• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric activating healing surges for undead allies?

mostholy2

First Post
I'm reading through the 4.0 MM and it mentions that all monsters have healing surges based on their lvl, but don't often have abilities to activate the healing surges (and are thus not printed as part of the monster description).

However, if an ally has the warlord or cleric template applied to it, the healing word and inspiring word abilities allow the monsters to use their healing surges. I have not found anywhere that undead cannot also benefit from a cleric using healing word on them to allow them to use their healing surges.

In 4.0 can an undead's healing surges be used if activated by an ally's healing word ability?

I'm reading through the 4.0 MM and it mentions that all monsters have healing surges based on their lvl, but don't often have abilities to activate the healing surges (and are thus not printed as part of the monster description).

However, if an ally has the warlord or cleric template applied to it, the healing word and inspiring word abilities allow the monsters to use their healing surges. I have not found anywhere that undead cannot also benefit from a cleric using healing word on them to allow them to use their healing surges.

In 4.0 can an undead's healing surges be used if activated by an ally's healing word ability?

In 4e, undead don't convert necrotic damage into healing, nor do they take damage from healing abilities. They can even take necrotic damage, although they usually have resistance to it. So (by RAW) there's no reason why healing word won't work on an undead.

Of course, DMs can always tweak rules to suit their campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads