• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City Feats - A City Character Sheet in Four Stats

Grail Quest

First Post
LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON...

"City Feats: A City Character Sheet in Four Stats"
Presented here is a system for quickly describing a city with just four stats—Population (P), Leadership (L), Happiness (H), Unrest(U). These are meant to give an immediate feel for the city. Added to these stats are a list of Features which make up a city’s distinguishing traits. When PCs visit, they can expect to encounter these Features, whether good, neutral, or bad.

The rest of my experimental system is too large to post here. To view it, please go to www.freewebs.com/d20elements for the file, and post your comments here!

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Hmm -
what are the values of happieness and unrest ? leadership is defined but the other two are not.

I like the list of features, If it were expanded to 100 it would make randomization easier. Ive stolen it for later study.
I would add famine, disease, mysterious deaths, earthquakes, weather problems - hurricanes, floods etc. and public entertainments such as the hanging of a wanted criminal or a illusionists regualr light show.

Can bards influence the populances feelings - with rumors, stories etc?
perhaps a guidline comparing level to city size - factoring in compeating bards.

Anyway Nice Job, I may double check some old sources to see if there is anything you missed. Your list is seems better than several published in dragon magazine over the years, but I am still uncertain about the mechanics.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm quite impressed that you have the dedication toward the completion of a project [D20 Elements]. My energy tanks are running low so I do not have the capability to judge it right now. However, through skimming it over, I can say that it looks very promising. Does City Feats: A City Character Sheet in Four Stats require the use of D20 Elements? Also I'd like to know if you had any inspiration from Red Leaf Games D(liberation) 20 system?

Grail Quest

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Hmm -
what are the values of happieness and unrest ? leadership is defined but the other two are not.

Happiness and Unrest are solely determined by Features. You decide what features you want in the city (if any), then sum up the modifiers.

Also, the definition of Leadership is, for now, experimental. It assumes that most leaders aren't level 10+ whatevers, but are typically level 3 non-adventurers.

Evilhalfling said:
I would add famine, disease, mysterious deaths, earthquakes, weather problems - hurricanes, floods etc. and public entertainments such as the hanging of a wanted criminal or a illusionists regualr light show.

Disasters are typically temporary conditions. You could certainly have temporary modifiers.

Regarding entertainments... The larger the city, the more widespread the event needs to be. For example, public hangings (or simply capital punishment) need to be the norm. After that, you decide how the people view it. Unrest because the law is corrupt? Unrest because law is enforced by fear? Neutral?

Evilhalfling said:
Can bards influence the populances feelings - with rumors, stories etc?
perhaps a guidline comparing level to city size - factoring in compeating bards.

Interesting idea... I'll have to think about it. It could be a temporary modifier called "Agitator" or "Dissidents" or something like that, depending on what the bard is up to.

Evilhalfling said:
Anyway Nice Job, I may double check some old sources to see if there is anything you missed. Your list is seems better than several published in dragon magazine over the years, but I am still uncertain about the mechanics.

Thanks!

Grail Quest

First Post
Frukathka said:
Does City Feats: A City Character Sheet in Four Stats require the use of D20 Elements? Also I'd like to know if you had any inspiration from Red Leaf Games D(liberation) 20 system?

Thank you for your kind comments!

City Feats is entirely stand-alone.
Actually, D20 Elements is somewhat standalone as well. It's possible to lift sections you like out to integrate into your gaming. It's more a set of house rules that anything.

As for Red Leaf Games... sorry, never heard of them. I'm in Canada, and my local bookstores don't carry the full gamut of D20 System stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads