Class Idol: Final rankings

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
We have four groups of classes:

All-around popular: Fighter obviously, along with sorcerer, wizard...people like them and don't dislike them

Love-hates: Warlord especially, also (to a lesser degree) bard, sword mage; people either really like them or hate them.

Blah-Blahs: the ranger and rogue, not really hated or loved

All around un-popular: Shaman, you have few friends, and the druid and invoker are right next to you. I will give the psionic classes a pass, for now.

I just realized that a diagram could illustrate this so nicely. Hmm...

Dedekind

Explorer
I wonder how the classes literary counterparts stack up in popularity? For example, Drizzt was a ranger, but ranger didn't fare well.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
DDK: I have something even more exciting I might want to try with the races. As for Drizzt...well talk about love-hate.

Stalker0

Legend
I wonder how the classes literary counterparts stack up in popularity? For example, Drizzt was a ranger, but ranger didn't fare well.

I think it has more to do with the classes presented then their historical counterparts, though the history of a class can help.

I think rangers didn't do well because rangers....are really boring imo. I actually consider them the most powerful class in teh game (bow rangers anyway), but they go in a throw twin strikers and big damage powers time and time again. There's nothing interesting about them which I why they didn't fare well.

The fighter on the other hand is definitely the best overall class in 4e right now. Its got a bit of everything:

1) It can pull from every role at least a little:
Defender: Solid mark and ability to stop movement means the enemy stay where the fighter tells them to.
Striker: Fighters deal solid weapon damage with big W powers and have lots of multiattack powers...which brings about the damage.
Leader: Doesn't have teh healing powers of a leader, but can heal himself with certain powers and iconically is always the class that "leads" when it comes to combat.
Controller: Has forced movement, proning, immobilizing, and stunning powers in combo with his movement halting defending powers.

2) Durable. The class doesn't go down easy.

3) Flexible: The fighter's secondary stat isn't tied to a build, but a weapon...meaning he can shift weapons to focus on different stats or abilities. Further, he has abilities that work well with dex, con, and wisdom.

4) Iconic: The fighter in 4e works like you expect a fighter to work. He's a master of war who rushes into the fray and dominates the battlefield wherever he goes. His defender ability is also very....defendery is probably the best word. Only the swordmage's aegis of shielding is a better example of defending to me, the fighter is really the icon of the defender role.

5) Newb friendly. While a 4e fighter is harder to play than a 3e one, its still pretty friendly to new players...but he has enough strength to appeal to vets as well.

6) Great in a group or on his own.

One major change in 4e was that classes were geared more towards team combat. That's great...but sometimes you still want to be a badass all by yourself. A controller that controls is okay....but if noone is around to kill the guy it only works so well. A leader without a team to buff is pretty worthless. A rogue without someone to help flank or to distract while he hides can be in trouble.

A fighter can walk into a room and simply get it done, team or no team.

Remove ads