• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Overview - Powers

CapnZapp

Legend
One thing I feel is lacking as a DM resource is a overview of class capabilities.

Unless you play a certain class (perhaps more than once, trying different builds) or plow through the powers listings (a very dry read), it's almost impossible to get a grasp on what characters of each class actually can do.

Is the class about forced movement? Area effects? Melee? Ranged? Teleportation? Huge damage? Which conditions? Which defenses? And so on, and so on...

It would really help if each class and tier got a short paragraph describing its signature capabilities.

Not the general fluff you can read in the class intro but a condensed summary of the possible powers at each tier. Something that gives the reader a general idea of what kind of powers he will encounter when adding a PC from that class to play (as a player or as a DM).

Some powers otherwise come almost as a surprise given how the introductory writeup of each class can only cover the most general points. Learning that a class is a "primal striker" can only tell you so much...

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
The class build paragraphs aren't overview enough?

It's hard to go into greater detail than that seeing as two members of the same class may have drasticly differing methods.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm looking for summaries of your specific powers; text that allows you to get an inkling of what kind of stunts your character of a specific class might pull off.

Without actually having to read through all those powers, that is.

Stuff like a rogue getting to attack everyone with a blinding attack; stuff like fighters getting to spend healing surges on a successful attack...

Abilities that aren't "expected".

No need to say these guys do 2W and 3W damage in a hundred different variations.

I would like to understand the tendencies - what different classes get good at doing.

The itemized nature of 4E makes it very difficult to "grok" a class without actually playing it, and as the DM I would like to have at least a basic understanding of what each class does (does well) at each tier...

I'm sure each class can be described using eight or twelve "tendencies" (on a layer lower than the superficial stuff the class intros give you) - at the very least, WotC must have internal documents like this, or they'll end up with all classes doing everything.

If you have played a class throughout an entire tier, I'm hoping you have pretty much the same knowledge... so please share! :)

Last edited:

Ulthwithian

First Post
Something like 'Avengers never miss'?

I'm not sure, exactly, what you're looking for here that isn't already answered by the roles that people are in.

Perhaps you want better definitions of the roles?

I mean, I can write, "Infernal Warlocks generally get lots of temporary HPs, set things on fire, and shove things much bigger than themselves around," and that'll be generally true, but that might be taken too far.

Or something like, "Rangers of all stripes generate a lot of attack rolls, so crit-reliant feats are better for them than most other classes."

Is this what you want?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The class build paragraphs aren't overview enough?
Those are flavor-based, rather than a description of how the class plays from a mechanical perspective.

For example, a Warlord might include:
  • Your powers can grant bonus melee basic attacks to allies.
... while a Bard could have:
  • Many of your powers slide allies.
... and on a Cleric's list you may find:
  • Your powers can heal a single ally greatly.

Cheers, -- N

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
I'm looking for summaries of your specific powers; text that allows you to get an inkling of what kind of stunts your character of a specific class might pull off.

Without actually having to read through all those powers, that is.

Stuff like a rogue getting to attack everyone with a blinding attack; stuff like fighters getting to spend healing surges on a successful attack...

Abilities that aren't "expected".

No need to say these guys do 2W and 3W damage in a hundred different variations.

I would like to understand the tendencies - what different classes get good at doing.

The itemized nature of 4E makes it very difficult to "grok" a class without actually playing it, and as the DM I would like to have at least a basic understanding of what each class does (does well) at each tier...

I'm sure each class can be described using eight or twelve "tendencies" (on a layer lower than the superficial stuff the class intros give you) - at the very least, WotC must have internal documents like this, or they'll end up with all classes doing everything.

If you have played a class throughout an entire tier, I'm hoping you have pretty much the same knowledge... so please share! :)

I've come to realize that with the exception-based design of 4e, the DM 'rule mastery' of previous editions is impossible. The best I can hope for is to make sure I keep on top of the players' character builds and adapt to their choices.

With 16 classes, each with 2 or 4 builds, many paragon paths and epic destinies, you'd have to break each one down to be able to describe the 'flavour' of that build path effectively.

webrunner

First Post
Defenders

Fighter:
- Can mark anything with an attack, with no penalty for distance, etc. Even tossing a rock counts.
- Any opportunity attack will stop an enemy cold
Builds:
- Battlerager: Gains temp HP on certain attacks, or when hit in melee, as well as gaining HP. The temp hp gaining ("Invigorating") attacks stack. Some bonuses are dependant on being trained in Endurnace
- One-Handed Weapon Talent: hits more with one handed attacks, useful for defending due to the ability to use a shield
- Two handed weapon talent: hits more with two handed weapons: expect big hits
- Tempest Technique: Uses two weapons

Warden:
- Can mark anything around them every turn with no penalties.
- Depending on choices, they might be able to move marked targets away from their allies, or attack them
- It's hard to make a saving throw stick, as they can save at the beginning of the turn as well.
Builds:
- Earth warden: increases it's own AC
- Wild warden: weakens enemies

Paladin:
- Has Channel Divinity
- Has a special mark which targets one person at a time, and requires the target to be engaged
- Radiant damage
- Can heal, limitedly (such as Lay on hands)
- Builds: Str paladins are limited in their choices, so most people take Cha paladin.

Swordmage:
- Can call their weapon
- Has a special mark, depending on build.
- Lots of teleports
- Builds:
Assault: Teleports
Ensarement: Teleports the *target*
Shielding: Reduces damage

Rashak Mani

First Post
I feel the same problem as the topic author. If someone says they will build a Druid... I don't really know what that means in terms of power and group synergy... no idea at all. Its many new classes and books making a simple understanding of the classes styles almost impossible.

TheLordWinter

First Post
I think the style that Webrunner did is really spot on. While you could go into deeper detail, that really nicely covers the basics of what you can expect. I would add the caveat that the paladin's mark damages an enemy, the fighter's provokes basic attacks, to keep it in line with the nice write up of the swordmage's various marks.

Xris Robin

First Post
I disagree, actually. Webrunner just told us the class features. What we're looking for is more of a summary of the class's powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads