• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Classic or just plain brilliant adventures/modules

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I was going to run 1e Ravenloft with the 5e conversion notes, but is there a reason to run 3.5 instead? I'm sure it is longer and more involved, but better?

Edit: note that i do find a certain satisfaction in playing a classic module from the early 1980s. But i'm open to suggestions.

In my 3.5 campaign, I ran Ravenloft mostly converted from the 1e edition but with a few encounters added in from the 3.5 Expedition version as well. I think the 3.5 version is a bit too much to run as is - between additions of zombie plagues, demons, warlocks, and a variety of other encounters, it serves better as a department store from which to pick the encounters you want to give Ravenloft the character you want to give it.

Nebulous

Legend
In my 3.5 campaign, I ran Ravenloft mostly converted from the 1e edition but with a few encounters added in from the 3.5 Expedition version as well. I think the 3.5 version is a bit too much to run as is - between additions of zombie plagues, demons, warlocks, and a variety of other encounters, it serves better as a department store from which to pick the encounters you want to give Ravenloft the character you want to give it.

That's actually exactly what i was thinking. Just pull a few ideas and maps from it and supplement the original. I don't really want Raveloft to stretch out for 3 or 4 months, which is what would happen if i ran Expedition in its entirety.

Meliath1742

First Post
Yup...I removed Strahd's ties to the land and tried to stick with a simpler version. I did use the zombie incursion as part of the main story but removed some of the new npcs that had moved into the castle (the necromancer, warlocks). Madam Eva plays a big part in that she actually wants to see the group eliminate Strahd. She just performed an "ancient Vistani ritual" to bring the barbarian back to life...but there will be side effects ;-)

Keldryn

Adventurer
I'll add yet another recommendation for B10 Night's Dark Terror. And yes, it does work best if you use its setting rather than trying to make it fit elsewhere.

Also N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God, B7 Rahaisia, and the U1-3 series. And UK4 When a Star Falls.

Haven't seen this one here yet, but my group liked it and I enjoyed running it: DD2: The Sinister Spire (2007). It's a mini-sandbox based around a creepy town in the underdark, controlled by a neutral-aligned undead information broker. It came right at the very end of 3.5, just a couple months before 4E was announced, so I don't think many folks bought it or played it.

PS: I always kind of thought "classic" meant it was something common to the community, an adventure we'd all played. On this basis, Keep on the Shadowfell is certainly a "classic", but that doesn't mean it's not a pretty forgettable experience.

meomwt

First Post
PS: I always kind of thought "classic" meant it was something common to the community, an adventure we'd all played. On this basis, Keep on the Shadowfell is certainly a "classic", but that doesn't mean it's not a pretty forgettable experience.

Keep in the Shadowfell is certainly a clunker as written, but somewhere out on the interwebs is a document which puts a lot of role-playing back into the game, and adds background to the nearby village.

I did some work on it when the second or third D&D Next Playtest Package was released, but we never got round to playtesting and using them. I might have to root it out and use it as a starter adventure. Perhaps.

MrBookWyrm

First Post
I rather like the old WOTC games day adventures . they are short and sweet. one I'AM RUNNING NOW IS THE 2006 D&D worldwide games day adventure CURSE OF GETHIN ABBEY.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads