• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clerics with Access to Permenancy

Wraithdrit

First Post
So Mystrian clerics can gain access to the Permenancy spell (through the domain spells I believe). So what can they cast permenancy on? Just the spells listed in the spell? Similar spells?

A player of mine wants to use his cleric to cast a permenant detect evil on himself, argueing that its similar to detect magic in function and level.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or run into this before?

Antoine

First Post
Wraithdrit said:
A player of mine wants to use his cleric to cast a permenant detect evil on himself, argueing that its similar to detect magic in function and level.

I'd say detect magic is a 0-level spell, detect evil (or chaos…) a 1st-level one, for a start.

And about similarity in function, the 3.5 SRD allows permanency on detect magic, but not, for instance, on detect secret doors which is :
A. a wizard spell
B. 1st level
C. rather similar - with respect to effect, game mechanics, need to concentrate - to detect magic.

Which means, that similarity will not by itself allow a mystrian cleric permanent detect evil.

Then, the permanency list needs rethinking from the clerical point of view. So it's pretty much left to DM's appreciation.

And the wizard permanency list expension needs a lot of judgement too : in you're playing in a FR campaign, you probably aknowledge SRD rules that allow a permanent darkvision. But are you ready to accept a permanent blindsight (even under Underdark revised version) ?
Similarity could be a factor here, but what about game balance ?

Last edited:

Wraithdrit

First Post
Does the PHB list anything more than the SRD? Does it give any sort of guidance to other spells, or is it assumed to be just those spells listed?

Are there any example of FR based spells that specifically state that they can be made permenant?

Wraithdrit

First Post
I mean we are talking about spending a CHUNK of XP, much like making a magic item. It can be dispelled (though not easily), and doesn't work in antimagic areas... etc. So I'm starting to lean toward being a little more leniant.

Antoine

First Post
Wraithdrit said:
I mean we are talking about spending a CHUNK of XP, much like making a magic item.

Except for 1st-level and some 2nd-level spells, permanency will usually turn cheaper in XP than crafting an equivalent continuous magic item.

Storminator

First Post
Antoine said:
Except for 1st-level and some 2nd-level spells, permanency will usually turn cheaper in XP than crafting an equivalent continuous magic item.

It should cost less, since it will be dispelled. Once you can cast permanancy, you can expect to get hit with Dispels fairly regularly. One of them will succeed.

PS

sithramir

First Post
the_mighty_agrippa said:
By the rules, it's a permanent dispel. The magic is gone. I house ruled that to mean it goes dormant for 24 hours.

Wow i'd love to be in your campaign then! The whole point of why its cheaper for permanency is the dispelling effect taking it away forever and thus wasting exp. But with that my first spell at 5th lvl would be permanency!

Thanee

First Post
House Rule:

We changed Permanency, so that spells made permanent with it cannot be dispelled, unless they are specifically targeted. That is any area dispel or targeted dispel on the person fails to dispel these spells; you have to cast the dispel on the individual spell alone (which obviously only very rarely happens if ever).

About clerics and Permanency, they can only make the same spells permanent, a wizard can (which are only very few, since they cannot cast most of those spells). Of course, you can be lenient and allow some cleric spells of similar usefulness and power level in your game.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads