• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bront

The man with the probe
Ironwolf said:
"Thank you, my wise friend, I will be guided by your portent. Truth to tell, I've worked for that merchant before, and while it was no fault of his, it didn't work out as well as I would've liked. I'll try my luck with another job."
"Aye, the pay doesn't seem like all too much, even for such a simple voyage." Vanitri says. "I'm sure something good will be along eventualy."
Michael said:
The stone in Michael's hand jumps. Apparently he is not, after all, ready for her.
"Vanitri? Tell me about Mongrel?"
"The wandering soul? Founder of the Freefolk? Twas a great man, from what I hear, or perhaps a god. I did what came to him, and followed to where his heart lead him. While perhaps the ultimate loner, he knew of the need and compassion for others, and was hospitable and welcoming to those in need. It is said the freefolk live by his way, perhaps in his shadow, forming their family from those who wander. The bond of the life can be thicker than blood to those of the folk."

ajanders

Explorer
Bront said:
"Aye, the pay doesn't seem like all too much, even for such a simple voyage." Vanitri says. "I'm sure something good will be along eventualy."
"If nothing else, I may have to send some goods back home."
Michael grins and continues to rub the stone between his fingers.
"And as my way does not go there, I may have to hire some adventurers to take it there."
The stone rasps against his palms.
"I suppose to be traditional, I should wait for a stormy night, then come in in a dark hooded cloak and sit in a shadowy corner -- or do you think that's too much?"

"The wandering soul? Founder of the Freefolk? Twas a great man, from what I hear, or perhaps a god. I did what came to him, and followed to where his heart lead him. While perhaps the ultimate loner, he knew of the need and compassion for others, and was hospitable and welcoming to those in need. It is said the freefolk live by his way, perhaps in his shadow, forming their family from those who wander. The bond of the life can be thicker than blood to those of the folk."[/QUOTE]

"A hospitable ultimate loner?"
Michael's lip twitches in a smile.
"Hummm."
Michael's thumb traces a figure-eight over the stone as he sips his tea.
"Humm. Hummmmmm. Hummmmmmmmmm."
Michael continues to trace figure-eights over the stone as he sips his tea. As he finishes each figure-eight, he turns the stone in his hand slightly. After three hundred and sixty rotations, the stone has come full circle and abruptly stops in his hand.
Michael cracks his knuckles, examines the stone for a moment, then begins to trace figure eights on the stone again. This time he turns it the opposite direction.

Bront

The man with the probe
Michael said:
"A hospitable ultimate loner?"
"Well, I don't know what else you'd call the man who wandered the world alone, yet led the freefolks to freedom. The Rules of Salvage and the Rules of Hospitality are unique expressions of Mongral's paridoxal existance."

ajanders

Explorer
Annnnd?

Michael raises his eyebrows at the mention of rules.
"Rules? I thought the Free Folk lived away from rules. It was what made them...well...free."

Bront

The man with the probe
"Just the basic rules. The rules that anything left is fair salvage, and always open your hospitality to another." Vanitri says. "Tis the rules that Mongrel lived by, as so they are ours."

Vanitri chuckles. "Can't live entirely without rules. You think we're savages?"

ajanders

Explorer
Bront said:
"Just the basic rules. The rules that anything left is fair salvage, and always open your hospitality to another." Vanitri says. "Tis the rules that Mongrel lived by, as so they are ours."

Vanitri chuckles. "Can't live entirely without rules. You think we're savages?"

"Let's just say that if the bards of Easterling ever start their stories with 'A cleric of Sela and two Freefolk walk into a gladiatorial arena' nobody would expect them to be on the same side."
Michael shrugs.
"Heck, I'm surprised myself."
He raises a placating hand -- the one with the rock.
"Not unhappy. Just -- surprised."
He glances at the door.
"I could have sworn Ros was not too far behind me..."

Bront

The man with the probe
"If ya think that then you don't realy understand the Freefolk," Vanitri says. "You won't one much loyaler, nor more acceptin', than a Freefolk. And just because we're all Mongrel's children doesn't mean we all worship him. I'm sure I've seen a few symbols of Sela around a caravan or two."

Vanitri chuckles. "She's prolly shoppin'. You know how women folk are."

Patlin

Explorer
Ironwolf Kinkaid, Human Psychic Warrior 2

Bront said:
"The Rules of Salvage and the Rules of Hospitality are unique expressions of Mongral's paridoxal existance."

"What are these rules, Vanitri?"

gogo_jerrick

First Post
Prigruck Feng, Barbarian1

A tall grungy orc walks into the inn, wearing worn splint mail and lugging around a shield tall enough for even this large thing to stand behind. After looking over everyone, he stands tall and says in a rash deep voice, "Prig no fear you! Where is battle? Need to spill blood for god!" He walks up to Joe, standing tall, and when seeing that Joe won't back down, Prig says, "Me like you! Me buy drink from you and wait for weak men with deep pockets!"

Jennileerose

First Post
Rosaylnn Sinnodel Bard/Gypsy 2

Bront said:
"If ya think that then you don't realy understand the Freefolk," Vanitri says. "You won't one much loyaler, nor more acceptin', than a Freefolk. And just because we're all Mongrel's children doesn't mean we all worship him. I'm sure I've seen a few symbols of Sela around a caravan or two."

Vanitri chuckles. "She's prolly shoppin'. You know how women folk are."

On that line, Ros walks in with a few new items and a few less ones. She walks up to Vanitri and swats him lightly in the back of the head. "Oh so you think you know us 'women folk' eh big brother?"

She walks around Michael and gives him a peck on the cheek before sitting down next to him. "Sorry about that Michael. I should have said something, but I saw a pretty shiny chain shirt and wanted to buy it. I figure it will come in handy on the next adventure. You will be coming along won't you?" She asks, tilting her head and looking at him sweetly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads