• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classifying undead

dragonier

Community Supporter
I hope someone can help me. I recall seeing a discussion on the boards a few months back about undead and a very interesting way of classifying them. As I recall, it grouped the various undead into 4 categories: blood, bone, flesh, and spirit. It discussed the different categories and their implications. I've tried searching the forums, but I'm having no luck narrowing the search down.

Does anyone recall seeing this thread? Can anyone point me to it?

Thanks in advance.

The Edge

First Post
Afriad I can't help with the thread, but I've had thoughts about classifying undead that I've never been able to quite pin down. They're prety much like 'evil constructs'. If an undead is an animated corpse useing negative energy, then what happens if you use negative energy for any other golem or construct? Or what about useing standard constuct techniques on a skeleton or such?

In my current campain I've set up a air of ignorance surounding necromancy, and what it is exactly, even amoungst practicers. Unfortunately thats got my players more interested in the concept, and I don't yet have much for them to discover.

Anything on this general theme would be interesting.

GreatLemur

Explorer
dragonier said:
I hope someone can help me. I recall seeing a discussion on the boards a few months back about undead and a very interesting way of classifying them. As I recall, it grouped the various undead into 4 categories: blood, bone, flesh, and spirit. It discussed the different categories and their implications. I've tried searching the forums, but I'm having no luck narrowing the search down.

Does anyone recall seeing this thread? Can anyone point me to it?
Looks like it's part of the Immortals Handbook project which I've seen but don't really know anything about. I'm not really sure where the most detailed discussion of the blood-bone-flesh-spirit thing was posted, though.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I use three basic categories: Corporeal (ghouls, wights, zombies), Skeletal (skeletons, liches), and Incorporeal (shadows, spectres, wraiths)

dragonier

Community Supporter
GreatLemur said:
Looks like it's part of the Immortals Handbook project which I've seen but don't really know anything about. I'm not really sure where the most detailed discussion of the blood-bone-flesh-spirit thing was posted, though.
Ah, yeah, I see it in there. Just enough to tease me with it too! Thanks for sharing the link. I'm rather taken with the whole blood-bone-flesh-spirit idea, though I suspect I would separate the different undead into those categories in not quite the same way as they have.

Again, thanks!

GreatLemur

Explorer
el-remmen said:
I use three basic categories: Corporeal (ghouls, wights, zombies), Skeletal (skeletons, liches), and Incorporeal (shadows, spectres, wraiths)
I'd think the most logical way to split them up would be bodies without souls (zombies, skeletons), souls without bodies (shadows, spectres, wraiths), and those who have both, but are dead anyway (ghouls, wights, liches). Hell, when you think about it, there's enough difference between a zombie and a wraith that they don't even come close to belonging in the same creature type.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
GreatLemur said:
I'd think the most logical way to split them up would be bodies without souls (zombies, skeletons), souls without bodies (shadows, spectres, wraiths), and those who have both, but are dead anyway (ghouls, wights, liches). Hell, when you think about it, there's enough difference between a zombie and a wraith that they don't even come close to belonging in the same creature type.

Which is the BIG problem with favoured enemy Undead - it means I can target skeletons, vampires, wraiths, nightshades and Devourers. A hugely disparate group with very little in common

Personally I divide undead from negative energy creatures (shadows, nightshades, devourers etc) and would love to see a new creature type 'Anima' which includes the energy creatures (plus elementals, Xeg-yi(sp) and sentient AI)

As for the remianing undead I take the view that living things are comprised of body, soul and spirit. Undead loose on of these
Bodiless - ghost etc
Soulless - Vampire, Ghouls, Liche
Spiritless - Skeletons, Zombies

Kerrick

First Post
Len Lakofka (old author, used to write in the 1E/2E era) had a netbook of undead floating around the web for awhile... he classified them as Mindless, Free-willed (Corporeal and incorproreal), and something else, IIRC. It's been several years since I had that one, but you might still be able to find it somewhere. The book had all kinds of ecology info in it - it was kind of interesting.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
GreatLemur said:
I'd think the most logical way to split them up . . .

Well, my categories are based on physical properties alone.

Do they have a body?

No? Then non-corporeal.

Yes? Is it bony?

No? Then it is corporeal.

Yes? Then it is skeletal.

I also use these distinctions for ranger favored enemy when you choose undead.

Remove ads