• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Clerics, Shields, and Spell Casting

Wik

First Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but...

Can clerics cast spells with a somatic component with a shield in one hand a weapon in the other? What about V,S,M spells, with the M being their holy symbol (which happens to be their shield)?

I'm getting two different readings on this, and would like to consult the ENWorld hivemind.

Mephista

Adventurer
For V, S, M and V, M spells (and S, M spells, but I don't think there are any) you just need your shield. For V, S spells without any material component, you need a free hand or the War Caster feat.

In short, your shield replaces the need for Somatic gestures in spells that require a material component and ONLY spells with a material component. In a way, there's no difference between V, S, M spells and V, M spells outside of niche cases (bound hands, etc).

The reasoning is this - in spells that require both a somatic gesture and a material component, the gestures involve moving the material components around. In spells that require a gesture (like Burning Hands), you have to make some kind of symbol with your hand (an hand fanned out that flames spring from). In spells that require a material component but no gesture (like Darkness) you just need to touch the object, which usually becomes the target of the magic.

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
For V, S, M and V, M spells (and S, M spells, but I don't think there are any) you just need your shield. For V, S spells without any material component, you need a free hand or the War Caster feat.

In short, your shield replaces the need for Somatic gestures in spells that require a material component and ONLY spells with a material component. In a way, there's no difference between V, S, M spells and V, M spells outside of niche cases (bound hands, etc).

The reasoning is this - in spells that require both a somatic gesture and a material component, the gestures involve moving the material components around. In spells that require a gesture (like Burning Hands), you have to make some kind of symbol with your hand (an hand fanned out that flames spring from). In spells that require a material component but no gesture (like Darkness) you just need to touch the object, which usually becomes the target of the magic.

Okay, that makes sense, but is there a way you can provide proof? I'm looking through the PHB, and seem to get two different readings, and was wondering if I'm missing something.

The PHB says:

(page 203)
Somatic: ... if a spell requires a somatic component, the caster must have free use of at least one hand to perform these gestures.

Material: ...a spellcaster must have a free hand to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components

Reading that, using a shield COULD mean it's used up holding the shield, OR it is holding the material component and is thus fine for Somatic. So, yeah, I'm wondering if this is clarified somewhere else.

ceejzz

First Post
I'm on mobile, so I don't have the link handy, but Jeremy Crawford discussed this in his sage advice column in April, I believe. IIRC his ruling is as Mephista says.

Wik

First Post
Looked up the article in question, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Awesome. You just gave my cleric 2 more points of AC. ;)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
No. You need warcaster. Even without the feat it's not much of a problem. Any round you want to cast, you sheathe your weapon. Any round you want to attack in melee, you draw your weapon. You don't get to cast and attack in melee too often, so you're ok doing this more often than not. If you can take Warcaster, it is a great cleric feat. I'd do it.

Remove ads