• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Classic Monsters - Retired Roll Call?

dave2008

Legend
I don't know about official adventures, but I probably use only 1/10th (if that) of the 5e monsters available and none of the ones in the OP list. In fact, in my 35+ years of playing D&D I have only ever used two of those (carrion crawler and marilith) and they were both in 4e. So I guess they were never very "iconic" for us!

I run almost entirely prewritten adventures. None of these creatures have shown up.
But one assumes you are selecting adventures to suit your taste. Beholders are a dime a dozen in every high level WotC adventure, I'm seeing far more aboleths in 5e than I ever saw in earlier editions despite them being around since the year dot. Displacer beasts feature in Wild Beyond the Witchlight and the movie, There are carrion crawlers, mind flayers, mimics, gelatinous cubes, and potentially a tarrasque in Rime of the Frostmaiden. I could go on.

Yeah, was playing with my son recently and crestfallen when I had to explain to him what a shrieker was.

But overall, D&D has sooo many monsters that you'll never encounter even a quarter of them within the life of a single campaign.
Yeah, shriekers (and purple fungi) are something I haven't seen much of lately. I used them in one of the first adventures I ran in 5e, but didn't get any recognition from the players. I blame Matt Mercer!

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
There are carrion crawlers, mind flayers, mimics, gelatinous cubes, and potentially a tarrasque in Rime of the Frostmaiden. I could go on.
Well I know @Retreater has at least attempted to run Rime. They think it is one of the worst 5e adventures. So maybe their distaste for the adventure is clouding their memory about the monsters included in official D&D adventures. Or those monsters appear in a part they didn't run? Otherwise this doesn't make sense:

I run almost entirely prewritten adventures. None of these creatures have shown up.

Retreater

Legend
Well I know @Retreater has at least attempted to run Rime. They think it is one of the worst 5e adventures. So maybe their distaste for the adventure is clouding their memory about the monsters included in official D&D adventures. Or those monsters appear in a part they didn't run? Otherwise this doesn't make sense:
My wife didn't play that adventure and was fortunately spared the experience.
The only one I remember seeing was the
baby gnome mind flayer, which I changed to normal mind flayers
. We abandoned it before the much celebrated "scroll of tarrasque summoning."

The carrion crawlers are outside (escaped from) the nautaloid. There are mimics and gelatinous cubes in Ythrin.

It's pretty normal for players not to encounter ALL the monsters that are in an adventure,

I find Rime and interesting case: some people love this adventure and some people hate it. It seems to be a prime example of the impossibility of adventure design. You can’t accommodate everyone’s taste or style.

Retreater

Legend
I find Rime and interesting case: some people love this adventure and some people hate it. It seems to be a prime example of the impossibility of adventure design. You can’t accommodate everyone’s taste or style.
Yeah. Most early reviews were positive as is typical - likely based on a flip through. Some others were positive online. The people I know personally IRL who have run it hated it.
Doing a deep dive into it over coffee/bourbon/cigars (or whatever), we could really pull apart its problems.
One DM has sworn off WotC adventures altogether after it. And he is likely quitting 5e too.

T
Yeah. Most early reviews were positive as is typical - likely based on a flip through. Some others were positive online. The people I know personally IRL who have run it hated it.
Doing a deep dive into it over coffee/bourbon/cigars (or whatever), we could really pull apart its problems.
One DM has sworn off WotC adventures altogether after it. And he is likely quitting 5e too.
There is someone on these boards who has run and thinks it is the best 5e adventure. I have actually heard quite a few good things about from people here that have run it. I have also heard about problems with it, but you’re the only one I’ve seen truly trash it. That is what I mean: this one adventure turns some people off WotC adventure and others to think it is try best ever. The range is just shocking.

Remove ads