• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clarify the Combat Challenge?

the8bitdeity

First Post
Hello,
So I've got the 4ed books, but my DM snapped them up pretty quickly right after I got them. That's ok, I'm happy playing for the time being.

Anyways, I'm playing a Warforged Fighter with Hammer + Shield. So far at Level 2 it's pretty cool. I'd like some clarification on proper usage of Combat Challenge.

I understand it as such:
(all melee btw)
1) I can only have 1 OA per creature.
2) Any attack I make, I can mark with.
3) Any marked creature that moves/shifts or attacks another target I can take a swing at.

So does that mean I can mark with OAs? It seems as such.

So say I've got:
K = kobolds
F = fighter

K**
*K*
*F*

I mark the one in front of me with an attack. Cool.
Now on their turn the distant Kobold makes a mad dash before the Wizard behind me casts Scorching Blast.

KK*
*F*

He enters a threatened square.

*K*
KF*

At this point I make a OA and mark him.

Now if he moves again can I take another swing triggered by Combat Challenge?

Also are there any good other PC abilities that can cause monsters to be drawn to another character, ideally with me in-between. Sort of a bait and switch?

Cheers

sukael

First Post
Yep. You (as a fighter) can mark with any attack, whether it be melee, ranged, area, standard, move, immediate reaction, whatever.. (Keep in mind that it's leaving a threatened square that's important, not entering one.)

And take a look at the paladin's Divine Challenge.

MeMeMeMe

First Post
Hello,
So does that mean I can mark with OAs? It seems as such.
Yes.
Now if he moves again can I take another swing triggered by Combat Challenge?

No. Combat Challenge does not grant OAs. It grants a special Immediate action, which you can use in only two situations: when an adjacent marked enemy shifts or attacks someone other than you.
So, if the kobold ran up alongside you as described, you'd get an OA. If the kobold then stopped adjacent to you, and for some reason used its Shifty ability to then shift away as a minor action on the same turn, you could also attack with the Immediate action. But that's pretty unlikely to happen.
In any case, with your Combat Superiority, you could stop the kobold moving on that first OA if the OA is successful.

the8bitdeity

First Post
No. Combat Challenge does not grant OAs. It grants a special Immediate action, which you can use in only two situations: when an adjacent marked enemy shifts or attacks someone other than you.
So, if the kobold ran up alongside you as described, you'd get an OA. If the kobold then stopped adjacent to you, and for some reason used its Shifty ability to then shift away as a minor action on the same turn, you could also attack with the Immediate action. But that's pretty unlikely to happen.
In any case, with your Combat Superiority, you could stop the kobold moving on that first OA if the OA is successful.

Ok, gotcha. The continued movement is not triggering the Combat Challenge. Understood. Now better clarification on the stopping? The OA stops the kobold from moving, but what if it still has movement points? Keeps on moving or does the OA end the kobolds move action?

abyssaldeath

First Post
It's stops his move no matter how many spaces he has left. He could still use a standard action to move after you have stopped his movement.

Kordeth

First Post
Ok, gotcha. The continued movement is not triggering the Combat Challenge. Understood. Now better clarification on the stopping? The OA stops the kobold from moving, but what if it still has movement points? Keeps on moving or does the OA end the kobolds move action?

Bear in mind that your OAs only stop the movement of a target that's already marked; the OA that marks the enemy in the first place doesn't get the benefit.

MeMeMeMe

First Post
Bear in mind that your OAs only stop the movement of a target that's already marked; the OA that marks the enemy in the first place doesn't get the benefit.

Actually, that's not true.
The abilities of Combat Challenge (attack a target who shifts, or attack a target who attacks someone else) only work on a market target.
The ability of Combat Superiority (end a target's movement with an OA) can be used whether the target is marked or not.

Kordeth

First Post
Actually, that's not true.
The abilities of Combat Challenge (attack a target who shifts, or attack a target who attacks someone else) only work on a market target.
The ability of Combat Superiority (end a target's movement with an OA) can be used whether the target is marked or not.

Whoops, you're right. I must have gotten the Combat Challenge errata (specifying that the enemy must be marked by you) confused with a (nonexistent) errata for Combat Superiority requiring the target be marked.

Remove ads