• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Class] Tactician (warlord replacement)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Piquet?
Campaigner?

Though really I like Gambit. Doesn't matter if it's not as precise. It's impossible to be both precise, and not bland. A gambit is a type of tactic, it's evocative and has geek-cred, that's about as good as you're going to get.

S

Sunseeker

Piquet?
Campaigner?

Though really I like Gambit. Doesn't matter if it's not as precise. It's impossible to be both precise, and not bland. A gambit is a type of tactic, it's evocative and has geek-cred, that's about as good as you're going to get.

Call it "the Gambit" and this is the only thing that will ever come to people's minds:
Gambit442.jpg

You might as well make a class called "the Batman".

Honestly I think "tactician" is a fine name. But the class needs martial weapon proficiency.

Also I would really like to know why all these attempts at ports keep portraying their psuedo-warlords as some sort of nobility. The 4E warlord was stylistically more akin to a smart barbarian.

mellored

Legend
Also I would really like to know why all these attempts at ports keep portraying their psuedo-warlords as some sort of nobility. The 4E warlord was stylistically more akin to a smart barbarian.
Which background would you of picked?

acolyte has religion
charlatan has slight of hand
criminal has stealth
entertainer has acrobatics
folk hero has animal handling.
guild artisan... is a possibility. Insight and persuasion can work.
hermit is inherently anti-social.
noble is history and persuasion, which fit.
outlander is also anti-social.
sage has arcana.
sailor and soldier have atheltics.
urchin has slight of hand.

So... noble or guild artisan are the only ones i see that fit.

S

Sunseeker

acolyte has religion
criminal has stealth
sage has arcana.

So... noble or guild artisan are the only ones i see that fit.

It's a new class, so why not a new background? In either case, given that I take "warlord" as looking less like a refined gentleman and more of a battlefield commander, I would have gone with outlander. Even soldier is fitting.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
acolyte has religion
Any character can have a religious past/time with an order...maybe even forming the basis of their personal mission to lead others into battle. One Joan of Arc comes to mind.
A "warlord/tactitician" who tries to pass himself off as some great general...and has never seen an actual day of battle in his life.
criminal has stealth
Your time leading that troupe of bandits was a profitable time...your last 5 years in the duke's dungeon before escaping was less so...the duke will paaaay...grrr.
Your an orator. Your battle stories are the stuff of legend. OR Gladiator variant is fairly self-evident.
You're best atop your trusty mount, Jasper the donkey. The common people love you for organizing them against that goblin incursion three springs ago.
You build (or sell) furniture when not called to duty.
You have wandered the wilderness these past 10 years, trying to find yourself and come to peace of your crippling defeat (or massacre of a victory) at the Battle of Greenvale.
Yeah. This is also an obvious fit.
You were a great warlord of your tribe...until...now you try to make your way in realms far distant from your homeland...praying to your gods that you never suffer a defeat like the one that slew all of your people.
sage has arcana.
You are a "wizard" among warlords, studious and thoughtful, preferring your books and histories to, hopefully, avoid wars in preference to unsheathing your sword...or, realistically, an alternative for a samurai instead of the Battlemaster.
You're a legend among mariners or a pirate king/queen, and soldier is self-evident.
Before Captain Castellan took you under his wing and raised/trained you in the ways of war, you made you way living hand to mouth in the gutter. It is a source of much pride, personally, but potential embarrassment, publicly.

See, the thing with 5e classes is, even if you have to tilt your head and squint a bit...a well-designed class should be able take on/handle any background. That's just a matter of backstory for the player to work out.

As for the renaming...following Elfcrusher's thinking of redefining/warping the meaning of existing titles...how about Steward?

"The steward is not the keeper/wielder of power of his own, per se...but holds/wields/oversees the power and effectiveness of others."

Duganson

First Post
The original meaning of 'Herald' is also a worthwhile contender.

Beyond getting bogged down on names I will say I like the base class, Bravada and (mechanically) the Medic. The Captain needs more, IMO, as those weinies aren't going to help much past - what - level 3?

Also its MAD, too much so?

Aldarc

Legend
The original meaning of 'Herald' is also a worthwhile contender.

Beyond getting bogged down on names I will say I like the base class, Bravada and (mechanically) the Medic. The Captain needs more, IMO, as those weinies aren't going to help much past - what - level 3?

Also its MAD, too much so?
I kinda like the name 'Herald,' even with its more messenger connotations, if only because it gets us out of the concentration of W-names: warlock, wizard, warlord.

Remove ads