• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City adventures for Police

dingle

First Post
I am DMing a party of 10th level characters, a Cleric, a Paladin and a Monk and an NPC wizard all very lawfull, the cleric is inspiring to a prestige class, I can't remember what it is but to put in bluntly it's a policeman "bring them back alive to be hanged".
I am running short of city ideas, I've done wererats thieves kidnappeing locals, vampires adopting children from the orphanage in disguise and the escaped criminal (who was innocent).
I would like an unusual challenging encounter with some investigation and maybe some running around for the monk (he is not the cleverest and doesn't have any investigating skills).

Gilladian

Adventurer
How about a prison break? Either they hear rumors that there's going to be one (underground contacts) or they have to arrange one, or they're hired to go inside and break up a suspected inside escape job.

Or how about a good temple that is being "shaken down" by the local mob? If they refuse to pay the mob off, then they'll be burglarized, nasty rumors of cults will be spread, and the priest will be accused of unspeakable acts? But if the PCs go after the mob too hard, then the local police will come down on them. Unfortunately, the ward captain or whoever the local cop is, is in the mob's pay...

How about a haunted house? Perhaps there was a noble family that locked away an insane family member in their attic a couple of generations back. Ever since, the family has been experiencing hauntings. Now, it seems, one particular family member (a child or teen?) is being deliberately driven insane by the thing. Can he/she be saved? Can the ghost be laid to rest? Will the family's secret shame be revealed to the world?

dingle

First Post
I like the idea the local mob putting pressure on the temple idea. They would have to be powerful to do that.
I will give it some thought
Thanks

dingle

First Post
The Campaign is based around a module "The shattered gates of Slaughtergarde". The party have now finished the module and are now based in the major city, Sumberton (pop 8000 small city) based on river trade. The city is in the center of a large valley (80x80 miles). There are two basic powers in the region, the Luminous Order (LN/LG/NG) mainly clerics, paladins, monks, and the Ebon Cabal (N/CN) mainly wizards, sorcerers and rogues. The paladin in the party is affiliated with the Luminous order. The law and order in the city is controlled from the keep which has 300 soldiers at its command, 100 based in the city. These Soldiers are National guard and under command of a captain. The city Leadership is under contol of a lord and his two sons who have taxing authority within the city.
The problem I'm having is that the characters seem to be out growing a small city.

ajanders

Explorer
Oh, that's not a problem.
That means your PC's are probably the biggest guys in the whole valley: they no longer need to go looking for adventures. People who need help will come to them.

Dragon raid? Kobolds getting uppity? Random magic tower spontaneously appears? Call your party, because they're heroes! You don't have to take the party too far out of the city, but you might let them get out to the suburbs.

I've not played the module you described, so I don't know any campaign backstory. Thoughts I have, however...

1. River pirates! The scattered bands of thugs up and down the river are rarely more than an annoyance to any competent bargeman: three guys row towards a barge in a canoe, lob a grappling hook at the rail, suck some crossbow bolts and a vial of alchemists fire, and sink.
When the Ebon Cabal begins selling them magical support and healing, they start to be a real threat to shipping.
Adventurers with a flair for investigation might find stolen goods for sale in the marketplace, then trace the goods back to the cell of the Ebon Cabal responsible for monetizing their share of the loot.
Adventurers without a flair for investigation might rig a barge up as a Q-ship, subdue some pirates, and interrogate them, following the trail the other way.

2. A protection racket for the whole town. The Ebon Cabal is threatening to cut off all the river trade using unspecified dark magic. (I like planar binding evil water elementals, myself.) The party can participate in the negotations, track down the ransom payment and try to take out the cabal or, if less thoughtful, can just kill the bound monsters.

3, Taxes! The secular government wishes to tax religious establishments. As the only legitimate and openly run religious establishments in the city are the Luminous Order, this is a de facto tax on them. The Luminous Order suggests confiscating the assets of the evil Ebon Cabal instead, and offers help in discovering and recovering those assets.

4. Sewers! The PC's have eliminated all nearby threats to the city: as a point of light, it's shining brighter than ever. More people are coming to settle in the safety of Slaughtergarde (which might want to rename itself to something a little more cheerful.)
Now the town needs a sewer. Fortunately, divinations indicate a network of caves deep under the city. The city is willing to sink a shaft to the caves, but brave adventurers are needed to go make sure the caves are empty of monsters. (Because any monsters in the caves will be unhappy once everyone starts emptying their chamber pots into their lairs.)

How are those?

dingle

First Post
Some very good ideas Ajanders. I was thinking of Marching most of the luminous order off to fight a distant battle so this would destablize the region and also give Eban Cabal reason to stretch there wings. This would let the way open with a few of your ideas, starting with the River Pirates, I think.
Thanks

ajanders

Explorer
War inevitably creates its own social dislocations: you might get smuggling, black marketeering, and press gangs roaming the streets.
Refugees, widows, and orphans are easy marks for all manner of unscrupulous folk.
Fake (or real) spiritualists/necromancers become popular...well, tolerated...as people suddenly have a need to say goodbye to some unexpectedly dead relatives.
Don't forget fifth columns and peace movements: maybe they're the same thing, maybe not.

dingle

First Post
Hmm, I was thinking of the war just to get rid of the luminous order, but you've got another good twist there. I like the idea about fifth columns, and the peace movement could create some good role playing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads