• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classes you're hoping WotC will create

Tony Vargas

Legend
As few new classes as possible please and thank you.
If you like, you can ban any redundant classes: Paladin (could be just Fighter/Cleric), Ranger (fighter/rogue/druid(cleric) Outlander background), Sorcerer (Wizard), Warlock (Wizard), Druid (Cleric Nature domain), Bard (Wizard/Rogue Entertainer background), Barbarian (Fighter Barbarian background), Monk (Fighter Mystic Background, unarmed combat style), etc.

As few classes as possible would probably be 3.

fantasybandcamp

First Post
I'm that crazy person who loved Incarnum, and I would love to see it make a comeback. The idea of binding this energy to your chakras and creating these temporary items to hound your enemies; it was just really cool to me.

Edit: But of course I could take these as subclasses. Though I feel like at least one new class, one focused Incarnum user, would be nice with subclasses for the other classes that give them some essentia to work with.

S

Sunseeker

I'm actually hoping that before Wizards releases new classes, they'll release new subclasses. Most of the classes beyond what we have are going to be variants/combinations of existing classes, so why not just approach them from that angle and make them new options for existing classes?

exile

First Post
I am generally in favor of seeing new subclasses before seeing new classes. That said, I agree with many of the above posters that there should be a psionicist class. There should be psionic subclasses for telepaths, telekinetics, teleporters, etc. Psionics should be its own power source, discrete from arcane and divine magic. This is all, of course, simply my opinion.

If you like, you can ban any redundant classes: Paladin (could be just Fighter/Cleric), Ranger (fighter/rogue/druid(cleric) Outlander background), Sorcerer (Wizard), Warlock (Wizard), Druid (Cleric Nature domain), Bard (Wizard/Rogue Entertainer background), Barbarian (Fighter Barbarian background), Monk (Fighter Mystic Background, unarmed combat style), etc.

As few classes as possible would probably be 3.
DragonAge does quite well with three classes. I probably won't go quite *that* far.

A lot of the hybrid classes get grandfathered in. They're really part of the assumptions of fantasy RPGs and variants are in most games. When the tropes are older than I am it's harder to dump them without a good in-world reason.
New classes tend to be less iconic and archtypal and more... thrown together. I'm less a fan of classes that exist for a mechanical niche, filling a role the existing classes (or execution of an archetype) don't fill well, or with some new mechanic. Or that bring a lot of new story assumptions with them. We don't need two or three new classes with every accessory.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads