• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classic or just plain brilliant adventures/modules

Nebulous

Legend
Less fortunately, I have also run Sunless Citadel, Keep on the Shadowfell, Thunderspire Labyrinth, others...all where OK, each had some good stuff in them, but certainly not great.

[/url]

Out of the lower tier 4e adventures, i thought Thunderspire Labyrinth was pretty awesome myself. I'm actually going to borrow the Seven Pillared Hall maps and encounters and reskin them for 5e.

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
I'll throw another vote at Red Hand of Doom.

Castle Ravenloft takes a little bit of work (I'm still unclear on how K31a ties in with... well, anything), but can make for an amazing experience. The Expedition to... also seems good, but I haven't run it.

I was also a huge fan of Dragon Mountain, but I might be in the minority on that. :p

Jaracove

First Post
Can't wait to get my feet wet with these

I've not bought 5ed but hopefully soon. Not sure if I'll use FR or Greyhawk, my own setting (basically make it up as you go along) or maybe WotC will bring some campaign out

Jaracove

First Post
What about the following

Castle of the Mad Archmage
Lesserton and Mor
Night of the Walking Dead
Stonehell Dungeon
The Lost City of Barrakhus
Barrowmaze

Nebulous

Legend
Can't wait to get my feet wet with these

I've not bought 5ed but hopefully soon. Not sure if I'll use FR or Greyhawk, my own setting (basically make it up as you go along) or maybe WotC will bring some campaign out

If you don't really have a preference, there are as dozens and dozens of settings to pick from as well. I always liked the original Forgotten Realms little gray box, and the updated 3rd edition FR hardback.

But there are so many more, like Scarred Lands, or the Pathfinder world, it goes on and on and on.

I wouldn't necessarily wait for WotC to do one, it could be a while, and might not be what you're looking for.

Joe Liker

First Post
Against the Giants (G1-3) isn't mind-blowing in its plot, but it's an amazingly well-crafted set of "assault the enemy stronghold" scenarios.

I've always considered it a benchmark in design for that sort of adventure.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
The original Ravenloft can be awesome if you can get it to work properly. Here's some advice on running it (DMs only):
[sblock]So here's ideally how it goes.

Prologue: The PCs explore the creepy town, building up the atmosphere. They meet the dead mayor and his alive kids, maybe taking them on the adventure. They see the fortune teller and make good note of what she says.
Act 1: They go into the castle, Strahd finds them, nearly TPKs them, and bounces before they do any real damage to him.
Act 2: They quest for the sun sword, find it, fight Strahd again, and defeat him. Strahd turns to mist and goes down to the crypts.
Act 3: They rush down into the catacombs to finish Strahd before he regenerates.
Epilogue: The girl dies and Strahd's brother comes back to life or whatever.

Obviously hijinx will ensue, but try to keep it as short as possible. There's enough content for 3-4 sessions, but the story doesn't last that long, so shoot for 1 or 2. The castle is so big they won't see it all in one playthru. One way to keep up the pace is to announce a specific real-life time when Strahd will attack.

You can probably use the vampire mage from the Monster Manual, but make sure he has dimension door, cloud kill, and wall of fire. Consider giving him more powerful "legendary" effects the closer he is to his crypt. You might have to run a few playtest encounters to make sure you have the danger right.[/sblock]

The only other published adventure I've run so successfully is Bastion of the Boglings. It's just a well designed, well presented, classic dungeon crawl that's easy to customize (DMs only): http://content108.wuala.com/rawcont...20–%20The%20Bastion%20of%20the%20Boglings.pdf

Remove ads