• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Civilization the Board Game.

Broken Fang

First Post
Just to add some agreement with other posters:

Civilization is best played with as many people as possible.

Settlers of Catan and its expansions are all GREAT! They also have high replay ability with the ever changing map and set up.

A few good two player games your wife might like (mine loves playing it) are Empire Builder and Euro Rails. In both games your building railroads to delivery goods. The "honeymoon" version makes it playable with only two.

KnowTheToe said:
Can Settlers be played with two players?

Maybe I should open this up a little. I am looking for fun games to play with my wife, who loves board games (non military strat war) and dislikes roleplaying. We play tons of different card games, occasional Monopoly etc, but I wanted to find something new. Any suggestions?

I wanted to know about Civ so I could play with my friends.

Not exactly what you're looking for, perhaps, but two games that I've found to be a lot of fun is Cheapass Games Unexploded Cow and Zombies!!, but I don't know who made that one...

Olive

Explorer
Sixchan said:

It was the expansion pack. Like I said, Civ 3 was a very good game. And I have the latest patch installed, but the Multiplayer aspect is still virtually unplayable.

and who's this CS? a magazine?

thanks for the heads up on it tho...

Maerdwyn

First Post
Broken Fang said:
Just to add some agreement with other posters:

A few good two player games your wife might like (mine loves playing it) are Empire Builder and Euro Rails. In both games your building railroads to delivery goods. The "honeymoon" version makes it playable with only two.

Seconded - my wife is pretty competetive, so games where there's too much direct conflict don't go over so well. Mayfair's train games fit the bill nicely, as both players can do well the whole way, instead of one player having to beat up the other to win. :)

Also, try this site: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/ (Specifically, try looking at the Geek Lists section, where gamers rate their favorites by category. This list is titled "Husband vs Wife": http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=428.

d20Dwarf

Explorer
KnowTheToe said:
Can Settlers be played with two players?

Maybe I should open this up a little. I am looking for fun games to play with my wife, who loves board games (non military strat war) and dislikes roleplaying. We play tons of different card games, occasional Monopoly etc, but I wanted to find something new. Any suggestions?

I wanted to know about Civ so I could play with my friends.

The best 2 player game out there right now, in my opinion, is Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. It's quite awesome, and the competition factor is not really high.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/lotrconf.html

You can even see a picture of Wood and I playing it at Pentacon in this month's KoDT. ;) Oh wait, wrong thread!

LightPhoenix

First Post
Maerdwyn said:

Seconded - my wife is pretty competetive, so games where there's too much direct conflict don't go over so well. Mayfair's train games fit the bill nicely, as both players can do well the whole way, instead of one player having to beat up the other to win. :)

My sympathies. My gf is the exact same way. Playing any sort of game with her is... exasperating.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is mildly off-topic, but the closest I've ever had to do with this was reading that one KODT strip where the Knights played Settlers of Cataan.

I swear, I was rolling on the floor as I read that. Bob, as usual, was the funniest. He tried to have his World's Largest Army card attack, not realizing that you only get points for building it, and it doesn't attack. His response?

"Armies that can't attack?! No combat actions?! What kind of firking game is this?!?! I refuse to believe this game was made by the Germans!! No way!! They're better than that!"

Hysterical!!

Anyway, sorry for the hijack. Back to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Sir Edgar said:
I would also recommend trying Civilization III on PC. It just came out with an expansion set a couple of months ago. It's definitely more complex than the board game, but easy to learn once you understand the basic concepts. VERY addictive!

They were giving away these rocks at GenCon last year...

johnsemlak

First Post
Sir Edgar said:

I would also recommend trying Civilization III on PC. It just came out with an expansion set a couple of months ago. It's definitely more complex than the board game, but easy to learn once you understand the basic concepts. VERY addictive!

I think I played a version w/o the patches and expansions, but I found Civ 3 CG to be disappointing. It didn't particularly improve Civ 2. In the later stages gameplay got VERY bogged down and slow. On my computer, you would have to wait over a minute between moves late in the game.

I think the Civilization computer game needs to find a way to make the later stages, when you have 20+ cities and thousands of units, easier to manage in an enjoyable way.

Personally, my favorite version was Civ 1, but Civ 2 was good too.

Also, I did like the old Civilization board game.

EDIT: this thread probably ought to be moved to the 'Non RPG specific' forums, although actually there isn't a forum which covers boardgames as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads