• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classes with resources feel like usage is too restrained

CapnZapp

Legend
Really? All Adventures in 5E to date feature several if not dozens of 'dungeons' or variants thereof with several encounters packed closely together in nearby locations, separated by a few days of downtime or travel.
I'd love for your characterization to be true, and I would love for the adventure writers to have taken your 6-8 a day guidelines into account, but I simply don't see it.

Official 5E adventures do feature dungeons, but also feature travelling for weeks (if not months), and quite commonly feature what I for want of a better word call "sidetreks" (things not extensive enough to be called a dungeon, that more pertinently does not feature "enough" encounters according to your dogma).

If I didn't know better I would even say some 5E adventure authors doesn't give a crap about the official guidelines. It's almost as if they aren't even aware of them.

The point here is that if you religiously adhere to the DMG advice like it was the ten commandments, you will fail to set up anything resembling a challenge.

You (and I) can obviously make our own adventures that make (reasonably) sure most (if not all) adventure days contain many more encounters than just two or three (if not the "full eight"), but that's beside the point. Beside my point, at any rate - this is about published modules, where somebody else is supposed to have done the hard work for you.

My point is twofold:
a) having to populate your adventures with 6-8 encounter days is a huge drag. Not only in itself, but because the PHB is so exceedingly generous in allowing players to chop one day (that indeed might be challenging) into two absolutely trivial and thus boring ones. It's almost as if the PHB generosity is actively working against you, when all I want (and you too) is to give the players a good time. Both in published and selfmade scenarios.

b) that official adventures doesn't give a damn about these guidelines. They don't follow them. If they end up with an 8 encounter day, it's very hard to not consider that a pure accident. Why? Because they don't do what you claim is so easy - they (almost) never set up any real time constraints. They never show you how to put your precious guideline into practice. You might want to think about why... (Spoiler: Because it's bloody difficult even when you know your party, and quite impossible when you don't, and official adventures certainly don't)

So.

I am quite emphatically concluding that your cherished advice might well be well-meaning, but it is also hugely impractical.

It simply is not good for the game, and needs to go.

And that leads us to something you never adress. Sure you have a point in telling people "this is what you need to do to make the game work".

But you never question whether its any good. You never talk about downsides, and you never talk about alternatives. You really should do that more, Flamestrike.

Thanks for reading,
Zapp

I'd love for your characterization to be true, and I would love for the adventure writers to have taken your 6-8 a day guidelines into account, but I simply don't see it.

Then hold the telescope up to your good eye Lord Nelson!

Official 5E adventures do feature dungeons, but also feature travelling for weeks (if not months), and quite commonly feature what I for want of a better word call "sidetreks" (things not extensive enough to be called a dungeon, that more pertinently does not feature "enough" encounters according to your dogma).

Yeah. Weeks (or even months) of nothing (down time, fast forwarded travel, hanging in town etc) interspersed with short action packed adventuring days usually in something resembling a 'dungeon' featuring around half a dozen encounters.

Soo.. exactly what I was saying.

The point here is that if you religiously adhere to the DMG advice like it was the ten commandments, you will fail to set up anything resembling a challenge.

I do it all the time. Maybe I'm just super awesome or something ;)

We've had this discussion before. A lot. You're ignoring the elephant in the room here. I run published adventures. I run AD+D and 3E adventures, homemade ones and the odd 5E one. I stick to the DMG advice including encounter building, 6-8 encounter AD, 2-3 short rests per long rest etc and I dont fail to set up challenges.

My (experienced) playing group are often challenged. We've had a few deaths.

My point is twofold:
a) having to populate your adventures with 6-8 encounter days is a huge drag. Not only in itself, but because the PHB is so exceedingly generous in allowing players to chop one day (that indeed might be challenging) into two absolutely trivial and thus boring ones.

You dont have to do it all the time. In fact dont do it all the time. That would be boring and not fun.

Aim for a 50 percent mark of roughly 6-8 and 2 short rests. Throw the odd single [deadly] encounter day at them. Throw them in a meat-grinder where they have 2 hours to [do quest] and have a dozen encounters to handle to win. Use a 3 encounter day [but no time for short rests]. Throw them in a gritty adventure where they're is no time for long rests, only the occasional short rest here or there and monsters coming at them from all sides.

Mix it up. Weave that stuff into the story. Takes trial and error, but once you get your settings right, it comes together pretty darn well.

Also, place time constraints on the lions share of your quests. If you dont do it, you're a bad (lazy) DM. Everything the players do they should be doing for a reason, with clear timelines for success and failure. Get home by midnight or you turn into a pumpkin.

Examples (here are 10 you can use, and variations of the first three can be re-used over and over again):

1) NPC has been captured by lizard folk. Needs to be saved by dawn or she get eaten
2) NPC needs PCs to recover macguffin so he can present it to the King on his inauguration at midday tomorrow.
3) BBEG intends to use macguffin to summon powerful demon, destroying the PCs home. Needs to be stopped by midnight or else everyone dies.
4) Rival group of NPC adventurers are after the same macguffin as the PCs. If they get it first, the PCs dont get paid
5) PCs are trapped in a dungeon on a desert island. They know their ship will leave in 3 days time. If they cant escape by then and get to the ship, they'll be marooned.
6) A plague is sweeping the town. The PCs are hired to find a cure before it wipes out the town, recovering 3 ingredients from Darkwood forest.
7) A flying castle of the Dragon lords has appeared out of town. The local mayor hires the PCs to inflitrate it before it flies off and learn its secrets
8) The PCs find themselves in a siege, working through the night to save the keep (HoTDQ anyone?)
9) The PCs are captured and must find the escape before their guards are alerted to their presence.
10) The evil artifact the PCs have found must be destroyed before [time] by throwing it in the fires of the volcano from where it was forged. In addition, servants of its creator are hunting the party making rest difficult.

Your problem is you dont use any of the above, anywhere near often enough. Try it and see how it goes. It enhances verisimilitude, places temporal (in addition to spatial and physical) restrictions and challenges on the party, and makes the game so much more fun.

Imagine if in Star Wars the Death Star was parked on the other side of the Galaxy and just sitting there, and not seconds away from destroying Yavin when it was blown up?

Destroying it was a desperate race against the clock by the heroes. Just like in every other action movie ever made ever.

b) that official adventures doesn't give a damn about these guidelines. They don't follow them.

No, they leave them up to the DM to follow (or not to). They dont push a play style on you.

If you don't care about nova strikes and the 5 minute AD, you can play it that way. If you want a more balanced game, you can enforce the AD and play it that way.

At the end of the day, policing the Adventuring Day is in the hands of the DM taking into account a range of factors that an adventure writer cant.

If they enforced 6-8 encounters on you ad-nauseum we would have a ton more complaints than we do at present. The guys that like the 5 minute AD would be complaining all the time.

As it stands its up to the individual DM (You). If you want the party resting less, thats on you (time limit your quests, make the environments more dangerous, and use 'random' monsters if nothing else). If you want them resting more, thats also on you (you're going too hard on them). If through no fault of their own the party are halfway through the adventure and out of resources (or you just feel like a break from the longer ADs) give them a break for a while.

I am quite emphatically concluding that your cherished advice might well be well-meaning, but it is also hugely impractical.

It simply is not good for the game, and needs to go.

See what I mean? You would be complaining even more if they did force the 6-8 encounter AD in every adventure. Youd be crying out it needs to go, is artificial and breaks verisimilitude.

The designers have said, if you want to enforce it (and preserve balance) use it. If you don't care about balance as much, don't.

Most adventures published have it built in via a soft approach [periods of nothing, the odd single encounter, followed by 6ish encounters all in a row in a dungeon somewhere, rinse and repeat]. They leave it in the hands of the DM to decide how much he wants to police the AD within that paragigm.

You complain they dont do it for you, but I hazard a guess if they did do it for you, you would complain that they dont let you (as DM) decide for yourself how to run your games, and what style of game you want.

But you never question whether its any good. You never talk about downsides, and you never talk about alternatives. You really should do that more, Flamestrike.

This is actually a good point. Personally (as a design decision) I find it a mixed bag. They've left it in the hands of DMs to decide (in accordance with their whole policy this edition of DM empowerment and being all things to all people).

I would have preferred a resource management system that is more aligned (all classes have more or less even number of short and long rest abilities, meaning that all classes are evenly advantaged or disadvantaged by changing up the number and frequency or rests and encounters).

I can see why they went the way they did. They tried the above method last edition via the encounter/ daily/ at will thing, and it wasn't well received. Enough people loudly complained it felt to 'samey'.

That said the big strength of the current resource management/ encounter paradigm is it provides the DM the ability to dial up the number of encounters and add more short rests (if he wants to favor short rest classes) or dial the number down (if he wants to give long rest classes a leg up). This is a useful tool IMO, as it lets a DM tweak any imbalanced he finds to suit his personal taste.

It requires a little finesse to get your settings right, but at least the system provides the tools for an individual DM to adjust the [encounter/ resource management/ class balance] meta to suit his own and his groups preferences by simply turning a few dials [adding or removing encounters, and adding, lengthening, shortening or removing rests].

The difficulty is, getting the sweet spot. It requires a little trial and error, but the rewards are worth it.

Think of the game as a stereo. You want your stereo with fixed factory presets of 'this is how it is', or do you want the ability to dial it into your own preferences?

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
No, they leave them up to the DM to follow (or not to). They dont push a play style on you.

If you don't care about nova strikes and the 5 minute AD, you can play it that way. If you want a more balanced game, you can enforce the AD and play it that way.

At the end of the day, policing the Adventuring Day is in the hands of the DM taking into account a range of factors that an adventure writer cant.
This is the problem right here.

You are far too accepting of how modules leave a lot of hard work up to the DM, compared to me. And before you start, remember, I am not telling you what to think, I am telling you you're passing along an assumption far too breezily, making things out to be much easier than they really are.

The way you're selling this reminds me of one of those silly infomercials where the salesperson just happens to pull a perfectly baked dish out the oven with no or little preparation. They're not selling a lie, exactly, but they sure as hell aren't giving fair representation of the work that went into that dish either.

Had you merely stated you feel it's easy to meet the 6-8 expectation, we would not be having these conversations. You can think whatever you want about this yourself, but you aren't getting away with "just add encounters" as if that's either quick or easy.

---

You're basically admitting I am right here, that published adventures don't set up "proper" 6-8 adventure days.

You even try to spin this as something good, by your sudden concern for the five minute workday crews. I don't buy it of course - we both know there's no challenge if you run weak published encounters against an always-fresh party. (That's my entire beef, btw).

If the books is going to make an assumption, I'll be damned if the books aren't also going to have to do the work to make that assumption come true.

Spin however much you want, you can't escape the fact that the game is making an assumption it doesn't enforce. It doesn't even help the DM much. That's just bad game design.

As for the rest of your post, you're just reiterating "good advice" for my own encounters. But you've already done that, Flamestrike. And what's more, I'm not talking about my own encounters, and you know that too!

This is the problem right here.

You are far too accepting of how modules leave a lot of hard work up to the DM, compared to me. And before you start, remember, I am not telling you what to think, I am telling you you're passing along an assumption far too breezily, making things out to be much easier than they really are.

The way you're selling this reminds me of one of those silly infomercials where the salesperson just happens to pull a perfectly baked dish out the oven with no or little preparation. They're not selling a lie, exactly, but they sure as hell aren't giving fair representation of the work that went into that dish either.

Had you merely stated you feel it's easy to meet the 6-8 expectation, we would not be having these conversations. You can think whatever you want about this yourself, but you aren't getting away with "just add encounters" as if that's either quick or easy.

---

You're basically admitting I am right here, that published adventures don't set up "proper" 6-8 adventure days.

You even try to spin this as something good, by your sudden concern for the five minute workday crews. I don't buy it of course - we both know there's no challenge if you run weak published encounters against an always-fresh party. (That's my entire beef, btw).

If the books is going to make an assumption, I'll be damned if the books aren't also going to have to do the work to make that assumption come true.

Spin however much you want, you can't escape the fact that the game is making an assumption it doesn't enforce. It doesn't even help the DM much. That's just bad game design.

As for the rest of your post, you're just reiterating "good advice" for my own encounters. But you've already done that, Flamestrike. And what's more, I'm not talking about my own encounters, and you know that too!

Would you prefer it if it enforced it for you? Like if adventures made PCs deal with 6-8 encounters before resting, and took adventure pacing out of the DMs hands?

How long before your players started eye rolling with 'here we go again'?

Isnt it better for the DM sitting at the table running the adventure to make the call on rests and encounters having regards to the party composition he has before him, and not have it rammed down your throat?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Would you prefer it if it enforced it for you? Like if adventures made PCs deal with 6-8 encounters before resting, and took adventure pacing out of the DMs hands?
I think the idea is that the system should 'enforce' it. I'd think the best it could do - short of something like the 13A paradigm of the 'full heal up' after a fixed number of encounters - is provide incentives to 'press on' rather than making the 5MWD unambiguously optimal in the absence of DM-imposed time pressure.

It's not, IMHO, an idea that's compatible with 5e's DM-Empowerment philosophy, though.

I think the idea is that the system should 'enforce' it. I'd think the best it could do - short of something like the 13A paradigm of the 'full heal up' after a fixed number of encounters - is provide incentives to 'press on' rather than making the 5MWD unambiguously optimal in the absence of DM-imposed time pressure.

It's not, IMHO, an idea that's compatible with 5e's DM-Empowerment philosophy, though.

Yeah, a milestone resource refresh would have been a nice option.

Im not sure I would have wanted it in there as the default though, and it brings us back to the issue of 'samey-ness + gamey-ness' that plagued 4E (the ugly stepchild of the many editions).

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I only play the published adventures for 5e and I don't find it takes any work to have adventuring days of 6-8 encounters with a couple short rests.

They're right there.

CapnZapp

Legend

How long before your players started eye rolling with 'here we go again'?

Isnt it better for the DM sitting at the table running the adventure to make the call on rests and encounters having regards to the party composition he has before him, and not have it rammed down your throat?
Look, Flamestrike, I don't claim to have all the solutions. I'm just asking you to expand your advice and recommendations beyond serving up one particular solution in such an uncritical positive light.

Best regards,
Zapp

PS. As for actual answers to your questions, I'm pretty sure I've covered my preferred solutions already, so I won't waste your time repeating them. DS.

Look, Flamestrike, I don't claim to have all the solutions.

That's not very helpful though mate.

You kinda bemoaned the lack of a milestone resource replenishment system or published modules locking you into a 6-8 encounter AD, yet in the same breath infer that you wouldn't want the game to rely on either system.

At present, 5E uses a series of dials (letting you fine tune class and encounter balance by messing with the number of encounters and frequency of rests, even on a session by session basis), provides a number of other options (varying rests by lengthening or shortening them) and even provides some limited advice on the 'adventuring day', It then hands the keys to the shop over to the DM to play around with the above.

I admit the DMG missed the boat here, and could have spelled out what we all know via experience and reading over the game as a whole;

1) DnD is (at its core) a resource management game, and
2) Different classes use different resource recovery methods (some are short rest focused, and some are long rest focused), and thus different classes gain different benefits from longer (or shorter) adventuring days and from more (or less) rests, and
3) This 'adventuring day' paradigm as a whole impacts on encounter difficulty and class balance depending on the number and frequency of the encounters and rests you (as the DM) permit.

To put it a simpler way, short rest classes gain more benefits from more short rests (they are expected to get 2-3 per long rest). Long rest classes are at their peak when dealing with only the single encounter per long rest. The more encounters between long rests, the more they have to ration those resources (which are expected to last them 6-8 encounters). Classes that are resource neutral like the Rogue are generally OK either way, on both longer and shorter days, and gain little (barring healing) from resting (Arcane trickster being the exception).

Once you accept the above as being true (and it is), you can then (as DM) tweak class and encounter balance, not by nerfing or buffing classes, or extensive rules changes, but simply by policing the adventuring day (adding or subtracting encounters to your adventuring day, or adding or subtracting long or short rests) to suit your own preferences and taste.

If your party fighter is getting left behind in the dust by the casters, use your prerogative to add more short rest opportunities and more encounters between long rests for a while. If the inverse is true, do the opposite. This way you can ensure every PC has a chance to shine, and balance is maintained in a natural and not forced 'you must finish this amount of encounters to ride the rollercoaster' way.

If done right you retain the variety of different adventuring days of different lengths (some one encounter, some featuring a dozen), ensure overall class balance (some days favor some classes, and some days favor others), keeping all classes unique and maintaining encounter balance, while avoiding the same-ness that plagued 4E.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Look, Flamestrike, I don't claim to have all the solutions. I'm just asking you to expand your advice and recommendations beyond serving up one particular solution in such an uncritical positive light.
Not a single solution, but a whole methodology that a sufficiently capable DM can use to shape his campaign the way he likes (hopefully to the delight of his players). It's no different than trying to tackle the same issues in 3e, it's just less likely your players will fight you on it. ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads