City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn X

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist

Cludge leans in towards Saithnar.
No kiddin', eh? You can read other people's minds? AMAZIN'! Well, now I just heard everythin'. Can ya tell what I'm thinkin' right now? By the Enworphant's Toes, this is a strange and wunnerful thing, this hangin' about in cities. I shoulda done it sooner. He narrows his eyes and concentrates obviously on his empty beer mug.

OOC: Is there a forum link we can post to to see when we might get a DM in here? Anybody know?

Rathan

First Post
Rathan would nod to Saithnar and try to keep as silent as he could with the others talking.. he wished not to confuse nor hurt Saithnar in any way... it just wasn'tin him to cause such needless hurt in most situations.... he would pull up his seat once more next to his friend and smile to the rest of his aquitances he'd just met this day..... it was an odd bunch.... two dwarves... two humans... and whatever his friend has become.. certainly he was no longer human yet he still retained his humanoid stature... if someone did offer them a job it was certainly a motley crew for sure....

[sblock=AGFlyn] as far as I know it's just a matter of waiting here untill someone comes in with an adwhenshire!.... not sure there's any other option than that my friend... heh[/sblock]

Phoenix8008

First Post
[sblock=OOC: ]As Rathan said, there is no option but to wait and to pass the time roleplaying. Sometimes it's a short wait, sometimes it's a long wait. All we can do is wait and hope. And hope that when a job comes it has enough room for all the characters that have become friends during the wait...[/sblock]

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist

Cludge beams around the table at his newfound friends. It was a welcome change from the solitude of his barren mining camp in the mountains.
Weeeeeell, no sense in sittin' around here just gawpin' at each other, he says.
WHO WANTS TA ARM WRESTLE?
A hairy elbow thumps down on the table.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rasereit Vundinn, Dwarven Barbarian

Rasereit laughs loudly and slams his arm down on the table. "Ye must be jokin', a greenback like you beatin' a vet like me? Ye're on, mate!" Rasereit grins as Cludge eyes his opponent's gauntlets. "Bah, ye think Ah need these t'take ye on? Think again!" Rasereit slides his gauntlets off and sighs as his muscle mass decreases noticeably. Placing the gauntlets to the side, Rasereit squares his bum on the stool and stares into Cludge's eyes. "Care to put a few Shields on it, mate?" Rasereit asks, a greedy glint sparkling in his eyes.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=Arm Wrestling Rules]I've done some internet searching for arm wrestling rules. I don't like just "Both roll 1d20+STR mod and see who wins", because it's to easy for luck to just win out. My favorite that I've found (actually, the only that I've found that I like) is the "In a Row" opposed check rule. The idea is that in an opposed check (like this arm wrestling contest, which is STR vs. STR) you assign it a variable N, which is the number of consecutive victorious results either opponent needs to defeat the other completely. This determines how much the contest is based on luck and how much is based on just core stats. The higher N is, the less luck is involved. But there's always luck involved. I like this rule especially because it allows for turning of the tide in a single contest, and adds some suspense to the outcome.

I think for an arm wrestling contest N should be 3, so one opponent must make three successful opposed STR checks in a row to be considered victorious.

In a marathon, N might be 5, and in a dart throwing contest, N might be 2 or even 1.

I say all this without looking at Cludge's strength. I'd like to be surprised by the outcome.

I'm also open to having some "banter bonuses", sort of like The Secret of Monkey Island (tm), when Guybrush duels the pirates and they trade insults. Maybe a successful charisma check gives a +2 bonus to one roll, and the right to say something witty and scathing.

I go into such detail because we may be in here for a while. =D Let's just have fun and Game on![/sblock]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
[sblock=More Arm Wrestling Rules]Alright, now I'm being absurd. =P But here's another method of determining opposed contests:

Tournaments said:
Using Degrees of Success

Each competitor begins the competition with a DS of 0. There are two types of DS.
In cases where competitors are each trying to achieve the same goal independently (a foot race, for example): Each competitor makes a series of skill checks. The skill check result is added to the character’s DS. Thus, though you might make a single bad roll, you could still be ahead because of good rolls earlier. This is called Direct DS.

In cases where competitors are directly opposed and equal opponents could be at a stale-mate for some time (an arm-wrestle, for example): Each competitor makes a series of opposed skill checks. If the leading character wins, the difference between the winner’s skill check result and the loser’s is added to the winner’s DS. If the trailing character wins, the difference is subtracted from the leading character’s DS (this can result in a DS below 0). In this type of competition, a lot of “to-ing and fro-ing” may take place. This is called Opposed DS.
Tournaments said:
Arm-Wrestling
Target Number/DS: 20/Opposed.

Arm-wrestling is a simple test of opposed arm strength. Two competitors sit across a table from each other, clasp matching hands (right and right, or left and left), and try to shove the other person’s hand to the surface of the table.

Mechanics

Each round, competitors make Strength checks. If neither competitor reaches the Target Number quickly, they may begin to tire. A character can arm-wrestle for a number of rounds equal to her Constitution, but after that, she must succeed a Constitution check (DC 10) to continue to arm-wrestle. She must check again each round, and the DC increases by 1 for each check she has made. Characters with the Endurance feat gain a +4 bonus to this Constitution check.

When she fails this check, she can no longer arm-wrestle, and automatically loses. If both competitors fail their Constitution checks in the same round, then the winner is whoever had the higher DS (Degree of Success).

A character who fails the above Constitution check incurs a -2 penalty to all Strength-based rolls involving that arm until she can rest for at least one minute.

Variants and Optional Rules

Characters who compete with their off-hands may have a -2 penalty to their Strength checks. Characters with the Ambidexterity feat do not have this penalty.

Sometimes an arm-wrestle is conducted over a pair of spikes or flames, positioned so that the loser’s hand is injured. If this variant is being played, the loser takes 1d4 points of damage, plus the winner’s strength bonus. In addition, her hand is considered injured, incurring a -2 penalty to skills that require the use of that hand, and to attack rolls with that hand. is lasts until the injury is healed.

Wizards and sorcerers occasionally play psychic arm-wrestling, using their own mage hand spells (or, in rare cases, Bigby’s hand spells) to wrestle. Instead of Strength checks, use opposed caster-level checks. Wizards, sorcerers or psions can also sometimes engage in mental conflicts which work in the same way as arm-wrestles, but Intelligence is substituted for Strength and Wisdom is substituted for Constitution. e GM can optionally rule that the loser takes damage.

Oh yeah, this is all OGL.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist

Cludge leaps to his feet, clapping his hands together. AH, now THAT'S MORE LIKE IT! Best two outta three, friend Rasereit? I've got five shiny crowns here ta back up me big mouth. With a sweep of his arm, he clears a wide spot on the table.

[sblock=AGFlynn]Hey any rules are fine by me, but how about simplifying: best 2 out of 3, Roll Init, opposing grapple checks, a successful pin wins the round. That should take your higher level into account. But I'm good with whatever you should choose. Either way it'll liven up the joint.[/sblock]

Last edited:

corcio

First Post
the door to the red dragon inn bursts open, standing in the door for a second is a halfling. dressed in common clothes. brown leather jerkin and some leather pants. raising his arm in a seemingly difficult gesture. he waves a greeting to all and says " I am nesti rashweed. supreme sorcerer of the world. i seek adventure....and...." dropping his arm, he sways momentarily at the door then collapses face first on the floor. and lays there unmoving in the doorway.

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist

Well, I wasn't expectin' THAT, says Cludge in the short silence that follows the halfling's collapse. He stands and trots to the dooway, lifting the halfling easily and carefully depositing him on a table with a thud. MEDIC! Looks like 'es still breathin'. Rathan? Gal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads