• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class ideas for an Ender of Days in a high powered campaign.

Naoki00_

First Post
Recently I've been invited to join a campaign and play a character type I've never had the privilege to portray, a kind of "ragnarok" incarnate.

Long story short is that she is meant to be part of the major plot line that they rest of the party is in, finally meeting the figure they've heard could save/end the world in the end, and it's their goal to try and persuade her to the side of good (over the campaign of course).

The DM asked me to either find or create a class that will give the feel of a powerful magic user, but with a flare that feels particularly devastating or impacting to the field or the observer, power balance isn't an issue since he told me to purposefully break the character (it's a very high power campaign, the other party members are level 6, but can handle CR's of 20 and are nearly all melee fighters or bow users)

Her race is a merger of Vampire and Demilich with no phylactery (ridiculous I know, but the DM actually was equally ridiculously happy at the idea as the vampire blood that made her is meant to have been from the literal vampire god) and so has plently of support in and of herself, but now I need a class that will actually feel like an additive and meet the same flare that the DM asked for...problem being I have no clue what classes or combination there of would give the feel that was hoped for, or have many ideas on how to create such a class. He suggested also making it have a feel that it's pulling the character to be more evil with a "You CAN use this for good, but does it feel as good?" feel.

So I ask the good people of the internet for advice and idea's, can you help me?

EDIT- I may want to note that she's either chaotic or lawful neutral to start, not having to be evil

Last edited:

Naoki00_

First Post
After your last thread, you might want to clarify the system and extent of house rules in play up front.

well to be honest I'm not sure how much homeruleing we're using, it's one of the DM's first campaigns, he's done another High level campaign that worked out well, and so he's starting this one.

I know it's 3.5 and uses heavy bits of frostburn, he recently suggested the character be cold based as well, and I whole heartingly agree..but I don't know how much of his house rules he's using, as he uses less then my usual group.

Zelda Themelin

First Post
Frostburn, it has this interesting spell called "ice assassin". Kinda would make me try to make pun-pun esque character. That I would call breaking the game. Lol.

But maybe to land of ideas I usually get on my own.

I would go gestalt and add few templates to boot. I personally like Warlock, as long as gm lt's you create some original invocations, and I would use web enchantement epic section feats too. It's not most powerful class but it has great thematics and visuals for various ideas of power source. Basic version has abyssal/infernal feel, ice theme would be easy to add up. And don't forget to take metamagic for your eldric blast.

Second class I would take from book of nine swords. Warblade or maybe that shadow..something ninja type. But low basic attack hurts, so not that unless you can comp it.

If you don't go melee go arcane. I made while back cool ur-priestey including combo.
You seem to be going more to that direction.

Then I would start piling templates. I would use psychic powers instead of magic, but that's just me. For most part even with our houserules they suck compared to magic. And without houserules they kinda lame. So, some better end psychic qualities make great supernatural powers.

As to race I would take a peek to green ronin's bastards and half-bloods, unless you caunt uber cheap celestial tamplates out there is really fun sorcerer esque race there, called half-nymph. Had this in acual game in Oathbound universe. It has evolutions, which was reason for template spree, but some of those writen are very good, I like the feral one, makes nat weapon user really elite, and first levels of shadow, but not whole one.

Cherry picking some spells from relics & rituals books if allowed (as they are 3.0 the first 2) . It has some cool shadow/cold related spells and sacrifice spell-spell that I like for my arcanits sometimes.

I woudn't touch epic books much, unless you count few feats it really doesn't have that much good stuff. Unless you use epic spells, which I don't since I don't like the feel and mathematics required. And it has Paragon template and lamer Aberrant.

I am telling this stuff if you are lacking ideas for rarer sources. Sadly many D&D 3rd edition class discussions are lost in past of internet. Some of the most broken stuff is really insparing and fun to read.

3.5. had annoying habit of cutting caster levels off the prestige classes. I rarely want to make such a sacrifice when making character. Of those I usually take 1 lv of mindbender for telepathy.

I can try to check something more if you have clearer idea what you want. I mean what you need from classes. Templates add up some missing elements nicely. And sounds you are using them. If you go classic vampre. You have weakness with holy magics and sunlight (spells included), I suggest you work on overcoming that unless your divane vampire blood thingie covers it.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
well to be honest I'm not sure how much homeruleing we're using, it's one of the DM's first campaigns, he's done another High level campaign that worked out well, and so he's starting this one.

I know it's 3.5 and uses heavy bits of frostburn, he recently suggested the character be cold based as well, and I whole heartingly agree..but I don't know how much of his house rules he's using, as he uses less then my usual group.

Ok, I'll move it to the legacy d&d forum, you'll get more focused responses there.

Allegro

First Post
The suggestions to date were all about making the entity overtly powerful. I'm not sure if this should be in the rules forum or in plots and places since it looks like staking anything together goes. What about a small waif girl with doe eyes who wanders through the woods oblivious. She can be seen playing with and modifying nature. They come upon her and she is making butterflies by modifying one so it leaves a trail of lightening and makes another radiate negative energy killing vegetation it lands on.

Under the hood she is the physical manifestation of the planet itself. Think aspect of the deity but aspect of the planet. Changes to the planet itself affect her. If the planet remains unpolluted and natural she will be relatively benign expect with her changes. But as the planet is corrupted so she is corrupted and will eventually start destroying things.

Consider her a level 20 druid, sorceress, and ranger. Her blood if spilled will spout new creatures. She will not hesitate to use her at will ability to cast wish to defend herself.

emanresu

First Post
ask the DM if you could make the build gestalt, he wants broken, there ya go! Also Vampire Lord Template Class is awesome! Make the Vamp cha based Sorcerer, if gestalted add on the Swift blade Prst class for a whole bunch of in class goodies and raise sorcerer spells opposite swift blade levels that dont add level.

Get scout class for the feats, evasion, uncanny dodge, skirmish & faster movement, all this stacks with the swiftblade. With the Bounding Assualt, spring attack fast movement extra move actions, extra standard actions, your vamp lord will

move in get several attacks and move out, oh and cast spells all in same round! You want a bad guy this would be very very good!

khantroll

Explorer
In my last epic campaign, we had a character who was supposed to be the incarnation of war itself. She looked like a 14 year old girl, but she could take on the physical abilities and spell-like abilities of martial type angels and demons. She could also cast spells when not doing that, as a sorcerer of her natural level, when not drawing upon those divine powers, but those spells were limited to enchantment and illusion spells. You could do something like that, but instead of infernal or divine, you could use fey and/or elementals.

Remove ads