D&D 5E Classes for the common folk

David Fair

Villager
One of the things I liked about 3e was the inclusion of the NPC classes (Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Warrior -- though I really think they only needed 10 levels...) allowing you to generate stats for important NPCs that made them better than average NPC's but still not at the heroes level. I haven't tried to translate them to 5e yet, but in the interest of not recreating the wheel, is anyone aware of a set of similar classes that another fan has made for 5e?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
My solution to that has been to take the Backgrounds and make those the defining aspects of common folk NPCs. Give them ability scores and 1d4 hit points and they're good to go. I'll give some backgrounds more hit points and weapon/armor proficiencies if it seems appropriate (Soldier, for example, would get 1d8 hit points and some weapons and armor).

What Kiraya said. Between that and the fact that NPCs are built more by monster rules than character rules in 5E, I'm not sure what purpose NPC "classes" would serve, honestly.

If nothing else, you can always take an NPC from the MM--a noble, a priest, a veteran--and raise them by a CR or two, according to monster advancement/creation rules in the DMG. :)

Gadget

Adventurer
I concur with Kiraya above. 3e's obsessive need to model everything under the sun with character creation rules and classes became tiresome over time. The MM has a number of npc type monsters that can do in a pinch (i.e. "bandit"). One thing I really liked about 4e was the ease of NPC creation without the need to use PC rules. Want a local abbot able to heal and resurrect the party, but yet not be an uber adventurer? Bam! done. The ritual magic really helped there as well.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I like the Backgrounds approach because it sort of bridges the PC vs NPC approach. By giving a NPC Race and Background, I can easily upgrade them to a full PC class if, through game play, they stand out or become important.

For example, if I'm improvising an interaction with the local blacksmith and the PCs ask about that arrow shaped scar on his knee and I blurt out that he used to be an adventurer, I can slap a few levels of Fighter on him after the session.

I loved the NPC classes in 3e. It made sense with monsters being built like PCs, but it's less necessary in 4e/5e where monsters return to following their own rules. The differences between a NPC generated by the monster rules and one generated by a theoretical NPC class are largely cosmetic. It's more a matter of formatting.
Since NPCs won't have many abilities or unique powers, they can really be summarized by their ability scores and any skill modifiers they have. That's really all that's necessary. And since they shouldn't gain more at higher levels beyond hitpoints and proficiency, negating the need for a real class.

NPC classes would really only be useful if having the players start as commoners for a few sessions.

costermonger

Villager
Just reskin a monster. I used a planetar to represent my bbeg warrior with divine blessings. Gave me a good melee warrior with spell casting without having to build from scratch.

Remove ads