• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Chronicles of Riddick future setting

Falanor

First Post
Psion said:
Aargh! Gnash!

Sometimes I loathe peripheral takes on canon.

I'm not entirely sure how non-canon it is though. Quite a bit of that which happens in the game has implications to the movie and vice versa. I need to rewatch the bonus disc that came with the pre-order but I think that the creator had quite a bit of input in the game as well...

Mystaros

First Post
Psion said:
Aargh! Gnash!

Sometimes I loathe peripheral takes on canon.

Actually, the further development of this that occurs within the Director's Cut of CoR and the novelization indicate the "otherworldly," non-surgical nature of his eyeshine is quite likely canonical. It becomes evident from the book and the DC of the movie that Riddick is, like the Lord Marshall, something not altogether human. His relationship with the Hellhounds indicates this as well.

I finally picked up the CoR novelization, and there is a good deal of information in there, especially about the Necromongers. It still places the setting at some far-distant, unnamed time in the future... could be centuries, could be millennia. But it is definitely based on our own galaxy at some future time.

I now need to pick up Pitch Black and the novelization thereof. There is sure to be even more information in there...

PJ-Mason

First Post
Okay. I just got done watching the two movies back to back. COR gets better every time i watch it.

Before i get to my Intel report, i have a couple comments.

First, i have only the Original Pitch Black and COR. I do not have the director's version, the cartoon, or the video game.

Riddick as a superhuman
There is evidence to support this. But its all evidence thats on the borderline. The only things that truly stand out to me in both the movies is his supersenses and his endurance.
In Pitch Black he can smell people, the tools and what kind of cloths they have on them. He can smell blood from ridiculous distance and can tell that a girl is on her period. He can also detect invisible air elementals right before they materialize in COR. It goes way beyond "i've got good Spot bonus" for me. The strength feats he pulls off is within human range (barely! We're talking captain olympic here), but its the endurance that is mindboggling. Regardless of dragging 400 lbs of power cells across a desert, only stopping for mortal combat with alien creatures. But in COR he is absolutely non stop, regardless of his wounds or running a 30 kilometer trek and then fighting a company of necromongers, etc. The "its an action flick!" will only take me so far before i start handing out bonus abilities. He takes a truly superhuman beating at the hands of the Lord Marshall and it doesn't really seem to concern him. I think this is tied into the Furyan energy thing, he is an everlast battery. I think that makes sense for the Furyans, since the Purifier also pulls off the crazy walk of fire thing. Thats was too cool, btw.
So i'd give Furyans Scent, spot/listen bonus/class skills, endurance, and the mental bonus (will save). Mayyyyybe even some outright damage reduction! sheesh. Riddick makes John McClain (Diehard) look soft!

Okay onto the stuff. This is the info that i pulled out of the movies and special features on the DVD.

Races/Monsters
-Night Raptors (PB) - ya know...this is off the wall, but these things don't look all that different than the xenos in aliens...
-Hellhounds (COR)
-Furyans (an extinct race that had many survivors apparently...)
-Elementals (Air, Earth, Ether, Fire, and Water)
-Necromongers (quasi-dead, quarter dead, and half dead. Also, those wierd tracker guys, who seem like failed converts or something to me. More of a template really.)

Planets/Systems
-Sol System (surprise!!)
-Tangea System (one of the destinations of the Hunter Gratsner in Pitch Black)
-Helion System (First planet is Helion Prime, home of New Mecca)
-Lupus System 1-5 (seems pretty much like a merc hangout system. A definite Mos Eisly vibe. fitting name LOL)
-U.V. System (6th planet is the one Riddick was hiding on)
-Achelon System (9 planets. People here are not very "chatty")
-Underverse (a distant constellation of Dark Worlds...vague.)
-Coalsack System (a system destroyed by the Necromongers)
-Aquilan System (another necro victim)

Slams
Slams apparently in three variety: Single, Double, and Triple Max.
-Butcher Bay (its a dark place is all i know!), don't remember if they said what max level.
-Corovan Penal Facility a single max prison that riddick made jokes about.
-Ursa Luna - a double max slam that keeps a cell warm for riddick for when he visits...
-Crematorium (After Tombs and his mercs capture Riddick on Helion Prime after the intitial Necro attack, Riddick says that Crematorium is the only one of three slams in the system that the ship could reach. So that would mean that the Crematorium is in the Helion system. Which makes sense since Jack took off from HP and then got into some trouble and got sent to slam at Crematorium) - Triple Max. 52 hour days. ugh.

Culture
-This definitely a major merc/bounty hunter culture in this setting. Rife throughout both movies. Good gaming there!! :)
-Religion plays a big part in both movies. Both good guys and bad guys.
-Space Travel is not in hours, but days to weeks to months. The Hunter Gratzner wasn't due to its destination for another 22 weeks (!) when it crashed in PB. But then it was "coach". In COR, travel takes days to planet hop, so to system hop would be significant. Thats for fast ships, bot the cargo ships like in PB, which are slow enough to need sleep chambers. I think the travel time is largely glossed over, but the Necros had time to convert and indoctrinate Jack before Riddick caught up to them and got medievel on the Lord Marshall. There are definire space lanes, with some places being off the main routes (like the Acheron system). One space lane is called the Sol Track, i can only assume thats the main route for the Sol system.

Necroism
Despite some of the tongue in cheek names like Underverse and the like...this is a really cool religion! It reminds me of the death cult in Mage the ascension (the Thanatos or something). There is a lot of material a gm could work with here.
It had 6 Lord Mashalls (not entirely sure if the one in the movie was the 6th or not).
The 1st LM was Khovu the Transcended, who discovered the Underverse and started it all.
The 3rd LM was Naffamill the Navigator
the 5th LM was Krill who created/discovered the quasi-dead (the mind readers).
There was also a Necromonger hero Baylock, who used the quasi-dead for a great victory. Don't know if he was a LM though, but he definitely came after Krill.

Whew. I'm tired now. goodbye.

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
Scent thing isn't that impressive.
I can smell a person's mood in the right circumstances, and when the wind is right.
I can certainly smell blood, and especially the difference in chemistry between a woman in her menstrual period and the other 3 weeks of the month.

I'm told I have a pretty good sense of smell... I don't really think so... it's just sort of ... natural. I think the real difference is that I just pay attention. :)

dwayne

Adventurer
an idea

Maybe what you said about the setting being in some future earth date. Could riddick and his race be, now I am just saying this is an idea, the long forgotten leftovers from some war like genetic soldiers that were discarded left to fiend for them selves. I think this would work to find out the origin of the race its self were the remains of genetic space marines or some thing. Still just an idea?

C. Baize

First Post
Certainly a possibility, Dwayne.
Like I said... I also wouldn't discount him having had some black market gene jacking just on himself, rather than as a racial trait.

I really tend to feel that way, instead.

But, really... My thought is that Riddick is simply high level, and most of the others are mooks.

dwayne

Adventurer
C. Baize said:
Certainly a possibility, Dwayne.
Like I said... I also wouldn't discount him having had some black market gene jacking just on himself, rather than as a racial trait.

I really tend to feel that way, instead.

But, really... My thought is that Riddick is simply high level, and most of the others are mooks.

I also think he was just high level. Also the necrmongers now that I think about it that one did die quick when he hit him in a vital spot so I don't think there completely dead just immune to pain. As for the lens men well could be like some one said a punishment or maybe a by-product of failed conversion. Seeing as they could project concussive force maybe they were psionic and the conversion causes strange things to happen to people who are. Riddick also had a gift of a psionic power that effects all in a radius that are non furrions the other furrion also had it must be usable once a week or so. I think in the video game his eyes were also a gift. Everything else was just great shape and experience. Even a high level thief if fast enough and skilled could almost always take out a fighter of his level or higher to some degree. The soldier he killed was a well-experienced one but lower level than him and real slow.

PJ-Mason

First Post
dwayne said:
Also the necrmongers now that I think about it that one did die quick when he hit him in a vital spot so I don't think there completely dead just immune to pain.

They are a quarter dead. Apparently thats not worth that much! :)
The lord Marshall is half dead. The Quasi-dead are...well, quasi dead! :D
I can definitely accept the immunity to pain, that much i thought obvious. Walking around with a knife stuck in your back is pretty oblivious to pain! But they weren't dead dead, too many of them were near-normal mooks. The Helion Prime defenders killed a bunch of them and they were a pack of losers!

Now that i think on it some more, i think the Underverse is the Ethereal plane. The Lord Marshall was doing some ethereal type stuff, grabbing souls and the like. It is where the ghosts hang out. Plus, every ethereal based creature i've even seen has Improved Initiative! So that explains the Lord Marshall's superspeed powers!! He was just phasing in and out with a great miss chance! :cool:

High level is high level. But that just doesn't explain everything for me. Some of his badness is Furyan too.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
PJ-Mason said:
Slams
Slams apparently in three variety: Single, Double, and Triple Max.
-Butcher Bay (its a dark place is all i know!), don't remember if they said what max level.
In the game Butcher Bay had all three Maxs'.
Max was just a harsh version of OZ. ;)
Double Max was on the side of a nigh bottomless shaft.
Triple Max was just a cryogenic storage where the inmates got only a couple of hours of freedom a day. And it would have been impossible to escape from there had it not been for a certain design glitch.

Remove ads