• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Class advice for Rise of the Runelords

Rorryn

First Post
(please keep the suggestions Spoiler free)

I am finishing up a CotCT game right now, and we have the next GM ondeck setting up Rise of the Runelords.

I was thinking of playing a Changeling Multi-class Ranger/Inquisitor. Originally I was thinking she would be an Undead Hunter, but without knowing if a lot of Undead are in this AP that might be a waste.

Does anyone have an recommendations as if I should go Heavier w/ Ranger or Inquisitor?
Also what are some of the more useful Favored enemies to think about with this campaign?

N'raac

First Post
Why not download the Players' Guide from Paizo on the AP - it has all sorts of spoiler-lite character suggestions, including favoured enemies.

Rorryn

First Post
I had already DL'd it. i might have missed that part.

But still wasn't sure which class breakdown might work better Strong Ranger, 50/50 or strong inquisitor.

N'raac

First Post
There are two guides - the one for the anniversary edition is much more specific on favoured enemies, as well as other choices like skills.

I'm not the right person to comment on the level mix - it depends, to me, on whether you want a greater focus on the Ranger's combat style, favoured enemies and terrains, etc. or the Inquisitor spells and judgements.

I'd probably steer clear of Undead Hunter (as I don't think Undead were suggested as a Ranger FE), unless you want the flavour of being exceptionally effective if/when Undead crop up.

Last edited:

dragonis111

First Post
Honestly, what would you have more fun playing? yes if you make a character solely focused on undead slaying and not even a single zombie pops up in the game, it would have been a lost, but D&D and pathfinder, or any fantasy RPG is about roleplaying anything you want, and having fun with it. To me powergaming to play the most efficient character seems pointless, that is what is games like WoW are for. Just make a character that you will really enjoy playing and has his/her own role in the party!!!

Rorryn

First Post
I am not really trying to power game...I more just want to know some suggestions for favored enemies. If I were power gaming I wouldn't be sacrificing an multi-classing for story. Also because of that story aspect I am looking for I was wondering basically if it paid to be a more Pious/religious inquisitor or lean slightly more towards the hunter/combat aspect of the ranger on a level of usefulness. Not a "Power Gaming" decision.

Page 1, under the headline/Boldface: Dangerous Denizens;

A prepared character should be suited to challenge monstrous humanoids, giants,
magical beasts, and undead, and even greater threats at higher levels, such as evil outsiders and dragons

Remove ads