City of Heroes - opinions?

fba827

Adventurer
Yes, I know, City of Heroes is a game that has been around a while now.
But, since it seems I can't seem to find a D&D group, I am looking for a backup entertainment distraction.

So I was considering CoH and had a couple quick questions for those that have experience with it:

1) It seems to have enough content to keep me entertained for at least a few months -- does it *feel* too repetitive after a while? emphasis on the word feel - I realize there is only so much that can be done but is there enough variety in the way those things are done that it doesn't _feel_ like I am doing nothing but f1 hold, tab, f2 attack. repeat for next minion. ?

2) Is there stuff for me to do alone , or is everything friend/guild/group based? Because sometimes I just like to kill stuff alone and test out skills and combos...

3) Does the control interface simple? I'm not the most coordinated person, though I can get used to things with time.

4) Is the community online seem mature enough? Or is there a general chat that is spammed with fart jokes and name calling the whole time?

5) I would be playing this on above-minumum requiremed specs but just shy of recommended computer specs, by putting down graphic settings, etc, do you think I'll be alright? or will I just be plagued by lag?

6) I know the game has been out a while, so does the community seem dieing? As in, if I log in, will I have much trouble finding other people to group with, or is the server a ghost zone half the time?

7) Any other random thoughts, good or bad, about your experience that a newbi consider it should know?

If I pick it up, I believe there is a free trial subscription so I'll obviously get to test the waters somewhat. Just trying to figure if it's even worth the time to get it, install, etc. :)

I may think of other questions, but that is all I had at the moment.

And, yes, I realize everyone's experiences and opinions will be different. So I'm not trying to say everyone's thoughts will be the same. Just trying to see if there are some common recurring thoughts/feelings on it.

Felon

First Post
1) City of Heroes (and, since there's no reason to have one without the other, City of Villains) should manage to keep you entertained for a few months at least. You have five hero classes and five villain classes, and within each class there's at least five primary powersets and a similar number of secondary powersets. Throw in class-independent "pool" powers and you've got a lot of character options to explore. Heck, you could spend countless hours just in the costume design interface. I have!

2) The best thing I can say about CoH is that it's the most solo-friendly MMORPG I've ever played. You can complete missions by yourself, no worries there. Of course, things go a lot faster with a good team of three or four players.

3) There's no twitch element. Hit the TAB key to select a target, and start hitting hotkeys to queue up attacks.

4) The CoH crowd is pretty mature. Personally, I attribute this to the fact that there's never been a big "loot" element in the game, because loot engenders a lot of the selfishness that we see in MMO's. In CoH, you don't have a lot of spats over farming spawns or spamming about uber weapons and armor for sale.

5) No way of knowing.

6) The community issue is a tricky thing. There are places where lots of characters hang out (although the attempt at nightclubs was a dismal failure), but I can't say I see a lot of large-scale organized team activity anymore. Maybe that's just me.

7) A few things to bear in mind:

First, there is no real interaction with the environment. No picking up cars or whomping foes with lampposts. No blasting foes through walls.

Second, the "city" theme is played out a little too literally. You spend a lot of time doing missions in abandoned warehouses, dungeon-like sewers, and drab cubicle farms--and there's not much variety to be had in any of those locales, to be honest. You don't get a lot of chances to go battle in exotic locales like alien battleships or surrealistic dimensions.

Third, the team that worked on City of Heroes is now developing Champions Online, a game which will address the aforementioned deficiencies. Keep an eye out for it sometime in the next year or so.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Were you looking for superheroes? Or just any MMO?

I'm a big Guild Wars fan, but I won't derail your thread unless you ask :)

I know a few CoH players, I'll see if I can't direct them here.

fba827

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback.

Felon: I am aware of Champions online and actually was using CoH more as an acid test to see if I might be interested in Champions when it comes out... this basically means that when it's time for my next computer upgrade, if I should keep the computer requirements for Champions in mind or not... But, yeah, I'm pretty much convinced myself I will try it out... I'm looking for a minimum couple months casual entertainment since I can't get a D&D group, so this may fit the bill nicely

Bront: Well I am looking for an MMO so that I have some people interaction (even if cyber) as opposed to single player alone type game. And I was gearing towards CoH because I wanted to see if it held my interest to make me interested in Champions Online (released end of this year I think) or not... plus, fantasy I can get my fix just by reading the D&D books but superheroes does have a different feel :) I'm not totally against considering other MMOs, but I do know I can't do anything _too_ current until my PC upgrade scheduled for end of this year.

Again, thanks for the feedback. If anyone else has any random goods/bads they want to add, feel free to do so.

The Eternal GM

First Post
While I dwell on the Euro servers, I have played CoH since beta (on and off, with breaks to play other MMO's) and keep coming back to it...

I've got to say that since the original creators left to go work on Marvel/Champions the game has improved immensely, and I know NCsoft are planning a new 'recruitment' attempt with a quick-start DVD at a low price shortly to help boost numbers (it's listed on Amazon or Play if I recall). But even then, I've never seen the game be quiet enough to trouble me getting teamed.

Other things I'd suggest as worthy of consideration:

#1 - Top End Content: Yeah, there basically isn't any! While WoW is ALL top end 50-70 stuff, CoX thrives from 20-50, but once you hit 50 there's only a few strike forces and special fights (admittedly, I love taking on the crashed alien mothership... But it's a rare highlight).

#2 - Hero or Villain?: Personally I find villains to be more interesting to play system-wise. The islands they play on mostly are also better laid out than the hero city is. However, it's smaller too, and all kinda gloomy where the hero city if bright.

#3 - Community: Supergroups are your road into the community. Join one, any of them, just to get help and advice. With nothing to really grind for at the top, I've always found high level players are really generous to newbies needing help, resources or the like. Far, far moreso than any other MMO. This might be different in the U.S though.

#4 - Complexity: I don't think the game is as easy to get into as WoW. The early levels are okay, but getting used to the very customizable HUD, options and such isn't all that easy. The friends I brought into the game usually took a couple of weeks to totally get the hang of everything.

#5 - Tech Specs: It'll run fine as long as you meet the minimum specs. Just don't get overambitious with the sliders on world detail and you'll be fine.

#6 - Low Levels: Frankly, they suck. Get to level 14-15 as soon as you can. Movement powers are still one of CoX's big SELLS, but you can't zoom around with superspeed, bound like a hyperactive gummy bear with superjump or fly (properly) until 14. Again, CoV is better than CoH as the maps are better and deadly zones of crims less frequent in the first couple of islands.

#7 - Repetition: Lots, yes, 'fraid so. The interesting levels and foes don't crop up early on really... So it is warehouses and gangs initially. There are some wonderful zones, missions, bosses and such... Just sometimes they seem too rare.

#8 - Mayhem Missions: So as to not end on a down note about my favourite MMO, I'll mention the mayhem missions (and whatever the less fun hero versions are) where you get a bunch of villains together and go rob one of the big banks in the hero's city. It's pretty crazy fun as you can destroy all cars, dumpsters, hydrants as you go, racing the clock to wreck the place, steal the loot and beat the heroes sent to stop you. The heroe's get it the other way around (safeguard missions?) but that's just not as fun.

Hope that helps.

Shayuri

First Post
I'd like to toss in a couple of things.

Eternal GM's assessment is pretty good, though I will say that I really like Safeguard missions. :) Basically, you stop a bank robbery in progress, then take on bands of villains on a time limit. If you take out the right bosses, you get clues to other major heists going on, thwarting them gives you bonus time. You can, in theory, chain together a lot of events from a single mission, if you act fast enough! There's no penalty for missing stuff...you just don't get as much exp for defeating the villains.

One great thing about Safeguard missions, and that REALLY helps the early levels, is that you get a temp power from saving the bank. This is most commonly either a jet pack or a gravity defying "jump pack." They simulate the high end travel powers, and last for plenty long enough to get to level 14 yourself. The only diff between them and ordinary travel powers is that you can get them quite early (depending on when you take your Safeguard missions...they scale to whatever level you are), and you can't enhance them with anything.

In practice, this makes the early levels so much less tedious, and really helps the game along.

Dire Lemming

First Post
I got in on this game at launch and it was pretty good. I'm not sure how it is now since like all action-MMORPGs I've gotten bored with it regularly and stopped playing for a while. I got City of Villains a while after it came out and started playing again for a while. It can be tons and tons of fun though. Especially now with ragdoll animations when you beat enemies. The character classes are allot more fun than WoW. Especially the Mastermind class for villains who uses minions to do their dirty work and concentrates their powers on support and and summoning. The animations are very nice too. They're always adding new features, like they didn't have Safeguard missions when I last played for instance. If you can afford an MMORPG and don't like the deep stuff like EVE or how UO and SWG used to be then CoH/V is quite good. You can even build HQs if you have a super hero/vallain group.

Isn't Champions going to be a console game?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
fba827 said:
1) It seems to have enough content to keep me entertained for at least a few months -- does it *feel* too repetitive after a while? emphasis on the word feel - I realize there is only so much that can be done but is there enough variety in the way those things are done that it doesn't _feel_ like I am doing nothing but f1 hold, tab, f2 attack. repeat for next minion. ?
Yes. To me, it's about as thin as a below-average console game. This would be fine if there wasn't a subscription fee, but there is. (And all the folks who are going to jump on me about all the wonderful content patches: They're still thin as can be. More of the same, in new zones.)

2) Is there stuff for me to do alone , or is everything friend/guild/group based? Because sometimes I just like to kill stuff alone and test out skills and combos...
It's a very soloable game, much of the time.

3) Does the control interface simple? I'm not the most coordinated person, though I can get used to things with time.
It's not bad at all. Easier than most MMOs, a little harder than some of the newest ones.

4) Is the community online seem mature enough? Or is there a general chat that is spammed with fart jokes and name calling the whole time?
Turn off channels, IMO. I find them painful. Also expect to get spammed with invites to join supergroups (guilds) and teams (groups) all the time.

5) I would be playing this on above-minumum requiremed specs but just shy of recommended computer specs, by putting down graphic settings, etc, do you think I'll be alright? or will I just be plagued by lag?
You'll be fine.

6) I know the game has been out a while, so does the community seem dieing? As in, if I log in, will I have much trouble finding other people to group with, or is the server a ghost zone half the time?
Not dying, necessarily, but stagnant at best. It's telling that they've never added a single new server after the first week CoH (not even CoV) was released. And they periodically have "come back and play for free" grovel weekends to get people back again. (The latest was Memorial Day weekend.)

7) Any other random thoughts, good or bad, about your experience that a newbi consider it should know?
You'll probably only want one flying character. It's cool as hell the first time, especially once you get beyond Hover to REAL flying, but after that, pretty much every other movement power is superior.

I think CoX will be remembered as the superhero game that came right before the really awesome superhero game. This one, for whatever reason, is wedded to a lot of EQ1-isms (there are superheroes that heal, superheroes whose powers are concerned with locking down enemies, and hit points are a big part of a game, despite being very out of genre) and, despite the protestations of the creators, they don't really come off like superhero fans, having chosen not to have most superhero comics tropes represented in the game, but rather just sticking a several years old version of EQ1 in Spandex.

That said, it's the best superhero MMO around today and it certainly does get a few things very right, such as the visceral thrill of a striker/stalker type (think Batman) jumping down out of the rafters into a warehouse full of thugs and laying down some major smack. If that's the kind of stuff you love in comics, CoX will keep you happy for at least a while.

I honestly love superhero comics more than I do fantasy stuff, but CoX has been unable to retain my attention compared to how long I played EQ1 or, now, WoW, both of which are vastly better at modeling their chosen genres and both of which have tons more depth.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Yes. To me, it's about as thin as a below-average console game. This would be fine if there wasn't a subscription fee, but there is. (And all the folks who are going to jump on me about all the wonderful content patches: They're still thin as can be. More of the same, in new zones.)
Actually, I rather LIKE the relative "thinness" of COH. But then I don't play MMO's to zip up to the max level and then spend my online time doing the same raids over and over and over. For example, I've tried repeatedly to get into WoW but all the complexity and subtlety needed to substantially develop characters beyond, say, 20th level is lost on me. But that's ME. I don't expect everyone to be like me.

It's a very soloable game, much of the time.
Very. But I find it's much more fun with just pick-up groups running a few missions.

Turn off channels, IMO. I find them painful. Also expect to get spammed with invites to join supergroups (guilds) and teams (groups) all the time.
Well as mentioned the players are relatively mature. There isn't a lot you can do to grief other players. The most recent content update also made it easier than ever to ignore and report obnoxious chat and spammers - and IME offenders are rapidly removed. Most chat that you're going to pay attention to will be Local and particularly your Team channel. Even when servers are busy I find chat in COH much easier to deal with than in WoW. In that regard it helps that there ARE greatly fewer people on a given server in COH.

Supergroup and team invites can be set to be ignored which ends that problem entirely, but IME they are NOT frequent enough to be an irritation. Most supergroup recruiters are smart and courteous enough to simply send a message to the Broadcast channel every few minutes. If they spam Broadcast too frequently they WILL be shouted down by everyone in short order if not reported. Either way it's an infrequent problem that rapidly gets solved.

There is also a "Search" feature listing every player character currently in a zone/server to aid in assembling groups and you can set your characters desired type of teaming (any mission, task forces, NONE, etc) as well as add a short bit of text that is frequently used to state that you prefer to be ASKED before being invited to team. IME this further reduces what might otherwise be constant, random invites.

Different servers DO have slightly different communities. The two most heavily populated servers IME tend to have slightly more problems with player behavior.

My own perception is that the server population levels are fairly steady at this point (though I stick to just one for various reasons). The number of people playing goes up whenever a new issue comes out and then drops back down over week or two to the same base levels. Prior to max levels, if you are willing to LEAD a team - put it together and then recruit new people as others leave - you'll do better than if you plan to just sit around waiting for an invitation. I couldn't really tell you about the late/end game as I get enough enjoyment out of characters in the 1-30 (out of 50) level range. My impression is that at 50 you'll either start a new character or be playing silly buggers with your supergroup (assuming that you have joined one the very few top groups as the vast bulk of supergroups have WAY too few active toons.)

I think CoX will be remembered as the superhero game that came right before the really awesome superhero game.
Well as enjoyable as I personally find it, I also think they ARE missing a LOT of tricks. Personally I think they really ought to consider a COH-2 but that brings up questions about profitability in trying to draw off members from the existing game (especially since management and update of the game has been sold off - and I think the forthcoming Champions MMORPG has the potential to kill it in any case depending on its execution.)

I honestly love superhero comics more than I do fantasy stuff, but CoX has been unable to retain my attention compared to how long I played EQ1 or, now, WoW, both of which are vastly better at modeling their chosen genres and both of which have tons more depth.
On the other hand, for me COH has been the one MMORPG I've played the longest and to the greatest depth (albeit still not to its fullest potential, so to speak) and I love fantasy stuff MUCH more than superheroes.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Man in the Funny Hat said:
Actually, I rather LIKE the relative "thinness" of COH. But then I don't play MMO's to zip up to the max level and then spend my online time doing the same raids over and over and over.
Lucky you, you get to experience that almost immediately in CoX. :p

Remove ads