Classics of Fantasy

Morkul

First Post
i didnt dig the William Morris stuff at all. my pantheon goes more like this:

Titus Groan, Gormenghast- Mervyn Peake
A Voyage to Arcturus- David Lindsay
The Worm Ouroboros- E. R. Eddison
Gather, Darkness!- Fritz Leiber
A Canticle For Leibowitz- Walter M. Miller Jr.
Goblin Market- Christina Rossetti
The Charwoman's Shadow, the King of Elfland's Daughter- Lord Dunsany
The Last Unicorn- Peter S. Beagle
Dwellers in the Mirage- A. Merritt
The Mabinogion
Njal's Saga
Frankenstein- Mary Shelley
A Boy and His Dog- Harlan Ellison
Lord of Light- Roger Zelazny
Dune, Dune Messiah- Frank Herbert
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath- H. P. Lovecraft

i rate Tolkein, William Morris, Clark Ashton Smith and George MacDonald below these...

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm necroing this thread again to ask if anyone has current, working links to these columns. All the ones above just take me to the general novels page, which makes no mention of this column ever having existed, and an admittedly quick look through the (unforgivably, non-searchable) archives didn't turn them up either.

Nooooooo!

Morkul

First Post
Hobberdy Dick
The Hobbit
The Books of Wonder
Tales of Averoigne
The Book of Three Dragons
Watership Down
The Night Land
The Face in the Frost
A Wizard of Earthsea
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
The Worm Ouroboros
Bridge of Birds
A Voyage to Arcturus
Silverlock
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Collected Ghost Stories
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld
The Well at the World's End<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

never heard of some of these. Bridge of Birds has no business being on this list. it was good, but not great. there was a book from around that time called Little, Big by John Crowley that was much better...

for those interested in classic fantasy, there was a series put our by Ballantine (1969-1972 or so) called the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series, all paperbacks with amazing glossy wraparound covers...

i have been going thru the sci-fi/fantasy sections of local used book stores for many years, picking out the oldest books they have. not only are they cheaper, but the overall design of older books is much more appealing to me. about seven or eight years ago, i came across the Ballantine Adult Fantasy paperbacks The Blue Star by Fletcher Pratt and A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay. needless to say, i have been collecting that series ever since. i have 30 or so of them at this time, including some of the books on this list...

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
You know, one of my favorite things about those Fafhrd and Mouser collections were the Mike Mignola covers. I'm going to have to go dig those up again!

Remove ads