• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

cleric alt. feature (balanced?) and help on character request

drexes

First Post
Originally I was looking for a feat or something to accomplish this and I honestly thought I had read it somewhere but alas I cannot find hide no hair of it so I cam eup with these to ideas for clerics. One is a feat and one would be an alternate class feature, both accomplish the same thing in a way, getting lay on hands for a cleric.

The first is in the line of the classes stack for certain features style feats. Make a feat that requires the lay an hands class ability and cleric level 4. The benefit would then be that cleric levels and paladin levels stack for purposes of determining lay on hands healing ability. It's alot like the ascetic knight or the new feats in complete scoundrel, though it may be limited...I dunno...

The second would be to have a cleric forego one of his two domains ( including the spell list and its ability) and in its place gain the lay on hands ability of a paladin. Again it seems okay, but part of me thinks it would be weak.

Now for the honest reason I'm doing this, cuz you know it's not just boredom, I'm totally fishing here. In the new campaign I'll be playing in I have decided to play the cleric. I have played D&D since, well forever, and I have never really played a cleric that I can think of, pretty wierd eh? So I decided I needed to do it, and to that end I decided to play a cleric of one of our homebrew gods who is the lawful neutral god of truth, pain, fire, and vengeance. Then I read the Gray Guard from Complete Scoundrel and thought that the prestige class there could work really well. Now I want them to mesh. If I can't work that out, then oh well, concept over construct any day, but why settle if you can do both right?

BTW, we don't really do the whole lawful good only paladin thing, paladins must match the alignment of their deity exactly, and their codes of conduct differ based upon deity...

So come on gimme your opinions

trav_laney

First Post
drexes said:
The second would be to have a cleric forego one of his two domains ( including the spell list and its ability) and in its place gain the lay on hands ability of a paladin. Again it seems okay, but part of me thinks it would be weak.
I think it would be in your best interest to take 3 or 4 levels of paladin, and then take levels of cleric. It would be a lot easier to build a feat that would let you stack your levels of paladin with cleric for the purposes of the Laying of Hands ability, than to rebuild the entire core class around it. Something like this:

Healing Touch [General]
Prerequisites: Laying of Hands ability, access to the healing domain
Benefit: you add your levels of cleric to your levels of paladin, for the purposes of your Laying of Hands ability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads