CITY OF BRASS: A New RPG Electronic Tool Suite Is Glimpsed On The Horizon!

With Trapdoor Tech and Lone Wolf cautiously circling each other with their Codename: Morningstar and Herolab/Realmworks applications respectively, another player has been quietly prepping something in the background. The City of Brass, billing itself as "the next generation of gaming apps" is working on "a fully-featured app specifically designed to manage the mechanics of pen-and-paper games while allowing you to focus on what matters".

With Trapdoor Tech and Lone Wolf cautiously circling each other with their Codename: Morningstar and Herolab/Realmworks applications respectively, another player has been quietly prepping something in the background. The City of Brass, billing itself as "the next generation of gaming apps" is working on "a fully-featured app specifically designed to manage the mechanics of pen-and-paper games while allowing you to focus on what matters".

The application, which will have public betas in early 2015, and hopefully full production midyear, has been privately in use by the developers for months for both D&D 5E and for N.E.W. The Roleplaying Game (the inclusion of the latter attracted my interest for obvious reasons, but the app is designed for multiple systems). It features a world builder, a character (and monster) builder, a story builder for creating adventures, and a campaign manager. Plus a whole bunch of stock art you can use in your creations. Lucas of City of Brass shared some screenshots with me, below.

It's an interesting time, to be sure. It seems that this particular application is pretty much built already, and is is heavy playtesting mode right now. It does look like the forefront of electronic aids development is proving to be a highly competitive area in terms of functionality and cost, and that can only be good for us potential customers!

B5ysp0oCYAAmm1F.png

Here's a D&D 5E character. This is the overview stuff.

B5ys1HECQAIoabL.png

And here's the actual character sheet.

B5yodE6CMAEtSpR.png

Hoard of the Dragon Queen (D&D 5E) in the Campaign Manager.

B5youBsCcAI0dkc.png

Recaps from the Campaign Manager.

B5yontQCIAIiF1S.png

The character page. All the sheets can be viewed by the GM.

B5ygMHNCUAAzZJU.png

A preview of the City of Brass character sheet. This is Jack, a PC from a What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. playtest.

B5ykMA9CMAEO-AM.png

The tab with Jack's exploits. All the gold numbers are interactive. If you click them, they roll dice.

B5yxNxZCAAAUlDV.png

The Story Builder. This is the splash screen for an adventure.

B5yxfMwCMAEjnJU.png

An encounter in the Story Builder.

B5pJjXiCMAEq5Gc.png

A peek at the World Builder pages. Crisp, clean, easy to navigate and simple to create and manage.

B5eyxBFCAAAvk1p.png

A quick glimpse of the FAQ pages which gives some hints as the licensing and pricing.

turkeygiant

First Post
Haha that FAQ is pretty clearly influenced by the questions people have been asking of Trapdoor, which is a good thing, shows a little more awareness on their part.

I'll be interested to see how the customization of character sheets and monster stat blocks works, If they are developing a truly open/generic system that's easy to use, they will probably do quite well. Certainly something to keep our eyes on!

BluSponge

Explorer
Hmmm...I'd need more info on how all these parts work together to know what sets this apart from a standard Evernote notebook. It looks clean and pretty, but this preview doesn't say much about its functionality.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Haha that FAQ is pretty clearly influenced by the questions people have been asking of Trapdoor, which is a good thing, shows a little more awareness on their part.

I'll be interested to see how the customization of character sheets and monster stat blocks works, If they are developing a truly open/generic system that's easy to use, they will probably do quite well. Certainly something to keep our eyes on!

Yea and that note about downloading an App, makes me think this is all net. It may have an app interface but would not be surprised to see this as an on-line application that just need a bowser to access.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Well, from the sounds of things (reading their FAQ), I'm almost positive it is a "give us money every month" product. I don't think there is any "offline" version. Deal breaker as far as me and my group are concerned. I'd much rather pay $75 (just pulling a figure out of thin air here) for CoB v1, and be able to use it for as long as I like. Then, when v2 comes out and they want to charge $40 to upgrade, I'd pay another $40 if it was worth it. At least I could use the program anywhere I wanted, and if the company got sold or went bankrupt...I still have a fully working program; paying monthly? Don't count on it. In that case you may have spent hundreds of dollars and put hundreds of hours into your game...and one day you can't log in, only to find out "Oh, sorry, we quit doing that and sold out to Company XYZ...go talk to them".

So....it looks interesting, clean, adaptable and easy to use during a game...but if it requires me to be online or only stores my info in their "cloud", forget it.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hiya!

Well, from the sounds of things (reading their FAQ), I'm almost positive it is a "give us money every month" product. I don't think there is any "offline" version. Deal breaker as far as me and my group are concerned. I'd much rather pay $75 (just pulling a figure out of thin air here) for CoB v1, and be able to use it for as long as I like. Then, when v2 comes out and they want to charge $40 to upgrade, I'd pay another $40 if it was worth it. At least I could use the program anywhere I wanted, and if the company got sold or went bankrupt...I still have a fully working program; paying monthly? Don't count on it. In that case you may have spent hundreds of dollars and put hundreds of hours into your game...and one day you can't log in, only to find out "Oh, sorry, we quit doing that and sold out to Company XYZ...go talk to them".

So....it looks interesting, clean, adaptable and easy to use during a game...but if it requires me to be online or only stores my info in their "cloud", forget it.

You've read their FAQ? Where are you getting this information from?

Remove ads

Remove ads