• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City building

Bolcien

First Post
Ok. I'm a new GM... very new to tabletop as well. my group and I have decided to use Falcon's Hollow as a Base of operations while we explore and create the world around us.

my question is how do we grow Falcon's Hollow from a small backwater town to something that will meet almost all our needs in a more realistic manor?

Crothian

First Post
Are the PCs in control of the town? Can they influence people to come in and invest and build up the place to becoem a city of their needs? Is it actually in a location that could allow this or is it doomed to be some small thorp by its location?

There are rules in the Kingmaker AP that allow for the rulers of a city to build it. But I'm going to pretend those are reaslistic.

Bolcien

First Post
we're just lvl 3s right now

I control a wizard and cleric

the other PCs are: 2 psionics, a fighter, and supposedly getting a druid and one other unknown at this time.

No we are not in control. but after the first two adventures I'd say we'd be in good standing with the town. clearing out kobolds and rescuing children.
as for bringing people in I'm sure we could do such.

Crothian

First Post
Talk to the DM and see if he has ideas that the characters could know or think of that the players might not since you are immersered in the world. Making the town safe is the first thing to do. Next, make contacts within the city and find out who the merchants are. If the city has something unique it can offer that will attract money. If the Pcs can become famous other places they can promote Falcon's Hollow and brag how they choose it to be their home.

Bolcien

First Post
Talk to the DM...
I am the DM.

and see if he has ideas that the characters could know or think of that the players might not since you are immersered in the world.
I'm not sure what to do... hence my asking for some Ideas that might help me guide Falcons hollow get on the map.

Making the town safe is the first thing to do. Next, make contacts within the city and find out who the merchants are. If the city has something unique it can offer that will attract money. If the Pcs can become famous other places they can promote Falcon's Hollow and brag how they choose it to be their home.
And here's the ideas I've been wanting to hear. ;) and other ideas to help get the juices flowing and story running will be appreciated with your name being an NPC in our growing town/city.

Dingo333

First Post
what Crothian suggested is an economic way to expand the city/town, somewhat peaceful

Another way. The PC take the money they get from adventuring, and open a temple, a school, a guild, etc. and try to put the town on the map as a center of learning.

Third way, someone becomes a war leader and sets out to create an empire. very combative and aggresive way to put it on the map, but if you get to the point where your empire really threatens local governments then they will put you on their maps

Also, nothing says you can do only 1 of the 3 options. All are possible and workable.

Falcon's Hollow, if it's based in the Inner Sea in your campaign, is run by The Lumber Consortium. The Consortium is a company which has a monopoly on the hardwood and darkwood lumber industry in the country of Andoran. In Falcon's Hollow, with few exceptions, the buildings and their inhabitants belong to the Consortium and totally depend on the overpriced goods delivered by the organization.

Now obviously breaking the Consortium's hold on the lumber industry in Falcon's Hollow would be an interesting campaign. If you are looking for info on the village, this would be a good place to start:

Falcon's Hollow - PathfinderWiki

jefgorbach

First Post
Skimming the PathfinderWiki entry shows Falcon’s Hollow is a long-established frontier logging community owned/operated by the Andorian Logging Consortium implying its already relatively secure against local predators/etc making it “a place for the desperate with no other place to go, for outcasts and religious zealots seeking to avoid hindrances brought on by their surroundings.”.

Your PC’s intent to improve the citizen’s general living conditions is admirable, providing numerous side-plots either gaining Thuldrin Kreed’s unlikely support for their endeavors or overcoming his opposition since he’s essentially the Boss Hogg to your Duke Boys.

Presumably a lengthy stay in the community or Gather Info/etc checks would reveal “both Magistrate Vamros Harg and Sheriff Deldrin Baleson would like to see Kreed removed from his position of authority” implying Kreed/Consortium only provide them with minimal resources necessary to maintain the local peace – donating better equipment scavenged during adventures should cement in-town alliances.

Likewise, “Lady Cirthana sees little support from the inhabitants of Falcon's Hollow, and her Temple and actions have been openly denounced by the Lumber Consortium. Despite this, she does what she can to serve those few who turn to Iomedae for guidance in life.”
The wiki doesn’t detail her, but the above quote implies she’s a low-level cleric ignored by her hierarchy so desperately needing anything the PC’s could supply. Consequently a variant of the sample burning-hands trap ($500;40xp) triggering cure light wounds would greatly improve community support both for the Temple and themselves. Similarly, a table enchanted bestowing Iomedae’s bounty upon the faithful via Create Food & Water should increase her congregation’s size while cutting into Kreed’s finances somewhat by providing the faithful an alternative to his over-priced inns.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads