Clarification/Decision: Devices and Extra Effort

Hand of Vecna

First Post
From Ultimate Power:

When you acquire a Device choose whether the strain of using extra effort applies to you or the Device itself (see Extra Effort, M&M, page 120). If it applies to you, follow the normal extra effort rules. If it applies to the Device, then using extra effort to enhance the Device’s traits places stress on its construction or systems. A “fatigued” Device loses 2 power points from each of its effects. An “exhausted” Device loses 6 power points from each of its effects, and a Device pushed beyond exhausted is disabled and stops working. The modifiers last until the Device is repaired (a simple or moderate repair task, respectively, see the Craft skill, M&M, page 45).

This differs from the Core M&M 2E book, in that M&M 2E states a "fatigued" device suffers a -1 modifier to all ranks, and an "exhausted" device suffers a -3 penalty to all ranks. (Since many powers cost 2pp/rank, this works out to be roughly the same.) M&M 2E also states that to repair such a device is a Complex or Advanced task, not a Simple or Moderate one.

So, do we use the Core M&M 2E version, or the UP one? As the player of a Gadgeteer, I'd kinda like to know ;)

Last edited:

Salix

First Post
Hand of Vecna said:
From Ultimate Power:

This differs from the Core M&M 2E book, in that M&M 2E states a "fatigued" device suffers a -1 modifier to all ranks, and an "exhausted" device suffers a -3 penalty to all ranks. (Since many powers cost 2pp/rank, this works out to be roughly the same.) M&M 2E also states that to repair such a device is a Complex or Advanced task, not a Simple or Moderate one.

So, do we use the Core M&M 2E version, or the UP one? As the player of a Gadgeteer, I'd kinda like to know ;)

I like the core book rule, but then I'm more conservative. I also like the idea of pushing a device too far beyond its limits, and it not being easy to fix.

Bront

The man with the probe
I'll have to check. I have the 3rd printing in PDF at home, they might have erattaed it.

EDIT: Ok, I can't find any reference to device fatigue in the book to begin with. What page?

Last edited:

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Bront said:
I'll have to check. I have the 3rd printing in PDF at home, they might have erattaed it.

EDIT: Ok, I can't find any reference to device fatigue in the book to begin with. What page?
On my .pdf version of the M&M 2E Core book, it's on page 82, under the entry for the Device power.

Bront

The man with the probe
Yup, right there in mine. I'll have to check the new version (Downloaded it 2 weeks ago I think). Odd a search didn't turn that up.

rgordona

Explorer
CORE BOOK - Lose ranks not PP

I actually think the UP rule is fairer, but counting PP is annoying and it is better to go core where possible, saves everyone needing to buy UP, or remember lots of house rules.

Remove ads