• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Class Advice

Hey guys! I'm a relatively experienced player at 5e, but recently, I haven't been able to find a fun, but still good, class. I'm looking from advice from you 5e experts out there to help me find a new class.
My only request is no clerics or paladins.
And yes, I know there is no such thing as the 'best' or 'worst' class--I'm looking for classes that you have enjoyed playing.
Thanks!
-Aldarin

Asaris

Explorer
It depends so much on what your personal style of play is that it's hard to give general advice. What do you have fun doing when you play D&D?

hejtmane

Explorer
Hey guys! I'm a relatively experienced player at 5e, but recently, I haven't been able to find a fun, but still good, class. I'm looking from advice from you 5e experts out there to help me find a new class.
And yes, I know there is no such thing as the 'best' or 'worst' class--I'm looking for classes that you have enjoyed playing.
Thanks!
-Aldarin

That is a loaded question
I have one that loves his totem Barbarian
One has the Monk way of the hand loves it
One is a mutli classed fighter/cleric a battle cleric concept (champion/life) has pole-arm master not great at any one thing but while rounded and contributes in many different ways and he loves being a swiss army knife

You could always build around a concept

Do you prefer melee ? Magic ? hybrid ?

BoldItalic

First Post
Create a custom background, then create a short backstory to go with it with a reason to go adventuring, and you have a character. Then let the character choose a class. It will make more sense.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Paladin. Oh sorry you said no paladins why wouldnt you want to be a paladin and i quote "plate and healz" "they can Tank Heal and DPS brah there broken" oh sorry wrong game im just a paladin born and bread.

Ok on topic what BoldItalic said make a story and apply a class that seems relevant to it. Failing that what do you enjoy sword or sorcery, finesse or brute force.

SmokingSkull

First Post
Personally I love the Fighter, for the simple fact that you can build them however you want. With abundant ASI and/or Feats if your DM allows them makes them highly customizable. Additionally they're not all that complicated to play so you can focus on other things going on in the game. Just my 2 copper :)

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hey guys! I'm a relatively experienced player at 5e, but recently, I haven't been able to find a fun, but still good, class.
I have not enjoyed playing any classes in 5e.

My players, though, when I think back to the memorable moments and the players having the most fun, specifically because of their class, seem to have particularly enjoyed Bards and Warlocks.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Rogue (thief), variant human with the Ritual Caster (cleric) feat at first level. I finally managed to make the John Constantine/Harry D'Amour type character I've wanted since the days of 2e.

famousringo

First Post
I haven't played one yet, but warlocks look like a ton of fun, simply because they have so many build options. Just grab Eldritch Blast and Agonizing Blast to do good damage in combat, then grab whatever else seems fun.

Want to manipulate your way through the social pillar? Be a Fey charmer or an Old One dominator with some at will illusions.

Want to own the exploration pillar? Pact of the Chain will do that.

Want to be the party loremaster? Tome pact for a ton of rituals, Detect Magic at will, read any language.

Just want to crush things in melee? Pact of the Blade with Hex, Armor of Agathys and a big two-hander. Maybe a dip into something martial to supplement.

Miladoon

First Post
Thanks!
-Aldarin

I second BoldItalic.

Asaad ibn Karim, Warlord of Wustefar, Human Soldier/Batttlemaster - Non-magic support, His mantra - Never give up, Never surrender!
Fenris Tinskin, Journeyman Librarian/Scrollmaster, Mtn Dwarf Sage/Arcane Trickster - Treasure finder and researcher. Yes he hates snakes.
Kylo Tinskin (Adventurer's League), Bagpiper/Cage fighter, Mtn Dwarf Champion/Wild Mage - grappler. Used for comic relief and doing things that other players are too afraid to do.
Obed the Defiler, Life Cleric/Wild Mage - Blasting, healing, and buffing. A character in a novel project based on a D&D campaign.

Characters that have only made it to paper:
Gnome Dragoon, Ranger Beastmaster (Deer Rider) - considering an archery style for a hit and run theme.
Monk Marine, Mtn Dwarf Spelljamming monastery dwelling assault marines. A 40K hack.

Remove ads