D&D 5E Clarification - Opportunity attacks

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Or alternatively, a houserule of "a creature can automatically lower its effective reach for OA purposes down to any distance, minimum 5 feet". In other words, someone can dance around a foe with reach within 5 feet all that they want, but dancing to 10 feet can provoke.

Thats a little different, though the ability to draw in your reach would make sense in some cases. Actually, if you just rule leaving adjacent provoked, it would be pretty straight forward.

Tormyr

Hero
If the creature is keeping you within its own reach, then I am ruling that it is not lowering its defenses. If it goes farther, it is. If you can dance back and forth in front of me, and I am the one with reach, I should be able to return the favor. But I see how its a potentially fiddly ruling.

But we aren't talking about him dancing back and forth in front of you. We are talking about you with the reach weapon leaving his reach. If you leave his reach without using the Disengage action, he may choose to take an opportunity attack.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
But we aren't talking about him dancing back and forth in front of you. We are talking about you with the reach weapon leaving his reach. If you leave his reach without using the Disengage action, he may choose to take an opportunity attack.

I understand that, and it has already been pointed out. I am just not agreeing with it/ruling that way in this case.

Remove ads