Cleric with Tenser's Transformation

bret

First Post
A cleric with the domain of Magic could cast Tenser's Transformation from a scroll. Still cost a fair chunk of change, plus it would normally have a chance of backlash.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Sejs said:
Win the deciding battle in a 10 year war with the Legions of Darkness. No dice rolling, the battle just goes, and stays in your favor...
Because it doesn't duplicate a spell,
5000xp, and has to be in the interests of the diety you serve, and the GM can decide whether it works or not.
Transport your entire party across the length and bredth of the planes to penetrate the Hidden World of Ur-Kannath, that was sealed by the Elder Gods...
See above
Divert a fifty mile wide river of lava that would destroy the Spired City, Corrinth, and pushing the burning flow into the sea. All without a single loss of life...
ditto
...or become a melee badass with a high bab, lots of attacks, and a bucket of hitpoint for a little over 2 minutes.

No, that doesn't seem out of tune for the power of a spell aquired with a Miracle at all. I mean heck, you're out 5,000 exp just for casting it in the first place.

No, you're not. Replicating spells is, quite specifically in the text of the spell, free.

And to whomever suggested that a wizard replicating divine power is the same?
1. Divine power sets your BAB to that of a fighter of the target's level, not caster level. Tenser's is probably a bit more powerful because it adds an (unnamed) bonus to BAB. OTOH, you can't cast spells after dumping out a tenser's...

2. A wizard would spend XP replicating divine power, while a cleric spends nothing replicating tenser's

Sejs

First Post
Oop, my mistake Saeviomagy. You do not pay the exp cost to replicate a Tenser's Trans, you'd just have to supply the potion material component. You are correct.

Berk

First Post
mmmmm wonderful miracle

anyways, potions of bull's strength aren't that expensive, specially not if you are casting 6th level or 9th level spells.

Doorf

First Post
You don't get BAB in epic levels, do you ?
I though it was atack bonus (to hit) not BAB.

Hmmm would 100th level cleric have 15 BAB (3 attacks) and + a lot to hit or 20 BAB (4 attacks) and still + a lot to hit (without any spells like divine power).

Btw you don't pay exp for casting tenser's transformation from Miracle.

Are you 100% positive EL book says that you can't have more then 4 attacks with more then 20 BAB, or does it say that when you advance to level 21 as fighter you don't get any more BAB.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Doorf said:
Are you 100% positive EL book says that you can't have more then 4 attacks with more then 20 BAB, or does it say that when you advance to level 21 as fighter you don't get any more BAB.

Unless I'm mistaken, it actually says BOTH (and that's all characters, not just fighters). The ELH is quite specific that you never get more than 4 iterative attacks (TWF being a minor exception, of course). PERIOD. Otherwise, the game would bog down beyond belief. If you're the DM, you can surely rule otherwise, but I really don't think you want that. However, it won't really break the game in this instance, and depending on your interpetation, it's not a big deal in this use. A 20th level cleric burning a 9th level spell to duplicate a 6th level spell who gets +10 BAB and other benefits for 2 minutes. Powerful, yes, but not really hideously unbalanced. Rather clever, really. Changing the range from personal, though...I'd judge that as a 5000 x.p. cost (i.e. no freebies for the fighter).

The bigger danger is the can of worms such a tactic would open if you give additional iterative attacks for higher BAB. There are other workarounds to raise it, and you'll see them soon enough.

As for worrying about balance for a 100th level character....well, if you can find enough creatures to slay to generate the experience to become 100th level, then I really don't think you need to worry about balance at that point, do you? I mean, at that point, you're facing multiple archdukes of hell and dieties in single combat, so I don't really think that balance is a prime factor by then.

Last edited:

Remove ads