• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric changes explained (Podcast)

BobTheNob

First Post
I think they went too far with the cleric errata but the podcast is a good explanation and good effort to communicate.

I agree with the idea of cutting down massive close blasts (and I appreciate what they said about large blasts removing the need for tactical movement/placement). But I still reckon they overreacted as CB2 is trivial at high paragon/ epic large scale fights with large enemies

Why dont they make turn undead a blast rather than close burst?
I agree close burst 2 is pretty small, and it means for your Wisdom cleric, they would really need to put themselves in harms way to get any benefit. I think the power is at the power level that its encounter status demands, but perhaps a different delivery vector isnt out of order.

Mind you, what about the Pelor channel divinity (cant remember what its called). If turn undead needed a nerf, it certainly did as well.

Mummolus

First Post
What do you mean by "starting the process"?
The fighter and warlord have already been done, unless you are saying that the warlord is going to be errated again on top of the marshall set of erratas the other month?
It was a poor choice of words on my part, but basically irrelevant to the larger point anyways. If they were looking for classes to nerf, the cleric should have been much lower on the list.

Marshall

First Post
What do you mean by "starting the process"?
The fighter and warlord have already been done, unless you are saying that the warlord is going to be errated again on top of the marshall set of erratas the other month?

"Starting the process" is the correct phrase. Fighter and Warlord got minor tweaks and obvious wording corrections, cleric got taken out back and shot.
The only real possible defense for this imbalance of effort is that these columns are essentially(lol) PHB errata and most of the Warlord/Fighter power comes from MP 1&2. None of the truly questionable Cleric powers from DP got looked at in this listing.

CB2 makes TU worthless, it should be 3 in Heroic and 5 in paragon and scale up to 4d10 damage. By the time it gets to 4d10, all at-wills are 2dice.

Chzbro

First Post
1. The warlord can do more damage at-will by granting an ally a basic attack than the cleric can do with any of the encounter powers that were nerfed.

I don't disagree this can be true, but it depends completely upon the party. My warlord trained out of such powers because the battlemind, charisma paladin, ardent, and wizard he runs with are useless for MBAs.

I'm not arguing that some warlords (maybe even most) have more effective at-wills than their cleric bretheren, but I don't think it's a universal truth. The effectiveness of the warlord in many cases is dependent upon the effectiveness of his friends; clerics don't have that "limitation."

Talok

First Post
All the cleric players out there might as well retrain their PC's to warpriests or warlords now. Way to nerf a core class into oblivion WotC. Your massive rules updates really need to be reined in.

Abraxas

Explorer
You know, if your group thinks the errata is overdone, you can just ignore it.
While this is true, it's still annoying to have to correct the character sheet/power cards created by the CB.

I wish the CB was set up so that errata could be toggled on/off or so that powers could be customized before printing a character sheet.

Kinneus

Explorer
You know, if your group thinks the errata is overdone, you can just ignore it.
Eh, this is easier said then done, I think. Does WOTC keep a 'backlog' of errata changes anywhere? Could I really get "Cleric Rules Circa July 2010" from Wizards if I really wanted it?

I think you're expected to play by WOTC's rules, or else you're in for a lot of research and a massive headache. I disagree with eratta sometimes, but I've always found it easier to just swallow the bitter pill and keep using the Character Builder.

Then again, I may just be lazy.

Chzbro

First Post
All the cleric players out there might as well retrain their PC's to warpriests or warlords now. Way to nerf a core class into oblivion WotC. Your massive rules updates really need to be reined in.

Did I somehow get routed to the World of Warcraft boards?

Remove ads