• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric help...

Hey gang. We started a new campaign this last Saturday at our local library and I think I need some advice.

I decided to play a Half-Elf BattleCleric. Problem is, after we actually started the session, some "surprise" rules were put into effect, with no discussion about them with the group beforehand:

1. No magic or very little magic - turn inherent bonuses on.
2. Armor using characters will have to take their armor off during extended rests. If not, they will suffer a yet to be decided penalty. It will take at least 1 round and a standard action to put the armor back on. Also, there will be other times (riding in hot weather for example) when armor users will be affected.
3. A fortune deck of cards kind of setup - but we were at least given the option whether we wanted to take a card or not. I chose not to.

Okay, I had planned my Battlecleric with the thought in mind that I would have items that help with healing. Now, they are not going to be available. My character is going to be feat starved as is. Any suggestions on how to supplement my healing? We have a *very* large party, 9 players. There is a Bard in the party, so I should get some help there. He's never played a Bard before though so keep that in mind.

Thanks! :)

JohnnyO

First Post
Relax. The game just started.

You seem to be worrying about your character 5 levels from now. For all you know, he could be dead in a ditch by then. Just enjoy the game, and have fun.

Inherent bonus campaigns aren't that bad at all. You get less treasure, not none, and even if you can't get the item you want, take the Craft Magic Item ritual, collect components and make it yourself. The cost is exactly the same as if you had bought the item, so in effect you become your own item shop.

(This assumes the item in question isn't uncommon or rare. If they're that, you might not have been able to buy the item anyway.)

Armor is a bit more of a problem, but it seems like a 3.5 rule carried over into 4e. Night ambushes, IME, are very rare, and are held as a "threat" or "plot-pusher" rather than a more "valid" encounter. It's the kind of thing that happens if the PCs suddenly declare an extended rest at noon.

Wearing armor in hot weather inflicting penalties is pretty reasonable. The DM might allow ways around it, eg making Endurance of Nature checks. Also check out the Endure Elements ritual.

It seems like using rituals will help with a lot of your problems.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Also, take note that healing works a LOT differently than previous editions.

* Everyone can heal themselves once/encounter with Second Wind.
* Everyone can spend healing surges outside of fights to heal themselves.
* Your Heal can be used twice per encounter and is only a minor action so you can also ping and fight in the same turn.
* You (and others) can also make a Heal check to be allowed to spend a healing surge once/combat.

* Healing potions basically allow a person to spend a healing surge during combat as if they had their Second Wind. Some healing potions may give you a higher return on your Surge, but still requires you to spend one.

In short, healing in 4e isn't an issue.

Rune

Once A Fool
Hey gang. We started a new campaign this last Saturday at our local library and I think I need some advice.

I decided to play a Half-Elf BattleCleric. Problem is, after we actually started the session, some "surprise" rules were put into effect, with no discussion about them with the group beforehand:

1. No magic or very little magic - turn inherent bonuses on.
2. Armor using characters will have to take their armor off during extended rests. If not, they will suffer a yet to be decided penalty. It will take at least 1 round and a standard action to put the armor back on. Also, there will be other times (riding in hot weather for example) when armor users will be affected.
3. A fortune deck of cards kind of setup - but we were at least given the option whether we wanted to take a card or not. I chose not to.

Okay, I had planned my Battlecleric with the thought in mind that I would have items that help with healing. Now, they are not going to be available. My character is going to be feat starved as is. Any suggestions on how to supplement my healing? We have a *very* large party, 9 players. There is a Bard in the party, so I should get some help there. He's never played a Bard before though so keep that in mind.

Thanks! :)

Since you're a half-elf (pre-essentials?), consider taking a Paladin at-will as your racial encounter power (if it's not too late.)

With regards to the bard, it has been my experience that, while a cleric is a better deep healer, the bard has the potential to be a more versatile healer, if built for this, because it can take a multiclass-healing power for every class that provides one. The best part is, there is no rule preventing the bard from using multiples of these in a single round. In a large party, this would be awesome. This does eat up all of his feats for the first 2/3 of heroic tier, or so, but, I assure you, is a fun way to go. They make a great second healer.

As for your character, since you won't want to pick up pacifist healer (maybe--it's still useful against opponents who are not bloodied), consider making every power you choose a healing one--preferably with a strike built in. Don't hesitate to pick up another multiclass heal, yourself (which you can use in the same round as a healing word. Note, also, that the skald's aura multiclass feat from Heroes of the Feywild is an encounter power.) With a large number of players and only two healers, the more healing, the merrier.

If none of this suits you, consider rebuilding as a warlord and just flavoring with the trappings of a holy man. The warlord may not heal as well, but is great at buffing and has the battle part down. Plus, with 9 people in the party, there should be a goodly number of Action Points getting used (and corresponding bonuses applied). Remember, the quicker enemies get dropped, the less healing you need to do! (And, if another warlord joins the party later, those Action Point bonuses stack!)

Last edited:

Inherent bonus campaigns aren't that bad at all. You get less treasure, not none, and even if you can't get the item you want, take the Craft Magic Item ritual, collect components and make it yourself. The cost is exactly the same as if you had bought the item, so in effect you become your own item shop.

(This assumes the item in question isn't uncommon or rare. If they're that, you might not have been able to buy the item anyway.)

That won't be allowed. Magic will only be given out as the DM sees fit. Period.

Armor is a bit more of a problem, but it seems like a 3.5 rule carried over into 4e. Night ambushes, IME, are very rare, and are held as a "threat" or "plot-pusher" rather than a more "valid" encounter. It's the kind of thing that happens if the PCs suddenly declare an extended rest at noon.

Wearing armor in hot weather inflicting penalties is pretty reasonable. The DM might allow ways around it, eg making Endurance of Nature checks. Also check out the Endure Elements ritual.

It seems like using rituals will help with a lot of your problems.

I will look into rituals, since my Battlecleric gets the ritual caster feat for free.

A night ambush was our very first encounter in this campaign.

I just don't want to see my Battlecleric lose the "battle" part of his name because he has to devote resources that he normally wouldn't to make up for lost healing revenues/sources.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions gang. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads