Clerics of Sela (Proposed)

ajanders

Explorer
(Proposed for approval by the people who approve such things.)

Nomenclature

Clerics of Sela refer to things related to Sela as Selan.

Selan clerics often characterize themselves by the aspect of Sela they emphasize -- which is usually one of their domains.

Selan Clerics with an emphasis on Sela's aspect of architecture and stonework call themselves Masons. (and usually have the Earth Domain)

Selan Clerics with an emphasis on Sela's aspect of community, education, and unity call themselves Builders. (and usually have the Community Domain)

Selan Clerics with an emphasis on Sela's aspects of will, endurance, and accomplishment call themselves Commanders.

The Pillars
Sela is often depicted sitting equidistant between a white pillar of alabaster and a black pillar of basalt.
The white pillar represents Mercy, and is taken to represent her educational, healing, and good aspects. Good aligned followers of Sela often refer to themselves as "of the White Pillar".
The black pillar represents Force, and is taken to represent Sela's aspects of "Success...no matter the cost". Sela's evil followers often refer to themselves as "of the Black Pillar".
Sela's neutral followers think this whole business of pillars is pretty stupid and point out often that priests should worship the goddess and shut up about the pillars. They use neither term.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajanders

Explorer
Selan Beliefs

Sela, one of the seven sisters, is a deity of that reveres lasting achievements from mortals above all else. She is a deity of walls, and friendship, and traditions, and lasting bonds. Her name is often invoked at the beginning of partnerships or signing of treaties, at the start of new construction, and similar occasions. Ironically, she herself rarely stays at one location, not so much wandering the land as moving purposefully from location to location, shepherding along her various worshippers and projects. Her aid is rarely overt, however- despite her position as one who encourages community, she also encourages self-sufficiency, and thus often takes the role of a teacher and encourages her servants to do likewise. Her lessons are hard as stone: she expects her followers to be able to weather whatever may comes their way, and while some question whether she and her followers are too harsh, they are known to ask whether they are harsh enough.

Selans believe there is a Natural Law and Order to the universe, which permeates and ultimately controls all of existence.
Selans believe that Sela either knows or embodies that Natural Law and Order and wishes Mortals to discover this Natural Law and Order.
Selans believe that nothing lasting or significant can be done that does not accord with the Natural Law and Order.

Selans do not require other people obey the Natural Law and Order: if you want to make yourself miserable by fighting the Universe, you can. The Universe is bigger than you are, though, so you will lose.

orsal

LEW Judge
Could you change the label on this thread from Record to Proposal? It isn't Record until it gets approved; if it does get approved, it will be copied to the deities thread, which is already a Record.

So far, looks like a little flavour, not especially big change, but certainly inocuous. I'll vote in favour; I'll wait to make it official, though, until there's been a little time for feedback. Maybe some other LEW players have some interesting ideas to add.

Rystil Arden

First Post
orsal said:
Could you change the label on this thread from Record to Proposal? It isn't Record until it gets approved; if it does get approved, it will be copied to the deities thread, which is already a Record.

So far, looks like a little flavour, not especially big change, but certainly inocuous. I'll vote in favour; I'll wait to make it official, though, until there's been a little time for feedback. Maybe some other LEW players have some interesting ideas to add.
Sorry--my fault on having him call it a [Record]. I thought [Archive] was a [Proposal] that was approved and [Record] was just flavour stuff that was being stored (or at least, I think my Academy of the Chromatic Order thread with pure info in it was a [Record]).

Anyways, looks good ajanders.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Sorry--my fault on having him call it a [Record]. I thought [Archive] was a [Proposal] that was approved and [Record] was just flavour stuff that was being stored (or at least, I think my Academy of the Chromatic Order thread with pure info in it was a [Record]).

Anyways, looks good ajanders.
Your flavor record was GM material turning to fact. This isn't.

Interesting stuff. Need to digest more.

orsal

LEW Judge
Rystil Arden said:

I thought that was material already determined, with the thread provided to organize it in a convenient way? That's exactly what a Record is. This thread is a Proposal -- it's put out there to be voted on.

When I visit the LEW forum I scan the thread list for new threads. If I see a new Record thread, I'll think: reference material, but nothing new. That's not going to be a high priority for me to read unless I have an active interest in whatever it is recording. If I see a new Proposal thread, that'll be one of the first things I read, right after any games I am DMing, playing or judging. You want to let people know that their input (and, for judges, their votes) are being solicited, call a proposal a Proposal.

Rystil Arden

First Post
orsal said:
I thought that was material already determined, with the thread provided to organize it in a convenient way? That's exactly what a Record is. This thread is a Proposal -- it's put out there to be voted on.

When I visit the LEW forum I scan the thread list for new threads. If I see a new Record thread, I'll think: reference material, but nothing new. That's not going to be a high priority for me to read unless I have an active interest in whatever it is recording. If I see a new Proposal thread, that'll be one of the first things I read, right after any games I am DMing, playing or judging. You want to let people know that their input (and, for judges, their votes) are being solicited, call a proposal a Proposal.
Ah, got it--I figured it was just flavour info that didn't need voting.

Manzanita

First Post
I like this kind of stuff. Small enough to hardly warrent controversy or voting. But thanks for fleshing out the pantheon a bit, Ajanders! Yes.

ajanders

Explorer
I'm hoping defining the individual gods a bit will encourage more players to work with an existing god, rather than building their own.
I think I may look at the Dragon Greyhawk god articles for structure, then swing back 'round and do this again, only bigger.

It'll depend on how much time I have.

Bront

The man with the probe
I think we're close to being done with the pantheon, at least for creating more (I think there may be a few more proposals pending with them still, but baring those, we're good), and expanding the deities like this is good.

I vote YES

Remove ads