Classes reaching Tier 4

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
Most of them, with a few being characters that joined at low levels. Few PCs are 'lost' after revivify is available, as that (or purchasing raise dead) is usually available. As long as the desire is there to continue the game and character, once life magic is available, PCs tend to stay in the game. The Half-orc fighter in the first group is also a replacement PC that stepped in somewhere around 5th or 6th level (I think).

However, deaths have been few and far between in 5E. There have been some (Fying aaracockra monk gets hit and taken to 0, crashes for a failed death save and then immediately takes a turn and rolls a 1 on the death save was the most recent death).

These games tend to be a little meaner than the suggested guidelines for encounter construction, but they're far from all deadly encounters like seen in some games.

So which characters didn't start at level 1?

jgsugden

Legend
So which characters didn't start at level 1?
I honestly can't tell you without doing research into old emails. PCs that do not get brought back die in levels 1 to 4, generally, and PCs tend to rocket from 1 to 2 in one session, 2 to 3 in about 2, and 3 and 4 pretty quickly as well.... You're asking me to recall PCs that someone else played for a small number of sessions.

Permanent deaths are extremely rare and most players do not give up on a character in the games I play. They generally play them until the DM stops the game, or the players collectvely decide to switch to another game and the first game ... just ... fades ... away.

Tyler Dunn

Explorer
I honestly can't tell you without doing research into old emails. PCs that do not get brought back die in levels 1 to 4, generally, and PCs tend to rocket from 1 to 2 in one session, 2 to 3 in about 2, and 3 and 4 pretty quickly as well.... You're asking me to recall PCs that someone else played for a small number of sessions.

Permanent deaths are extremely rare and most players do not give up on a character in the games I play. They generally play them until the DM stops the game, or the players collectvely decide to switch to another game and the first game ... just ... fades ... away.

I understand, sorry if my question annoyed you

jgsugden

Legend
I understand, sorry if my question annoyed you
No annoyance... it is just hard to remember all the details. Some of these games that crossed editions are six or seven years old (and older for the DS game). We're talking about small parts of 1500+ hours of 5E gaming...

I have gotten three characters to 20, and four to 18+.

1. My first 18th level character was a moon druid named 'The Muffin Man' who went slowly insane with his power and was retired.
2. My second character to get 4th tier and my first to 20 was a 6 vengeance paladin, 14 dragon sorcerer. Sorcadins are a lot of fun!
3. My third character to hit 4th tier was another moon druid. Tons of fun, those moon druids!
4. My most recent level 20, though he did not start at 1 like the others, is a necromancer wizard.

Remove ads