Clarification on Shared Spells for a Paladin's Mount...

drnuncheon

Explorer
kreynolds said:
Note that it does not say "You cast the spell."

When you activate a spell from a wand with "Target: You", it also effects you, not the wand, so I fail to see your point in this regard. I'm trying though.

OK, I'll break it down some more:

When you activate a scroll, it is "treated as if it were prepared and cast in the normal way".

When you activate a spell where the target is 'you' or the effect is 'emanation from caster', you are treated as the caster. If it has multiple effects, you choose them at reading time.

Thus, when you activate a scroll, it is treated as if it were prepared and cast in the normal way by you - unlike a potion, where the decisions (such as what element to resist) are made by the maker of the potion.

If a spell is cast by you, it can be shared with your mount.

Wands, on the other hand, do not have the note that it is treated as if it were prepared and cast in the normal way, so it is not as clear whether spells cast from wands (or staffs) could be shared.

J

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Wands use the spell trigger activation method, not spell completion, so no, wands could not be shared. You are only triggering the spell, not completing it as in a scroll.

I think scrolls are the only thing I would consider, and the argument for allowing them is pretty strong.

Dingleberry

First Post
The "share spells" abilities of mounts and familiars are essentially the same, and Tome and Blood (p. 11) states: "You can share the effects of magic items, but only spells or spell-like abilities that you can target on yourself. For example, Hennet and his familiar can both benefit from a mage armor spell cast from a wand, but they cannot share the armor bonus from bracers of armor."

Artoomis

First Post
Dingleberry said:
The "share spells" abilities of mounts and familiars are essentially the same, and Tome and Blood (p. 11) states: "You can share the effects of magic items, but only spells or spell-like abilities that you can target on yourself. For example, Hennet and his familiar can both benefit from a mage armor spell cast from a wand, but they cannot share the armor bonus from bracers of armor."

Whoa!! From a WAND?!?!

Wow - I wouldn't go that far.

coyote6

Adventurer
I don't really see the harm* -- after all, the mount/familiar can't move more than five feet from the caster without losing the effects of the spell, so it's not like you can buff both you & your horse up, and have it go flank others or something. It's basically a way to make protecting & healing your mount/familiar cheaper & easier. After all, the features are supposed to be advantages for characters, and not ways to drain more resources.

*Well, maybe if you & your familiar/mount were both undead, then I could see the harm. :D

Remove ads