• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clerics, Wizards , Psions....3.5 ubbered or dwarfed

Sir ThornCrest

First Post
Been playing campaign once a week, every week, 6 hours a week for 6+ months now. Party has gone from 3rd to 15th level with 3 pc deaths along the way. Party consist of the following Rogue/Assassin 15th, 2 15th level Clerics, 3rd Wizard/3rd level Psion 9th level Cerebramancer, 15th Warlock, 3rd Ranger / 6th Wizard / 6th Arcane Archer.

My subject question is - Is it me or have you noticed in 3.5 a severe beefing of the Cleric and a semi dwarfing of the Wizard . That is the Cleric at all levels seems to be ubbered and the Wizard seems a little on the handicapped side, until mid level where his spells have greater impact. So far with my cerebramancer pc I have noticed myself using my psion powers 70 / 30 over my arcane spells. Psions by the way, SWEET! Dont get me wrong Wizards can and are very powerful at higher levels but in 3.5 Im just getting the idea they took a lot away from the Wizard whilst giving to the Cleric.

imo
Thorncrest

Testament

First Post
There is nothing, NOTHING a high level character can do that a cleric of the same level can't do better. Except an Artificer, their motto is "anything you can do, I can do better".

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
And still many parties have a hard time recruiting clerics. It's the class I see people most frequently consider as, "We have to have one, so I'll do it." Still, it's been pretty obvious since 3.0 first hit that Clerics were substantially better than other characters--especially when compared to wizards. I believe it's the combination of the need for healing and the perceived lack of potential DM interference--your god would disapprove of you taking this action--or something like that.

Turjan

Explorer
I agree with what was said about clerics, and I also think that the wizard has lost much of his appeal. In former editions you knew that you started out very vulnerable and powerless as a wizard, but you were rewarded with unique power in higher levels. Nowadays, fighters and even rogues (who remembers them :D?) can steal your show, let alone druids or clerics.

The beefing of the cleric was most noticeable from 2.0 to 3.0. In 3.5 the cleric was actually slightly nerfed, thought it still remains strong overall.

I have not played a wizard in 3.x, so I won't comment.

The druid did not get a boost from 2.0 to 3.0, but it got a BIG boost from 3.0 to 3.5

Psionicists were overpowered in 2.0, screwed up and somewhat underpowered in 3.0 and very good in 3.5.

FireLance

Legend
beaver1024 said:
It's more of a designer bias thing. The designers/developers likes clerics and druids and hence they're made uber?
Actually, I think it's more of a player bias. Many people don't like playing clerics, possibly for the reasons mentioned by Dinkeldog earlier (the assumption that your spells will be used for healing, potential DM interference), so the designers gave the class a bit more power to compensate.

Remove ads