• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

circlet of spellcrafting +10

alice_of_ebony

First Post
Hiya

My Wizard 6/Incantatrix 10 wants to make a Circlet of Spellcrafting +10 (competence bonus).

cost 10,000gp;
faint transmutation; CL 5th
pre-reqs: Craft Wondrous Item; arcane sight

Hello Persistent Cooperative Magic.

Would you let her? Maybe toughen up the pre-reqs?
Is there some sort of Faerunian item like this already?

Cheers
Alice

dedicated

First Post
You'd have to check the skill bonus limit, because I think that might be epic (which would be MUCH more expensive, but I don't have my books with me so I can't tell

Joker

First Post
Epic is higher than +30.

The price looks right. I don't think you actually need pre-req's for items that give a bonus to skills. Except of course the feat.

Rkhet

First Post
There's the DM's Discretion thing again. You have to look at similiar items.

SRD:

Epic Spellcaster: This magnificent adamantine rod grants its wielder a +10 insight bonus on Spellcraft checks made to cast epic spells for as long as he or she holds or carries the rod.

Caster Level: 21st; Prerequisites: Craft Rod, Craft Epic Rod; Market Price: 245,400 gp.

It grants a better bonus than Competence, admittedly, but it works ONLY for epic spells. And it's an epic item.

Goolpsy

First Post
so if i make a +6 Sword with giving a +2 bonus to strenght.. the item is epic, (the +6 makes sure of that)
Then you would move the Limit on Strenght too? cause theres only 2 strenght in an epic item??

I dont quite follow your logic.

And btw, the bonus u have in that item is Insight, we are discussing the plain and simple Skill bonus

Taren Seeker

First Post
I still see +10 competence skill bonuses in 3.5 books, such as Improved Shadow in the DMG, or 3rd Eyes in the XPH. The price and item look fine. Now if there is a reason you (or your DM) think +10 to spellcraft is more powerful in your campaign than +10 to another skill then sure, increase the price a bit. Doesn't one of the Incantrix' major abilities work off of Spellcraft?

However the fact that it is a head slot and a wizard usually wants a Headband of Intellect in that slot sounds like enough of a drawback to me ;)

Goolpsy

First Post
Found it :)

While not truly an artifact, the epic magic item is a creation of such power that it surpasses other magic items. Epic magic items are objects of great power and value. The following are typical characteristics of an epic magic item. In general, an item with even one of these characteristics is an epic magic item.

Grants a bonus on attacks or damage greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to armor higher than +5.
Has a special ability with a market price modifier greater than +5.
Grants an armor bonus of greater than +10 (not including magic armor’s enhancement bonus).
Grants a natural armor, deflection, or resistance bonus greater than +5.
Grants an enhancement bonus to an ability score greater than +6.
Grants an enhancement bonus on a skill check greater than +30.
Mimics a spell of an effective level higher than 9th.
Has a caster level above 20th.
Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items.

Rkhet

First Post
Spellcraft is a special case, especially if you allow Epic Spells, or the Incantatrix. +10 spellcraft is potentially much more powerful than, for example, +10 Hide in Shadows. Therefore it should cost more.

On the other end of the spectrum, Glibness offers +30 to bluff, for a third-level spell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads