• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Circle Magic and Artificer's

Belzbet

First Post
Artificer's arent 'really' spellcasters, and the rules may not allow them to participate in circle magic. How, as a DM, would you rule it? Would you allow artificer infusions to act as spells of the same level for purposes of circle magic? Also, I want to implement a cooperative circle magic that allows any participant to benefit from the powers of the circle (not just the leader; even though the description in FR Campaign Setting is ambiguous and it could be interpreted as letting the leader of the circle give the powers to any participant not just himself). If i implemented this type of cooperative circle magic would you allow the powers of the circle to boost the Caster Level of an Artificer for purposes of crafting (essentially allowing the crafting of items that require a much higher caster level than the artificer has achieved)?

Dozen

First Post
Artificer's arent 'really' spellcasters, and the rules may not allow them to participate in circle magic. How, as a DM, would you rule it? Would you allow artificer infusions to act as spells of the same level for purposes of circle magic? Also, I want to implement a cooperative circle magic that allows any participant to benefit from the powers of the circle (not just the leader; even though the description in FR Campaign Setting is ambiguous and it could be interpreted as letting the leader of the circle give the powers to any participant not just himself). If i implemented this type of cooperative circle magic would you allow the powers of the circle to boost the Caster Level of an Artificer for purposes of crafting (essentially allowing the crafting of items that require a much higher caster level than the artificer has achieved)?

While Circle Magic's description does explicitly state it works with Spells, Infusions are still magical, as are Mysteries, Invocations, Psionics, etcetera. I'd rule they may benefit from other kinds of magic users, though possibly with smaller bonuses, limitations, drawbacks or penalties due to various incarnations of the Weave not mixing well. Power may be an issue here, Artificers being buff as hell to start with.

On the other hand, I would not allow a circle where everyone can gain the benefits of it, at least not without sufficient background info to make it sound reasonable. If such a thing was possible and worthwhile, it would have been invented long ago by the Red Wizards - in the way they do it, anyway. So it was, and kept secret? Or is there someone independent of Thay who came up with a different approach? Finding(becoming?) the pioneer(s) or their notes could be a quest in itself. In case you rule they could always use this communist approach to sharing magic, keep in mind that it can be used against the Artificer's circle.

Last edited:

Also an Artificer is not like that. An Artificer only works on the items and make them work emulating the arcane power. But they cannot be put into something that is that "arcane" if you know what i mean. It's like said, if you ever watched Fantasia, that mickey mouse is equal to his master in terms of magic.

Dozen

First Post
Also an Artificer is not like that. An Artificer only works on the items and make them work emulating the arcane power. But they cannot be put into something that is that "arcane" if you know what i mean. It's like said, if you ever watched Fantasia, that mickey mouse is equal to his master in terms of magic.

It's a fairly common practice to allow various magic users to qualify for Spellcaster Prestige Classes regardless of their actual power source or methods. Since the OP's asking this question, he's likely using it.

Last edited:

Remove ads