• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clerical spell Harm, too powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johno

First Post
Can we just wait and see what the gurus at WotC do with harm in the revised PHB?

That way we can have a real good flame war going;
  • I told you so, I had this idea a long time ago...
  • Oh yeah, but in 1979, you posted this thread http://oldthread_no_longer_around.com
  • It should be a Fort/Will/No save!!!
  • Harm got the SHAFT!!!

I just can't wait...

dcollins

Explorer
Maybe we should just permanently tack one of these damn Harm threads to the top of the Rules forum and save everyone the bother of making new ones...

Last edited:

Ran

First Post
Maybe we just need one thing: ignore them! know what, harm is ok, heal is okay, 3rd Edition is okay, wait for revised to show by, send your harm questions to Wizards and wait...

See you in the next harm thread...

lol!
:D

Apok

First Post
I always liked the Contingency; Heal tactic v. Harm abusers. If you really feel the need to alter the Harm spell, how 'bout making it higher level? Keep Heal at 6th but make Harm (as written) 8th or 9th level.

It's a damn nasty spell, no doubt, but it's such an obvious tactic that I think only DMs or players who are unprepared will get caught with their pants down, so to speak. By the way, all of those spells listed by Lucius are valid anti-Harm tactics. True, they defend against the spell in an indirect manner but they are still defenses. Use fly, levitate, spider climb, and ranged attacks to decimate the annoying Cleric. Fighters can take advantage of anti-magic field to wade in & chop the poor sod to pieces. Repulsion & Bigby's are also great ways to neutralize any up-close threat. Once the Cleric is kept at bay, just pepper him w/ ranged attacks and spells 'till he drops. Rule of thumb; always take out the Spellcasters first. Clerics, Wizards/Sorcs, and Druids should be your primary targets in any major encounter.

Don't have a decent ranged combatant? Why the hell not!? ;) :D

Seriously, every party should have at least one, preferably two combatants who are competant with ranged missile attacks. Even if it's not their primary means of damage-dealing it should be a reasonable fallback. There are times when wading in and chopping the enemy to bits just isn't feasable or tactically sound.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Re

Harm is a dead horse until WOTC revises it. I am about 99.9% sure they will, but there is always the off chance that they do not.

Harm can be heavily imbalanced when used against the PC's, but I am thinking more of the DM nightmares when facing a powerful NPC. Very Brutal if the cleric and some melee set up a harm attack followed by a ready action on some powerful creature like a dragon, a demon lord, or a leveled giant.

It seems some DM's don't care, but I definitely dont' want my games screwed up by some cheesy tactic that requires the use of a vastly overpowered spell. This spell becomes even worse in the FR when cast by a Hierophant with arcane reach or even in the regular game if someone takes the feat that can turn touch spells into ranged touch attacks.

Can make for a very short night for the DM.

IceBear

Explorer
I agree. Even in one of the Dungeon Magazine, they had a sidebar on harm. In that they recommended a Will Save for half damage (I think) in order to avoid the players defeating the final boss (a white dragon sorcerer I think) too easily.

IceBear

da chicken

First Post
Ran said:
"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
- Alucard - in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Dude, that's Edmund Burke, not random character from a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads