• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric question: Combining turning feats

Tylias

First Post
Suppose a cleric took the feats Empower Turning and Heighten Turning. Could he/she use both of them on the same turning attempt?

Example:

A cleric uses Turn Undead, using the Empower Turning feat: this adds +2d6 turn damage at the expense of a -2 to the turn check. The same cleric also decides to use Heighten Turning on this turn attempt, gaining a +2 to the turn check in exchange for a -2 on turning damage.

Net effect: no modifier on Turning Check, but an additional 0-10 points of Turning Damage. The Cleric might well choose to use this option as his/her 'default' turning option.

Now, I am of the opinion that this is not seriously overpowered, especially considering that the cleric has invested two feats into gaining this ability. For pure clerics, this doesn't come cheaply. Those same feats could have been spent on strong combos for item creation, metamagic, Power Attack/Divine Might, etc. And nothing in the rules suggests that they couldn't be used together, or in conjunction with Quicken Turning. (These are 'special' feats and not Divine feats)

Yea or Nay?

Rybaer

First Post
My first inclination is to call it okay as well. I'd want to reread the wording on the feats and their use before saying that conclusively, though (don't have 'em handy...).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads