• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Variant: Spellfire Sorcerous Origin

meMEmeMEme

First Post
Here's my take on the Spellfire as a Sorcerer option. I would be glad to get any ideas on how to make it better and/or more balanced:

Sorcerous Origin: Spellfire
Spellfire is a rare magical power that is highly coveted by many in Faerun. Your innate magic comes from the raw energy of the weave: your spellfire ability allows you to absorb spells, internally convert it to raw magic energy and then use it in a myriad of ways.

Arcane Healing
At 1st level, you add Cure Wounds and Healing Word to your list of known spells. These spells do not count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Raw Magic Armor
Raw magic flows through your body and surfaces on your skin functioning as a protective layer of armor. When you aren’t wearing armor, your AC equals 13 + your Dexterity modifier.

Absorb Magic
Starting at 6th level, you gain the ability to absorb the raw magical energy that fuels spells. Add Counterspell to your list of known spells (if you already have Counterspell on your list of known spells, choose and add another sorcerer spell to your list). Whenever a spell is targeting only you (and not with an area of effect) you can choose to absorb it as you cast Counterspell. If you successfully counter the spell you also absorb the magical energy contained in it. Absorbing a spell allows you to convert its spell level into sorcery points. All sorcery points in excess of your sorcery points maximum for your level are lost within 24h.

Drain Magic Item
At 14th level, you gain the ability to drain the power of magic items. As an action, you can absorb the magical energy of one magic item within 60 feet of you and convert it into sorcery points. The amount of sorcery points you gain is based on the rarity of the item. Consumable magic items (potions, scrolls etc.) are destroyed, but permanent magic itens are rendered inert for 1 day. A creature gets to make a Wisdom saving throw to prevent one of its held or carried items from being drained. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Common items: 1 sorcery point
Uncommon items: 2 sorcery points
Rare items: 3 sorcery points
Very Rare or Legendary items: 4 sorcery points
Artifacts cannot be drained by this ability.

Crown of Fire
Beginning at 18th level, you gain the ability to channel the power of spellfire into a crown of magical might. As an action, you can spend 10 sorcery points to manifest the crown of fire, which appears as a halo of spellfire around your head and provides light equal to a Daylight spell. For 1 minute or until you lose concentration (as if you were casting a concentration spell), you gain magic resistance: you have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. Additionally, you gain resistance against bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons. The crown automatically melts all nonmagical weapons that strike you (after inflicting damage, if any).

BRKNdevil

Explorer
The 14th, while unlikely to be rendered useless by the absence of items, could still be, so i dunno about it. The Crown seems a wee bit op but i haven't read the book series addressing it except the 1st one and I don't know where to look in regards to 3.0 and above on whether or not its like in the series

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads