• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Civ 4 - Excited? [UPDATED pt.2 - Game is out & now PATCHED! Share your thoughts.]

vulcan_idic said:
Thought some more on the mod idea, I think it'd be a blast to play on Faerun, Greyhawk or Eberron as a map... The civs would be easy enough to choose. You could play the Cormyrians (unique unit the Purple Dragon - replaces a standard knight) trying to overcome the evil Thayan culture (unique unit the Red Wizard - replaces a standard wizard)!!
Since I first encountered D&D, I've always wanted to play a D&D Civ. It wouldn't be easy to do right, but if it was done well, I believe it would sell really well - I suspect that there's a great deal of overlap in the two markets. They could do Eberron or Forgotten Realms themed games, or they could market this as the return of Birthright. Doesn't matter.

I have enjoyed every version of Civ (except, of course, for Call to Power), and CivIII Conquests is my favorite so far.

Borders!

Even distribution of resources!

I need it!

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
Okay, the game will be here before we know it.

I'm pumped. Looks great. I'm hoping it ships relatively bug-free. :)

Anyone else have their pre-order in?

babomb

First Post
Meh. Just play freeciv.

Civ 1 and 2 compatible? Check.
Choice of flat, round, traditional Civ E-W only wrapping or N-S only wrapping? Check.
Choice of hexagonal tiles? Check.
Completely customizable rulesets (e.g., change tech tree, change units, change buildings and their effects, change nations)? Check.
Free (as in both beer and speech)? Check.

Bront

The man with the probe
Civ 1 was cool. Civ 2 was ok, and Civ 3 became unfun because it became too complex. Sometimes, simple ideas can be the most fun.

I still want a new or remake of Railroad Tycoon.

John Crichton

First Post
babomb said:
Meh. Just play freeciv.

Civ 1 and 2 compatible? Check.
Choice of flat, round, traditional Civ E-W only wrapping or N-S only wrapping? Check.
Choice of hexagonal tiles? Check.
Completely customizable rulesets (e.g., change tech tree, change units, change buildings and their effects, change nations)? Check.
Free (as in both beer and speech)? Check.

Bront said:
Civ 1 was cool. Civ 2 was ok, and Civ 3 became unfun because it became too complex. Sometimes, simple ideas can be the most fun.

I still want a new or remake of Railroad Tycoon.
I'll take that as a "No pre-order for me, thanks." ;)

As for complexity, this version is supposed to really streamline things and cut down on micro-managing. If so, that will make me a happy gamer.

Excited? I don't think I'd say that. I played CivI and especially CivII until the wheels fell off. CivIII, for reasons I never bothered to figure out, just did not do it for me. Maybe I was burned out on Civ - except then why did I go back and play CivII a number of times rather than CivIII?

Oh, I'll buy it all right, and play it (since nothing else on my hard drive is demanding my attention anyway now that I got round to finishing HL2) but I'm not exactly holding my breath in anticipation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads