• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class-Less Dungeons and Dragons

SkullThrone

First Post
Here's a project that a friend is working on, I've seen the preliminary work and have been in the last round of play testers.

Essentially it is 4E, he likes to say, "4e, means for everyone", but rather than choosing a race and class, you choose pretty much just a race, and then you begin ala-carte customizing.

It was really interesting, where you can choose to be Feat-heavy or Power-heavy...you can even sacrifice in the area of defense and hit points to gain more abilities...it was a very good play test.

Open Gateways (where 4E means "For Everyone") by Northspot — Kickstarter
or
tinyurl.com/3dz8bo4

northspot

First Post
Thanks Skulls, I have officially launched the project, my summer is busy, but I still crank on this nearly everyday. I have a few artists getting involved, I'll send out names as they sign on, on the and I think David Wesely, the Grand Father of modern Role-Playing, is going to write the forward to the Core Rules book.

For those that don't know Dave, he created Braunstein (1967), which after he was drafted Dave Arneson asked if he could take it over. In Arneson's hands this morphed into the now famous Blackmoor campaign, which he approach Gary Gygax with about 3 years later.

Here's a link David Wesely - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alms66

First Post
Looks interesting, certainly more interesting to me than anything WotC (or it's parasite companies) has ever put out.

Clarification - the system seems interesting, the setting seems more or less standard D&D dribble. I'd rather see you publish this as a stand-alone fantasy RPG without the setting, but I can easily ignore that part if the system is good enough.

Last edited:

SkullThrone

First Post
I went to the entire first two seasons of Encounters, and I swear these were 12 different encounters written by different people all tossed together. Then I bought Marauders of the Dune Sea, and I could have done better with a random dungeon generator...

The damage adjust that came with MM3 and Darksun was obvious to me in my first campaign, even though my players fought the change they accepted it. Then when Wizards made the change, I couldn't resist the "I told you". Where the hell is the play testing in there system...They'd rather kick out an update then spend time testing it.

Last edited:

northspot

First Post
Looks interesting, certainly more interesting to me than anything WotC (or it's parasite companies) has ever put out.

Clarification - the system seems interesting, the setting seems more or less standard D&D dribble. I'd rather see you publish this as a stand-alone fantasy RPG without the setting, but I can easily ignore that part if the system is good enough.

There is a Core Rules, that is separate from the Campaign Setting, and I am making an effort to allow the rules to stand on their own.

The original system was created in the AD&D 2nd ed. time frame, and was later patched to support some of the 3rd edition changes...and recently for 4E. What that means is I have a version that supports the older spell casting systems, and a PathFinder port would be possible as well.

However my first goal is an attempt to get it out there, hopefully with some community support.

Open Gateways
A Classless, skill based 4E compatible gaming system,
Where 4E means "For Everyone".

Remove ads