• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Idol Round 7: Only Three Remain!

Choose the ONE 4E class that is BEST. This is a single choice public poll

• Poll closed .

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I just noticed your sig. I find it interesting that a "tactician style gamer" doesn't like the warlord. All the tacticians I know at least like it, and I personally find that the way the warlord plays meshes almost perfectly with my gaming mindset. I guess it's down to perspective - whether you see powers like commander's strike as passively "giving up" your turn or actively doing something that allows the best melee attacker to strike again, and with a damage bonus to boot. It might be a matter of semantics, but it does affect the way you visualize your character.

Well it was an online test, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. :p
I happen to like actual tactics. The effective use of the environment and the like (such as burning down bridges). Which is why I started playing DnD in the first place, the enormous number of things you can do to change a battle that simply aren't possible in card games or war games. Warlords are just too meta for me. They spend most of their time setting up the biggest numbers so the party can hack away. At that point I feel as if I am just going through the motions until a monster dies. Having a critical strike for huge numbers is fun, but not as fun as tricking a dragon into eating a bomb.

In the end I suppose I am just naturally biased against he warlord, mostly because I wanted a martial controller.

Klaus

First Post
I just noticed your sig. I find it interesting that a "tactician style gamer" doesn't like the warlord. All the tacticians I know at least like it, and I personally find that the way the warlord plays meshes almost perfectly with my gaming mindset. I guess it's down to perspective - whether you see powers like commander's strike as passively "giving up" your turn or actively doing something that allows the best melee attacker to strike again, and with a damage bonus to boot. It might be a matter of semantics, but it does affect the way you visualize your character.
One very simple way to eliminate the "giving up turn" problem is to let the warlord's player roll the attack and damage he is granting to his ally.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I really, really hope the sorcerer doesn't win. After the ranger, its the closest thing to a "point and go boom" class, and I've never liked classes that a....except for Chaos Sorcs, which I love, but one build can't salvage a class for me, especially when placed against the sheer genius of the Fighter and Warlord.

I think that IS why I voted for them. Well, and the wildmaging. So we agree on that.

Blackbrrd

First Post
Well it was an online test, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. :p
I happen to like actual tactics. The effective use of the environment and the like (such as burning down bridges). Which is why I started playing DnD in the first place, the enormous number of things you can do to change a battle that simply aren't possible in card games or war games. Warlords are just too meta for me. They spend most of their time setting up the biggest numbers so the party can hack away. At that point I feel as if I am just going through the motions until a monster dies. Having a critical strike for huge numbers is fun, but not as fun as tricking a dragon into eating a bomb.

In the end I suppose I am just naturally biased against he warlord, mostly because I wanted a martial controller.

Martial Controller? You mean the Fighter? ;)

The level 7 encounter Come and get it (or whatever it's called), Footwork lure, Rain of Steel, etc makes the Fighter an excellent controller of the battlefield. A lot of the time I feel he is doing more control over the battlefield than I have seen from any "controller". :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads