• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Compendium: Gone?

pedr

Explorer
Pedr any chance of link to the downloadable instructions for season 4?
It's in the WPN ordering system, so I'm not comfortable making it more widely available - it's not mine to share. There's not much of interest to people who aren't involved in Encounters, apart from the bits I've mentioned, so you're not missing anything!

Anyone who plays Encounters can probably ask their organiser for the details - once a session of Season 4 is scheduled, the organiser will be able to download the instructions.

mudlock

First Post
The Class Compendium book's promise of having multiclassing rules was the only reason I went and dumped money into all of the Essentials products (Lord knows my players want nothing to do with them).

I do not understand the logic here. If you really don't like essentials, why would you buy them at all? How does having a book that makes it clear how to mix-and-match essentials bits (that you hate!) with initial 4e bits (that you love!) make it, in any way, more desirable to you? Why would you then NOT buy any new, non-essential (and therefore not part of this thing-you-hate, but part of this thing-you-love) books?

That seems completely up-side-down to me.

And regardless of that, how does this book effect, AT ALL, the convenience of the RC, or reduce the effectiveness of the MV, or the new tile sets, or have any bearing on the DMK?

I think a lot of people who say they "hate essentials" really just don't like the classes in HotF(K/L). Well, I've got news: essentials is more than just those classes. And if you don't like those classes, do what I do with shaman and seeker: don't play one.

AlioTheFool

First Post
I do not understand the logic here. If you really don't like essentials, why would you buy them at all? How does having a book that makes it clear how to mix-and-match essentials bits (that you hate!) with initial 4e bits (that you love!) make it, in any way, more desirable to you? Why would you then NOT buy any new, non-essential (and therefore not part of this thing-you-hate, but part of this thing-you-love) books?

That seems completely up-side-down to me.

And regardless of that, how does this book effect, AT ALL, the convenience of the RC, or reduce the effectiveness of the MV, or the new tile sets, or have any bearing on the DMK?

I think a lot of people who say they "hate essentials" really just don't like the classes in HotF(K/L). Well, I've got news: essentials is more than just those classes. And if you don't like those classes, do what I do with shaman and seeker: don't play one.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of completely putting words in my mouth.

Where did I say anything about love and hate of products?

I don't have any problems with the Essentials classes, per se. I just wouldn't have bought those books without the future option for multi-classing rules. From what I recall of the original product announcement, this book was supposed to present a number of options to expand on the game, including cutting up classes, which is something I've always felt was sorely lacking in this edition.

For the record, I would have bought the Rules Compendium and Monster Vault either way, but had I not already bought the two player books I would have completely skipped the useless DM Kit that does nothing for me except repeat all of the Rules Compendium and throw in a bunch of cardboard circles that I'll never even pop out of the sheet.

As for "love" of anything 4e, my "love" is waning, and has been for months. If WotC (figuratively) stabs me in the back on this one, it'll be the last straw for me in terms of dumping money into their print products. I have more printed 4e materials than I'll ever use so I don't need any more. If I feel like I've been mislead (yet again) I'm giving up on them (except for whatever minis are released).

Last edited:

bagger245

Explorer
You are indeed, AlioTheFool. :p
You are indeed, banned from the thread for a pointless drive by threadcrap. Email me if you don't understand the problem. Plane Sailing

Last edited by a moderator:

AlioTheFool

First Post
You are indeed, AlioTheFool. :p

I'll bet you feel all witty and original, right?

Rather than get into an argument with no substance, I'll present you 3 choices, feel free to act on any of them.

1) Take 5 minutes to respond to the post if you disagree with it.
2) Feel free to head over to the blog post I wrote regarding WotC broken promises and comment there (with a more complete education regarding my point) Waiting On…line – RPG Musings
3) Completely ignore me from the cover of that bridge.

Either way, please feel free to not waste anymore time with inane and childish potshots.

Rydac

Explorer
It's in the WPN ordering system, so I'm not comfortable making it more widely available - it's not mine to share. There's not much of interest to people who aren't involved in Encounters, apart from the bits I've mentioned, so you're not missing anything!

Anyone who plays Encounters can probably ask their organiser for the details - once a session of Season 4 is scheduled, the organiser will be able to download the instructions.

No problem Pedr thanks for explaining. I run encounters at my local FLGS and they'll give me a look. I knew season 4 was available to ordrer but didn't know instructions were up.

Another funny thing if class compendium is delayed is that the December 17th WPN newsletter with info for stores about season 4 specifically mentions the book and its involvement with the season

ristarr

First Post
A patch of rough seas slowed the freighter coming from China with the books. Maybe it even sank and they had to reprint the whole run. Who knows. I agree that it's hardly worth panicking over.

Is it possible the freighter got too close to R'yleh, awoke the Great Cthulhu and got eaten? If this is what happened, then it is actually an event worth panicking over.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'll bet you feel all witty and original, right?

Rather than get into an argument with no substance, I'll present you 3 choices, feel free to act on any of them.

1) Take 5 minutes to respond to the post if you disagree with it.
2) Feel free to head over to the blog post I wrote regarding WotC broken promises and comment there (with a more complete education regarding my point) Waiting On…line – RPG Musings
3) Completely ignore me from the cover of that bridge.

Either way, please feel free to not waste anymore time with inane and childish potshots.

I enjoyed your blog post. It's well written and thoughtful. I disagree with a lot of your views, but that's secondary to my appreciation. We just have different thresholds of patience :)

Actually we don´t need such a book. I would miss it if the contents of the book will go out of the window.

But lets think about those books. What is really in there?

- Rules for non essential classes. Check.
- Advanced backgrounds. Themes. Check.
- All those rules for non essential classes.

Why not merge those books into a single hardcover and by all means, give us a revised/advanced PHB 1.

They won´t go out and throw it all away... hopefully.

AlioTheFool

First Post
I enjoyed your blog post. It's well written and thoughtful. I disagree with a lot of your views, but that's secondary to my appreciation. We just have different thresholds of patience :)

Disagreement is completely acceptable. I don't necessarily expect anyone to agree with me. I simply present my argument as clearly as I possibly can, and let the reader do with it what they will.

I just don't quietly suffer insults or straw man arguments. If someone disagrees with me, and chooses to present their side, we can debate. Otherwise, the best bet is to leave me be.

Thank you for your compliment. It is truly appreciated. As for your patience level, it's better to be like you. I spend far too much time being angry.

Remove ads