “negotiations.”

“There’s no way it’ll be this easy,” Elvis said suspiciously.

Luke sighed with resignation. “I have to admit I agree, but if we can at least try to resolve this peacefully, we should. After all, we still have the orcs to deal with, and we’re running out of time.”

As the party passed a completely empty guardhouse, Luke’s hopes at least initially appeared correct. That changed, however, when their guide entered the next room. Before the party could follow, the door slammed shut, forcing the party to take precious seconds to get it open again. By the time they could see the next room, their guide was gone. Instead, the room had a pair of wooden catwalks that covered both sides of the room and numerous dark alcoves containing potentially anything.

“We’ve been betrayed!” Enrique yelled angrily, and he rushed into the room with Grim and Anastacia. Before they could get far, though, foul creatures emerged from the alcoves. They were humans, or at least they used to be, but now they were little more than stitched together flesh or bone. As the zombies and skeletons descended on the party, the kobolds fired using surprisingly well-built slings. The party returned fire, only to find that the kobold archers were surprisingly well-armored and hard to hit.

“We need your power!” a frantic Elvis shouted at Luke while he tried to even damage the archers.

Luke looked at his holy symbol nervously. He knew in his heart that Ehlonna would protect him from creatures like these, but then again he never had to test that theory before. Nonetheless, he concentrated on his lifelong faith while raising his holy symbol. Even though the doubts that rose from his church’s sudden dubious new leader gave him pause, he was pleased to see that his hope was not ill-founded; many of the undead monstrosities were driven away by the light of Ehlonna.

With their enemies scattered, the party fought on with renewed vigor. Though wounded fairly heavily in the fight earlier, Anastacia and Grim held out long enough to finish the remaining undead, while Lorren and Elvis finally eliminated the kobold archers. Enrique led the fight against the turned undead and finished them before they could recover and again attack the party. However, from his position on the other side of the room, he noticed that in addition to a door directly opposite the one they used to enter the room, there were additional doors on the same level as the catwalks the archers used. Enrique carefully climbed up to the nearest catwalk (which he would have done anyway to search the enemy bodies,) and then called out to the party, “Hey, I have an idea! If the kobolds are expecting us to attack them from the main door, we can sneak in and ambush them using this door.”

Eager to avoid another death trap, the party agreed, and after Enrique secured a room up to the ledge, they carefully climbed up and traversed the narrow path further into the kobolds’ lair. Soon, they came to another room, and while it apparently led to the same room that the main doors would have reached, if the massive doors on the ground level on their side were any indication, they apparently had the two guards in the room caught unaware. However, another complication soon hindered the party; they tunnel was so narrow that only one of them could look out of it and attack the kobolds at a time! Enrique responded to this problem by climbing a ladder down to the next level, while Grim decided to make things simpler by just leaping to the ground and attacking the kobolds! Lorren was next in line and attacked the nearest kobold with his magic, but that left Anastacia, who was next in line, without any way to reach their targets. Eager to at least try to help the party, she rushed to the front of the tunnel, which unfortunately involved pushing poor Lorren out of the tunnel! As he landed in an uncomfortable heap on the ground, the party continued to swarm on the surprised guards, and despite their armor, they were quickly finished off.

Besides the kobolds themselves, the room seemingly contained only a single, gilded door. Enrique excitedly examined the door, only to reply moments later, “No, it’s just gold paint,” with disappointment in his voice. He sadly gestured toward the door, obviously expecting someone else to open it. Anastacia was the first to open the door, prompting a massive stone block to swing out of the wall and knock her unconscious! All eyes, except for Lorren’s, glared angrily at Enrique, who shrugged. “Well, I figured out what the door wasn’t,” he admitted. “I wasn’t that certain what it was, exactly.”

While the party stabilized Anastacia’s wounds, Enrique disarmed the trap and Grim opened the door. To the part’s surprise, the door actually fell over backwards like a drawbridge. It even required a rope and pulley system to close again. After his most recent failure, Enrique was quickly made to take point so he could confirm that the way was safe before proceeding. He slowly made his way down the corridor beyond the drawbridge door. About the time he got halfway down it, however, the party had another surprise. A kobold, in a way that seemed casual, opened a secret door and sauntered into the room. Upon realizing that the party was still there, he stopped mid-stride and immediately tried to escape. However, it was not to be. Grim and Luke charged the unfortunate kobold while Lorren, Elvis, and Ik supported the party from a distance.

Enrique, however, didn’t even realize there was a fight until he returned to the party. “The route seems safe,” he confirms, “but it doesn’t really lead anywhere. There’s a huge cliff at the end of the hall.” Eager to examine the phenomenon, the party carefully approached the end of the tunnel to see the massive cliff. The walls of the cliff extended beyond their vision, and the same was true for the drop, making it at least sixty feet to the bottom. Grim even cautiously dropped a rock down the pit and shuddered slightly when the rock could never even be heard hitting bottom.

“To be honest,” Lorren admitted as he looked over the edge, “I’m sort of glad Anastacia is still unconscious right now.”

The party returned to the gilded door and carefully closed it. The secret door was now the only way they had of getting further into the kobold’s realm, but even with the last kobold’s unaware response to the party, they still suspected another trap, so once again Enrique was stuck going ahead to make sure the path was safe. And once again, this caused more problems than it solved. Enrique tried to silently sneak through the tunnel into the next room, but before he could get near it, he almost tripped on a rock. As soon as he stumbled into the next room, he saw that its inhabitants, two zombies and a hideous dog with two heads, where well aware of his presence and on their way to attack!

“Zombies! Doggie with two heads!” Enrique screamed as he dashed out of the tunnel. The party quickly responded, with Grim taking point and Luke preparing to turn the undead. However, the narrow confines again proved problematic for the party. Luke was successful at holding the undead at bay, and he even caused one zombie to dissolve into ash instantly, but Grim had more trouble with the dog, and the rest of the party couldn’t fire at it without risking an attack on Grim. Finally, though, Elvis decided to chance it, only for him to drive an arrow right into Grim’s back! As the unfortunate barbarian collapsed, the dog ran right over his “defeated” foe and leapt on Elvis, mauling him with both pairs of its filthy, disease-ridden jaws. Finally, though, the dog was brought down, and Grim’s wounds were bandaged. The party realized that they were too injured to safely travel further today, but at the same time they didn’t want to give up too much land and give the kobolds an opportunity to rebuild their defenses. Of course, there was also a risk of attack while the party was resting. Finally, the party agreed to partially make a tactical withdraw to the abandoned guardhouse they saw on the way in. After carefully confirming that it actually was still abandoned, the party rested four the third time since they came to the Gate. Only four days remained before the caravan would return for them, however.

When they returned to the room with the wooden catwalks, they found the bodies of both the kobolds and the undead gone, but there were no additional forces waiting for them. The same was true of the gilded door room, though the secret door was closed again. When they entered the secret room, it was also bereft of bodies, but when they tried to open the next door, they were shocked to hear the door itself actually giggle! Enrique immediately investigated the door, out of a misplaced fear that there was someone on the other side of the door laughing at them, but after he heard the door chuckle when he put his ear to it, he quit in disgust and opened the door, which caused the door to really laugh. “I’m starting to really hate this place,” he muttered.

In the next room, apparently the throne room of the kobold chieftain, they finally found kobolds waiting for them. Surprisingly, though, the two kobolds in question were unarmed and clearly willing to surrender. The party immediately recognized one of the kobolds as the same ambassador that met the party at the front door. “Where’s your leader?” Elvis growled at the kobold, but he just glumly responded by pointing at a caved-in tunnel.

“She decided that fighting you more would not be to her benefit,” the ambassador replied. “She left me here to negotiate with you.” The other kobold, who apparently didn’t speak Common, simply cowered in the corner of the room.

Enrique, Anastacia, and Ik immediately searched the room for valuables. Enrique was excited about the throne, which unlike the earlier door was actually made of gold, but Ik was even more enthused about a piano in the corner. “Wow, it has a full 88 keys!” she said excitedly. She quickly sat down to try it out, demonstrating to the entire party and two unfortunate kobolds that the piano was one instrument she was not professionally trained in at this point.

Luke tried to ignore the rancor and ask about what they came for. “We want the skull of the Effervo Vesica agent you killed.”

The ambassador nodded. “She understood that, but she kept it with the other trophies of enemies she defeated.” He indicated a door in the room. “She kept the skull in here, but she arranged with two other skulls, and I don’t know which one is the real one. She only told me to give you this and said it would help you.” With that, he handed the party a skin full of what was, at least in theory, water.

The party cautiously opened the door and saw the three skulls hung up on hooks. Above the skull, a simple message was written:

Three Skulls of Enemies Long Dead
Each Died A Death Unique
One Breathed the Fumes of Death
One Met a Demise of Water
The Last Was Crushed By Earth Itself

Elvis groaned. “She left us a puzzle? Why would she do this?”

Lorren glared at the kobolds. “If I had to guess, I’d say she hoped we would set off a trap. She knew we couldn’t leave without the skull, and this way, she’d have a chance of killing us without endangering more of her own people.”

Enrique finished searching the room and found the only other object in it. “I think this bucket might be useful,” he said dubiously.

Grim offered the simple option. “Well, the diplomat gave us water, and the message suggests a death by water. What if we filled the bucket with the water and tried to pour the water on the skulls or even submerse them? That way, if there’s a trap, we can figure out if there’s anything special about the skulls without touching them.”

Lorren shook his head. “That just seems too simple. And how can we trust the kobold’s assistance? Maybe the water just sets the trap off.”

Elvis responded by grabbing the diplomat. “Well, who says that WE have to do it? It seems to me that the chief gave us the solution to the trap after all!”

Luke seemed reluctant. “We can’t just use them as bait for traps! They’re surrendering prisoners!”

Anastacia rolled her eyes. “It’s their own trap, though. If they’re still technically trying to kill us, I don’t think it’s a problem.”

Luke conceded the point, and soon the simple kobold assistant, who figured out the situation soon enough despite the language barrier, tried to place the bucked under the skulls. One sunk into it normally, but the other two seemingly repelled the bucket, preventing it from submersing them. At the party’s orders, the same kobold took the seemingly normal skull from off the hook and gave it to the party without any further incident.

“Huh, so it WAS that easy,” Lorren admitted.

Elvis grinned evilly. “We can make them take the skulls off of the other hooks and see what happens.”

Anastacia was more practical, if no more merciful. “What about giving them to Ophidians? They said they needed goblins to reproduce. I’m sure the kobolds aren’t that much different.”

At this, the diplomat looked up with shock. “No!” he shouted. “I’d rather be thrown off the cliff into the Gravity Well!”

Lorren sounded interested in this Gravity Well, which he assumed was the cliff they found earlier, but Luke finally put his foot down. “Stop that! We got what we wanted from them, so no throwing them into traps, throwing them off cliffs, or somehow turning them into weird lizard-people.”

“Weird lizard people with speech impediments!” Ik clarified.

The party grumbled but accepted Luke’s decision this time, and they decided to leave the piano and the throne behind as well, at least until they were ready to leave and their excess weight wouldn’t cause a problem. With the kobolds and the goblins dealt with, they only had to proceed to the second level to find the orcs and learn the name of their adversary. Of course, the question remained: how to get there?

“I don’t suppose we can try the elevator again?” Enrique offered.

The party tellingly ignored Enrique, and Luke made the next suggestion. “What about the tunnel the Ophidans suggested? They seem friendly towards us.”

Anastacia shuddered. “I don’t like the idea of having to find a tunnel underwater, not to mention being at the mercy of those things. Let’s just re-negotiate with the goblins. We can afford to now.”

The party agreed that the Ophidians were too bizarre to be trusted, and soon the party was back in goblin territory, where their previously obtained papers got them an audience with he chieftain himself. The party was soon escorted back into a familiar hall and from there in a room with several closed wooden trap doors. From there, the party was taken to a domed room with a fresco covering the ceiling. Geritch himself barely acknowledged the party as they entered and seemed more interested in a hole in the wall. “Hey, good to see you again,” he casually said as the party entered the room. “Take a look at this.”

The party, wary of a trap, obediently approached and looked at the hole. The saw that the hole opened to the top of a massive, bowl-shaped room far too perfectly shaped to be natural. The bottom of the bowl was dominated by a sphere of blinding light. Strange, tiny humanoid figures slowly moved on the slope above the light, their shapes creating dark shadows over the sphere.

“We call this the Energy Bowl,” Geritch calmly explained. “We think it’s a portal to the Plane of Fire or something. All I know is that it and the storms it makes keeps me in business. Plus, it’s great for my tan.” He turned to the party. “Now, I heard that you were interested in buying the rights to use my passage to the next level after all? I assume you’re willing to pay?”

The party was almost willing to pay the price Geritch offered, but Enrique had another idea. “Well, we found a piano when we raided the kobold’s lair. We can give you that.”

Geritch looked very interested. “You attacked the kobolds? How did you do?”

Lorren smiled. “We drove them out past the throne room. They sealed the tunnel as they fled, though, so we couldn’t get any further.

Geritch chuckled. “And you offer me her personal piano! Excellent! I will gladly take such payment! In fact, for a gift like that, I’ll even let you use our tribe’s sauna!”

Anastacia looked excited at the chance for some actual luxury, but Luke looked more reluctant. “Perhaps…on the way back,” he offered. With that, the party left to retrieve the piano, though as they did, Elvis told the rest of the party about an idea he had. Moments later, the two kobolds, as they tried to figure out what they were going to do to survive for the months before the tunnel is cleared, were surprised when the party burst back into the room, shouting and with weapons drawn! The two kobolds were too terrified to even move and thus did nothing but stare in confusion as the party suddenly changed directions and then calmly lifted the piano up and carried it out of the room.

OOC: This takes us to nearly the end of the second full adventure in the Gate of Madness. The party’s adventures through the second level continue from here, but they didn’t get far yet, and the game resumes tomorrow. As you might have noticed, the undead turning rules were altered for my campaign. Basically, each undead has a TR (Turn Resistance) equal to 10 + their CR and any turn resistance bonus they may have. The cleric rolls a caster level check plus Charisma for each undead. Beating the undead’s TR will turn them as normal, but beating it by 10 will destroy them, letting even a low-level cleric like Luke destroy a weak undead at times.

Last edited:

LordVyreth

First Post
The Gate of Madness: Giant Hideous Insect Monsters Are Too Trusting

A quick glimpse around their immediate location made their next path clear. Upon entering the second level, the party saw three paths. The path to the northwest was periodically buffeted by jets of steam that could be seen even from the stairwell. The northeast path was full of steam as well, and while Geritch told the party of a safe place to rest in that direction run by semi-friendly elemental creatures, the party thought it would be wise to try the other way for now. Once again, Enrique insisted on going ahead (at an extremely strong suggestion from Anastacia.) As he crept carefully down the tunnel, he clearly heard the sounds of battle ahead. He got closer to investigate and saw firsthand how the creatures of the Gate were clearly getting weirder. A massive, semi-humanoid crab was apparently being ambushed by two tiny frogs!

Enrique quickly got back to the party to give his report, prompting the party to eagerly investigate the event. When they got near, Lorren took a quick look at the fight and explained the combatants as best he could. “The large creature is called a crabman. Or, if you insist, a crabfolk. They’re generally isolationists, and they rarely attack unless provoked. The frogs, however, are dangerous. They’re known as Blindheim, and they can, as their name suggests, blind their opponents. They’re also very hostile in pursuing food or power. I can say with near-certainty that they started this fight.”

With that, the party rushed to attack. If they were going to get into a fight, they were much happier siding with the one who might be grateful afterwards. The crabman, for his part, was surprised to see the party arrive, but he ignored them to focus on the frogs. The fight quickly turned problematic, though, as both the crabman and then Anastacia and Luke were blinded by the brilliant eyes of the frogs. Fortunately, they were destroyed before they could cause further trouble, but then the party had to decide if they wanted to wait for the blindness to wear off, whenever that was, and what to do about the crabman. Fortunately, after it heard the death croaks of the Blindheims, it immediately froze in place out of fear that it might harm its saviors. As the party planned their next move, Enrique took the opportunity to pick the creature’s pouch!

The party waited several minutes, and after the blindness failed to end, they decided to press on and leave the crab for now. They passed several exits before coming to a cavern that seemed to be shrouded in a dark, shadowy mist. Since the party was half-blind anyway, they decided to explore while the darkness wouldn’t bother them that much. This almost proved a mistake when a large creature landed with a heavy thud in front of them. Those in the party who could still see could just make out the dark outline of a bat before it screamed at them, stunning much of the party. Despite much of the party being stunned and/or blinded, however, the remaining competent heroes defeated it and ventured farther into the depths of the dark cavern.

The creature ran as it heard the panicked clicks of his friend. He soon caught up with his terrified friend as he stood in a river. He looked around and started to plead with the creature. The two creatures didn’t share a same language, but their native tongues were based on the same emotional connections to the same sounds, so the creature could make out the crabman’s pleas. “Help! Items stolen! Must find new friends for help!”

“Well, that was a waste of time,” Lorren complained as they reached the end of the cavern. “We almost got eaten by a bat, we’ve been blinded and deafened and the gods know what else.” Elvis coughed as dramatically as possible. “Oh yes, and Elvis came down with a cold something. And all we found was a staircase further down.”

Anastacia shrugged. “Well, we may have to explore the lower levels some day. It’s good to know where we’ll have to go in that case. And who knows? Maybe the Effervo Vesica made even more allies after the orcs.”

“Even so, we’re better off backtracking from here,” Ik suggested. “We won’t find the orcs from this direction.”

As the party traveled back, however, they were surprised by two completely different groups. First, mysterious snakes apparently made out of the very shadows emerged out of the walls themselves. The party swung at them in desperation, but their weapons had no effect. Just as the snakes were about to be upon them, they saw the second mysterious potential threat. A mantis-like insect had entered the cavern and was impassively staring at them from the shadows!

Fortunately, the insect seemingly had no interest in the party, at least at first. This let them concentrate on the snakes, which were forced to shift into physical bodies before they struck. They managed to get a few light bites at the party, but before they could do any real damage, they were easily ripped apart by the party. At that point, though, the mantis suddenly turned and emitted a clicking noise. The crabman emerged from the shadows and appeared to be speaking to the mantis in a strange clicking language.

Surprisingly, the mantis turned to the party and spoke to them in Common. “My friend tells me that you helped him when he was ambushed earlier. Did you happen to see who stole his possessions afterwards?”

Trying hard not to look at Enrique, Ik nervously replied, “No, we didn’t see anything. It must’ve been…washed down the river. Yeah, that’s it!”

The mantis explained this to the crab in the same strange clicking language, and then introduced himself. “I am Chitka. My friend and I would like to accompany you for now and provide assistance in return. Both of us have been separated from our people. My friend here, who sadly lacks a name you can pronounce in this tongue, lives in this place, but he got separated and can’t find his way back down to his level. As for me, my people first came to this dungeon to look for a new home, but we were attacked by something. I wasn’t able to see what it was before the others told me to flee.”

The party quickly debated on accepting these new allies. “Well, I think we can use all the help we can get,” Grim suggested. “It’s not like we didn’t find friendly bugs here earlier.”

Enrique shook his head. “I don’t trust anything that strange,” he offered.

Elvis nodded. “There’s something about them that makes me nervous,” he admitted. “Especially that mantis thing. I think we had something similar creatures back on Mesion, and they didn’t get along well with elves.”

“They didn’t like you?” Anastacia asked.

“Oh, they liked us a lot,” Elvis replied. “They thought we were delicious.”

“Look, we can use all the help we can get,” Lorren grumbled. “If they cause a problem, we can get rid of them, but until then, I say they can say.”

The majority agreed with Loren, so Chitka and the crab joined the party. Chitka, who was wandering this floor of the dungeon for a while now, pointed out that the orcs were living in the eastern path the party previously skipped. Before they could even get to the orcs, however, they encountered yet another unusual Gate of Madness inhabitant the orcs were apparently using for a pet/guardian. A snail, far larger than anyone in the party, slowly emerged from the tunnel. The party was split in how to respond to such a strange threat. Half of them, including Elvis and Lorren, preferred to fight the monster from a distance, but Enrique, Grim, and even the crab, who had difficulty working with the party in regarding battle tactics due to the language barrier, were already too close to the snail to withdraw. Instead, they surrounded the creature and slowly reduced it to a puddle of goo, but it was a difficult battle. The snail responded to their attacks by swinging at them using a number of antennae shaped like flails, and by the time the monster was brought down, half the party could barely stand.

“We can’t fight the orcs like this!” Anastacia complained. “Can you think of anyplace nearby where we can safely rest?” she asked Chitka.

Chitka thought for a moment and then reluctantly offered a suggestion. “Well, there is one place,” he said, “but the creatures inhabiting it are kind of, well, strange.”

OOC Notes: Chitka is going to be a new player in the campaign. Since I couldn’t find a level progression in Savage Species for the Thri-Kreen, I had to make one up. That character should be…interesting once the game moves back into Fra Dane territory! The “weird things” part of the adventure is not quite over, but it should get finished up by this weekend. There’s probably only a 50/50 chance of playing this weekend due to Labor Day.

Remove ads